Chapeau Exotic | Brouwerij De Troch

2.25/5  rDev -22.1%

3.25/5  rDev +12.5%

3.75/5  rDev +29.8%

3.3/5  rDev +14.2%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a very slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with minimal head and left some lacing on the surface and a thick ring of large bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are moderate to strong aromas of pineapples in the aroma, although these seem to be of an artificial variety.
T: Like the smell, the taste is dominated by pineapple flavors. There is a bit of sweetness but no tartness.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a light to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is very easy to drink and has pleasant flavors. It’s an interesting take on the style because not many pineapple beers are available.

3.28/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow with light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a very minimal head of large bubbles when poured which dissipates to absolutely nothing but a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of pineapple - stronger amounts of artificial pineapple with some hints of real pineapple.

T: Very sweet with strong pineapple flavors - very authentic pineapple flavor.

M: Light bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Too sweet to be easy to drink but it is enjoyable. Definitely the most interesting of the Chapeau Lambics that I have tried.

2.27/5  rDev -21.5%

Chapeau Exotic
Brouwerij De Troch

Pours a near lifeless pale gold, some active carbonation is seen rising to the top. The head consists of large bubbles.

Aroma of sour green apple, pineapple juice, cidery and quite sweet to the senses.

In the taste, cider like, more green apple skin, pineapple juice, musty cork. In the finish there is a very small tartness that just gets dominated by fruit juice flavor.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, drinks like scantly carbonated apple/pineapple juice.

Overall, this drink is very sweet and main stream. Not a whole lot of lambic flavor at all. It is basically juice.

Made the mistake of including this in a cider/fruit beer tasting I hosted tonight without having tried it before-hand. Feel so sorry for the people I gave this to. I really dislike this beer. Hot garbage meets spoiled, rotten fruit. Appallingly sweet, cloying, and just plain bad. Ghastly liquid, steer clear.

4.5/5  rDev +55.7%

Some how I managed to never see this bottle (or brewery) in the 4 years I have been drinking craft beer. I really wish I could turn back time to 15 minutes before I bought this beer. Not only would I not buy it, I would purposely bump the shelf and break every bottle so that no one else would have to suffer through this beer.

Pours crystal clear with no head. Looks like apple juice. No beer-like quality in the appearance. Aroma is overly ripe pineapple, pineapple jolly ranchers, and stale boxed white wine. Flavor is pretty much what I expected: pinneapple juice with a stale white wine oaky character. Extremely sweet, gritty, sugary mouthfeel on the teeth, and leaves an oxidized beer/wine flavor when its gone.

Avoid at all costs.

2.08/5  rDev -28%

375ml green bottle with no freshness date. Flavored with natural juices ... meaning sweetened.

LOOK: Clear pale golden, minimal lacing.

SMELL: Over ripened fruit, honey, pineapple, very sweet, oak, sweet wine.

TASTE: Sweet pineapple, chalky, oaky, musty cork.

Yikes!! Overly sweet, cork favor pretty much kills it for me. Not recommended.

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

Was looking for something different definately found it with this one. I found it to be above average and while I enjoyed don't think it will ever be a regular.

Pours a hazy orange/yellow wispy head smell and tast are borderline dole miniture cans, just happens that this is a beer.

While I can see why people either love or hate it, I would say give it a try at least once as it is very interesting.

2.01/5  rDev -30.4%

The wife saw this and wanted to try something pineapple. As a precursor to the the actual review, her response was "How can people give this a bad grade?!?"

A - Clear yellow beer, almost miller light-like, small head that left some stick on the sides.

S - Smells a little like rotten fruit and strong ether alcohol, strange as this is supposed to be a 3.5%. Lot of sugar and juice smell in there.

T - Disgusting, somehow this tastes heavy in alcohol, which doesn't seem possible. Must be some sort of screwed up chemicals. Something which kind of tastes like pineapples and citrus fruit is present, but not good. Do not like this one bit.

M - Light, sugary, clean finish.

D - It's easy to drink because of the low ABV if you like bad beer.

3.8/5  rDev +31.5%

Pours a clearish yellow color with a soap-bubbly white head. No lacing and low retention.

Nose is a funky cornucopia of peach/pineapple syrup laden upside-down cake. Mixtures of bleu cheese and pineapple come to mind...for some strange reason, I like it.

Taste is much cleaner than it smells. Pineapple flavors abound, just sweet enough with a surprising amount of tartness. What a perfect breakfast beverage! Tasty.

3.6/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served in a large plastic flute.

Now that I've found a bunch, I'm gonna go through as many of these flavors as I can. How could I not go for the pineapple first? It pours a clear golden cider topped by a few layers of large sudsy bubbles. The nose is backboned by a tart lactic-like blast, while some green apples and wet hay cross-hatch whatever space remains in the 'strils. The taste is mostly of sweet pineapple-y syrup, though some tapered lactic tartness remains on the back of the tongue and throat. Green apple-based cider notes also stand out. The body is pretty light, though I think it wants to lean toward the heavier side of light, with a light moderate carbonation and a kinda sticky feel. Overall, this is unlike most lambics I've had, but I really do enjoy it. I can't wait to work my way through the other flavors now.

3.7/5  rDev +28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Bobby for this one.

A: The pour is a clear golden color with a finger's worth of white head.

S: The nose is intensely sweet pineapples. I was surprised by the level of pineapple aroma in this beer, but was hoping for a bit of tartness as well.

T: This beer essentially tastes like a pineapple flavored Lifesaver candy. Again, I wish it was more than just sweetness, but in a sick sense, I really like this.

M: The body is medium with the carbonation fitting the same description.

D: This is sort of a guilty pleasure type of beer. I liked this one, though I don't know how much I could really drink at a time. Still, strangely enjoyable.

2.21/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours very pale yellow with no head, just a little foam around the edges, but with nice bubbles making their way up my glass. If Michelob Ultra and Champagne had a baby, this is what it would look like. Smell is very funky sweet with a lot of phenolic plastic aromas that are making me feel apprehensive about the taste. I am really not getting any fruity aromas, perhaps a little bit of apple. It actually smells kind of like whiskey and apple juice served in a brand new plastic cup. The flavor is quite surprising. There is a definite lambic tartness up front but not as much as I was expecting. Overall this beer has a lot of sweetness. Pineapple and banana like flavors really don't break through till the very end as you swallow. Only a rumor of the mustiness that I enjoy so much in lambics. A pretty thin mouthfeel keeps it from being cloyingly sweet. I have to say though that as far as drinkability goes, this is probably the one and only bottle I will ever have. What a bizarre beer.

Chapeau Exotic from Brouwerij De Troch