Vanilla Stout | Milwaukee Ale House

Milwaukee Ale House
Wisconsin, United States
ale-house.com

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by silenius on 06-15-2004

Reviews by silenius:
4.37/5  rDev +17.5%

Unfortunately, I got the last of this beer a week ago on my trip up to Milwaukee to unwind. It was 3/4ths a beer, so the bartender gave it to me for free.

It poured a luscious black/brown with a frothy head.

Nose was of black coffee and chicory with only the slightest hint of vanilla. I thought this might be cloying and sickly - over-the-top vanilla sweetness, but not so. Not so at all!

Not a huge beer, but a really nice surprise. If this was in bottles in Chicago, I'd buy it regularly as an everyday stout. Tasty!

Cask conditioning gave it a smooth creamy feel that was very nice.

3.69/5  rDev -0.8%

22oz imperial pint hand pulled from the Ale House's cask engine.

A-Huge frothy, tight mocha head that was identical to a nitro tap. Three fingers thick and maintained throughout. Soft black body.

S-A little light in this department. Roasted nut tones were dominant. A nice vanilla shot would have been welcomed, but it blended in a little too much.

T-Nice milk chocolate front followed by a sharp bittersweet chocolate finish. The vanilla was not all that apparent, but rounded out the flavor on the softer side.

M-Super smooth and rich from the cask. The beer seemed so thick, but the body was quite thin compared to the presence it made.

D-Truth is, if I see it on cask, I am probably going to enjoy it. They served this at the perfect temp (56F range) and the flavors really pulled through. Since I am not the biggest fan in the world of the type of stout I wouldn't frequent it, but it was still very enjoyable.

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%