Shotgun Betty Hefeweizen Ale | Lonerider Brewing Company

Lonerider Brewing Company
North Carolina, United States
loneriderbeer.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Shotgun Betty is a sexy, tough cowgirl who is always armed and dangerous. Don’t be fooled by her good looks, she will have you for an appetizer! That’s why we picked her to represent our Hefeweizen. Shotgun Betty is a wheat beer with rich, banana-clove nose and refreshing dry finish. Sound good? Try one. But beware, once Betty gets a hold of you there is no escape.

Added by wagenvolks on 01-16-2009

3.78/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I remember going to a little hole in the wall called Im Fass. This was back in the day when I was in the Army in Germany.
They served a hefeweizen with an orange slice floating on top. This, combined with the best soup and ham sandwich in Giessen, made me very happy.

This Shotgun Betty brings back memories of Im Fass, which is long gone now. I need to get some oranges to slice for the top of this beer. If only I could make soup like the owners did. God they must be 70 or 80 by now! There was something about that place that was like home. I hope they are still together.

But enough nostalgia. This is one fine brew. Yep Bananas and cloves. Some slight bitterness you would expect from a hefe. Head is more fluffy and short lived than than most people might like. But real hefeweizen is not known for sporting a rich foamy head like a stout. At least from my experience with German Bier.
I will be getting this on a more regular basis when I get a Job. Ha!
At 5.8% this is a little stiffer than German hefeweizen.

I did find some Licher hefeweizen at Aldis one time. But they are notorious for not having the same beer all the time.
For the record, I lived less that a K from Lich.

It is very satisfying to have access to such a good beer.

Thanks Lonerider!

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.94/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

3.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy Amber with a thick white head.

Smell: Grassy notes with cloves and citrus.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of sweeter grassy notes with clove and citrus aftertaste.

Overall: Great beer. Very refreshing.

4.22/5  rDev +15%

3.16/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.85/5  rDev +32.2%

3.66/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On one of my recent trips down to visit my aunt & uncle in DC, I came across a few of Lonerider's CANs in furtherance of The CANQuest (tm). I am now over 1,300 CANned beer reviews!

From the CAN: "Handcrafted"; "Ales For Outlaws"; "Part vixen, part vigilante, Shotgun Betty uses her sharpshooting skills to target those that show a weakness for wheat beer with a body that won't quit. This German-style hefeweizen features a rich banana-clove nose and refreshing dry finish."

I Crack!ed Shotgun Betty open and turned her upside down for a Glug that she was not soon to forget! This raised two-plus fingers of dense, eggshell-white head that quickly fell to wisps. Color was a cloudy Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7). Nose smelled like fresh banana bread straight from the oven! I know that it is stylistically appropriate, but I prefer my hefeweizens to be more clove-forward. It is a personal preference, but since it CAN be done, that is what I prefer. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. The taste was closer to banana ice cream than banana bread, but at least I was starting to perceive some of the clove esters. Finish was sweet, but not cloying. It was a decent rendition of one of my least-favorite styles. I CANnot recommend it, but YMMV. More of me damning with faint praise. Sorry.

3.17/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.12/5  rDev -15%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Very heavy in the banana flavored but overall it tasted okay. Not something I would go out of my way to find but it was a decent hefe.

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.01/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a can into a English pub style glass, a hazy gold color with lacing that lasts and a quickly disappearing head.

Smells of citrus right of the bat and actually very strong kind of masking other smells.

Taste was kid of flat and skunky, smooth but just an unappealing flavor...had real high hopes for this beer but just didn't deliver...won't buy again

3.99/5  rDev +8.7%