Krankshaft Kölsch | Metropolitan Brewing

Metropolitan Brewing
Illinois, United States
metrobrewing.com

Style: Kölsch

Brewed in homage to the beer of Cologne, Krankshaft is a pale straw hued smile in a glass. We throw in a little wheat malt to round out an easy Santiam hop bitterness. There are no Köbes to serve them up, but you should feel free to have as many as you like.

Added by emerge077 on 07-07-2009

1.5/5  rDev -60.5%

1.66/5  rDev -56.3%

I had this one on tap while in Chicago yesterday. I hadn't heard of it before so I thought I'd give it a try. It was a huge disappointment. It arrived a very pale gold in color with a light white head. It was very clear. It smelled of a skunked dortmunder lager and didn't have much "kolsch" to it at all. I was really disappointed. The flavor too, of skunked dortmunder. Bummer! It drank light but I hated it. Luckily the manager came by and asked us how our meal was and brought me a fresh Lagunitas IPA to replace it. Amazing and courteous gesture!

1.96/5  rDev -48.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured into an Hannen Alt glass on 10/22/12

Hazy, pale, faded, watery looking dull golden yellow. Two and a half fingers of smooth, fizzy foam. One half finger retention and thick drapes of lace.

The aroma progresses as such: soap (and lots of it), herbal hops, pears, light fruits, grain dust and wheat. The grain bill seem ok, but there's some funny business going on otherwise. Ugh, the taste is thinnish and riddled with unpleasantries. Neutered hops, and a paltry grain bill. Far too much in the way of fruit notions. The finish is dirty and hollow. The feel isn't any better - weak and watery body with overly fuzzy carbonation.

There is a skeleton of an ok beer in here, but, as is, this is is disappointing and difficult to drink.

2.25/5  rDev -40.8%

Poured from the bottle into a tumbler.

What an incredibly pale straw color and hazy body. This looks so weak looking with a white head that does not stick around, but keeps a small puck. I have never seen a Kolsch this light ever this looks weak.

Nose is sour, and smells like bile/vomit. NASTY! There is a hint of yeast and bread but I can't get past this bad nose. Hints of lemon pledge.

Taste improves a bit but does not help much, has an incredibly tart and sour hints on the finish and alcohol drying in the palate. Cotton mouth aftertaste in the finish bordering on malt liqour taking away malt and crisp. No sense of bread either.

Overall, wow this might be the worst Kolsch I have ever had.

2.3/5  rDev -39.5%

Bottle poured into glass

Appearance: Clear yellow with a very light layer of lacing.

Smell: Crunchy malt, almost hay-like with strong corn scent.

Taste: Corn, wheat and barley malts with a little bitterness and some alcohol flavor.

Drinkability: Having more than one is a struggle I'm actually giving away the rest if I can, if I can't I'm just going to dump the beer and save the bottles for my homebrewing. This is one of the worst local brews I've had. I haven't gotten the chance to try any other metropolitan beers. I hope metropolitan can put out a better product than this.

2.72/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

This is an ok Kolsch style lager. Pours clear and light golden color. Nice white head. Bitter, but not overpowering. Very drinkable beer, however I am not a fan of this style. A slight metallic after taste. I know quite a few people who love this beer, so I feel bad not giving it a higher review. That said, in my opinion this is an average beer at best. It's better than coors light, but not by much. I love supporting local breweries so I will continue to try everything that Metropolitan produces, but this is not my favorite.

2.86/5  rDev -24.7%

I drank this on tap at GI.

The beer is a super clear straw with about a finger and half of white head. Decent retention, ok lacing.

The aroma us super light, hardly gives off anything at all.

The taste is super light as well, all water pretty much. There is a light skunk finish.

The feel is super light.

The beer is very easy to drink, but its like drinking a glass of water, why would you want to drink it?

2.95/5  rDev -22.4%

2.97/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Krankshaft Kölsch from Metropolitan Brewing