Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

La Bracine Brune | La Brasserie du Pays Flamand

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Added by Clubchat on 05-03-2010

Reviews by yesferro:
3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Got this as a gift from my dear sister, purchased somewhere in northen France, smuggled into MS.

I had no clue what I had here, opened it at a beer tasting in poor ole 5% ABV capped MS. Looked pretty, nice head, dark brown. Smelled very fruity and tasted just like it at first, then ended pretty tart. A very nice surprise, if it was available around here I'd get it again, reminded me of a Rodenbach, but less rough on the stomach. I wouldn't mind having this more often.

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a chocolate brown color with a tan head that curtains the glass with lacing

Smell: Brown bread and coffee

Taste: Brown bread up front, with a spicy yeast character that becomes rather tart by mid-palate; after the swallow, the coffee flavor arrives in subtle fashion but the tart, sour berry flavor dominates

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate to high carbonation

Overall: Another of the unusual French beers, this one tasted at Brewberry in Paris; not really an Oud Bruin (but I guess that is the closest style if you want to put it in a box), this is a coffee beer with tart character; really interesting and worth seeking out if you are somewhere that this beer can be found

3.12/5  rDev -18.3%

Take this bottle at Pub St-Malo in Sherbrooke (Quebec), my first time with Brasserie du Pays Flamand

A = Pours a dark coppery brown with a nice foamy head

S = Dark fruity smell, fig, with a bit of brown sugar and sour candy, very interesting

T = Sweet caramelly flavour at first, cherries, fig here too, bit of goat cheese far in aftertaste

M = Fine for the style

D = Overall this is an interesting beer but this style is really not my favorite

La Bracine Brune from La Brasserie du Pays Flamand