Double Haul IPA | KettleHouse Brewing Co. (Southside Taproom)

Double Haul IPADouble Haul IPA
3.65/5
Double Haul IPADouble Haul IPA

KettleHouse Brewing Co. (Southside Taproom)
Montana, United States
kettlehouse.com

Style: American IPA

Double Haul IPA scores big with our hop-headed friends. Of course, the folks at NABA agreed, awarding it a gold medal at the 2008 brewfest. Brewed with lots of hops and a solid body, Double Haul IPA is a beer lover’s dream. After a couple of Double Haul®s you’ll feel like you’re out with your buddies and it’s FISH ON! for both of you. Cascade hops for flavoring and finish provide a mouthy cascade of hoppiness! Brewed with love and packaged to go, so…”Take me with you”.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-17-2006

4.63/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.46/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

AROMA: Medium citrusy hop nose, Cascade or one of the other "C"s; a touch of grassiness; a hint of toasty, biscuity malt, estery, more subdued than the typical AIPA, but inviting nonetheless.

APPEARANCE: Big rocky head (I could not pour all of the 16 ounce can into an Imperial pint glass at once, had to wait for it to settle a bit to pour the rest of it), nice lace as the head started to fall, even toward the end of the pint it maintained a solid 1/4 inch of creamy head. Brilliantly clear, deep copper colour.

FLAVOUR: Aroma may have been somewhat subdued, but not the flavour. High hop bitterness, medium hop flavour, solid malt backbone, some toasted malt notes, a touch of malt sweetness remains in the finish along with all those hops.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium carbonation, creamy mouthfeel, very slight alcohol warmth,

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Very enjoyably drinkable with an assertive flavour. I got this as part of a "sampler" box from a friend who had been out west (thanks, Ted!), and would have loved to have a couple more of these. Excellent choice!

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-reddish gold with a thick white head

S-very hoppy and piney but has an aged scent to it....almost as if there are belgian yeasts in there as well.

T-more than anything, this is just bitter. not very hoppy or anything else really. after-taste is very piney. this is an outstanding IPA.

M-medium carbonation with a good creamy finish to it

D-this is actually a lot better than I remember. I think I finally got a fresh can of it! It's a very easy sinking IPA and somehow unique, almost floral. I suggest this.

4.26/5  rDev +16.7%

16oz can from the On-Deck basement cooler. Originally purchased at the Bozeman Community Coop... don't remember the price, but I know it was pricey. Shared with a work buddy while listening to Sasha's Fundacion mix. Mine shared out of a Delirium tulip.

Big chunky head atop a hop hazed amber brew (maybe a little dark for an IPA)... lacing lasts forever.

Smell is big malts and bigger pine and grapefruit hops... fantastic.. mmmm! Reminds me of a DIPA w/o the caramel malts.

Taste is much more restrained, but still big in every way... oily hops... chewy toasted bread malts... nice bitter backbone... finishes with lip-smacking pine and citrus hops that linger forever. Medium body with good prickley carbonation. This beer is fantastic... I really wish I had a few more.

I've enjoyed dozens of these since last summer, and wish I had more. I will say it again, canned beer will revolutionize the industry... cans are cheaper than bottles... canning lines are a whole bunch cheaper than bottling lines... cans don't break, bottles shatter... bottled beer can get light damaged.. cans are impervious to light... cheers to cans; just make sure you drink it out of a glass. ;)

Edit: finishing this brew, I am realizing I only have 2 more cans in the basement.... I was planning on trading these away; but I may have to hang on to them until I can make it again to Big Sky country.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

This IPA is best served on tap. During a 4 day stay in Missoula, MT we hit both Kettlehouse locations, sampled just about everything they had available and, being a hop head, this was my hands down favorite.

I also consumed more than a few cans of Double Haul and, while it's the best beer in a can I've ever had, it definitely doesn't compare to drinking it fresh from the tap.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from the 16oz can into a Stella stem glass. Body is a deep golden color, topped by a fluffy, off-white head that has some staying power. Aroma of sweet, bready malt, grapefruity hops, and a touch of astringency.
Palate is rich, sweet biscuit malt up front that is quickly met with a good dose of hops that are heavy on the grapefruit. A touch of pine and mild fruit from the malt come through on the swallow. A nice, lingering bitterness hangs around on the finish, but is not overwhelming.
The body is right where it should be for an IPA, full but not thick, lively but not bubbly. An enjoyable brew, and a treat to have in a tall can. Hell, I smuggled some in to a soccer game the other day, so the packaging has served me well. Hopefully this will get distribution in Oregon soon.

4.11/5  rDev +12.6%

10/28/06- Picked up a four pack of these at the city store in Stevensville, MT.

Presentation- 16oz can with no freshness dating. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Deep amber in color pour. Full one inch ultra creamy and root beer float chunky looking head. Nice streaks and sheets of lace left behind.

Smell- Fresh woody hops. Pine and grapefruit come through, but not before the very large scent of bready malt hits.

Taste- Equal hop and malt profile. Pine laden for the most part, but also a nice citrus taste as well. Pretty deep malt is about the hop equal. Caramely and bready as in the nose. Nice meld.

Mouthfeel- About perfect level of carbonation. Chewy with a nice aftertaste.

Drinkability- One of the better balanced IPA's I have had. Might swing a bit more towards the malty side. Sessionable for sure, as I went through several four pack during my week stay in Montana. No metallic taste from the can which was a wonderful suprise. Not 100% sure this is an IPA though. It almost tastes strong enough to be a DIPA. Good all around beer worth trying though.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a plastic cup requisitioned from the Old Faithful Lodge cafeteria.
So, sue me - That's the best I can do given I'm not about to buy a pint glass at the souvenir store.
Pours dark amber and clear. The taste and mouth feel are smooth and not at all overpowering. Mild hops and citric flavor make this a very drinkable beer.
I'm impressed.
Update: On my return home I poured another into a pint glass.
Better than before with abundant head after aggressive pour.
I am very pleased that I picked up an eight pack in Missoula to bring home. I will very much enjoy each one.
Update a year later: Just as good as I remembered. I highly recommend this beer from the Big Sky Country.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

My first Montana beer, and from a can no less. Poured with vigor to produce a 3 finger light tan foamy head. Body is a rich shade of ancient amber. Leaves nice lacing. Nose is nicely hoppy but also sweet with hints of vanilla and ripe citrus. Enters the mouth and quickly lets you know that it is drinkable and refreshing. Has a soft up front hop character that is quickly balanced by a rich but dry malt presence. Super easy on the buds with hints of sweetness laced between lightly bitter bites. Mouthfeel holds some upfront malt sweetness and ends with a bitter feel that stays on the tongue. A solid beer I would buy more of if it were locally available.

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

Well, I thought I have seen it all, an IPA in a can. But this stuff is good. I could drink a ton of these and not look like an idiot dragging out a garbage bag full of bottles. A win win. Incidently the Cold Smoke also by Kettlehouse is near legendary status in this state. I travelled 180 miles to find Cold Smoke, but the only thing they had was Double Haul. Well, I could travel 180 miles for this also. All in all a great AIPA.

ABV = 6.5

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Received a 4 pack of this in the parking lot of the Laughing Dog Brewery from Vern, the rep who brings Idaho and Montana beers into Alberta these days. Thanks! From a 473 ml blue can. Pours out a clear burnished copper hue, tall foamy off-white head that retains well.

Clean floral and citrus hops on the nose, toffee and clean grains as well.

Clean biscuit and caramel malt up front in the flavour, spicy, herbal hops in the middle, with more spicy hops on the finish, and a clean yet herbally astringent aftertaste.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel, smooth silky texture with medium carbonation.

If not for the abv% this would make an ideal session ale, and that aside, it still makes a great offering to spend an evening with. Very clean on all fronts, yet strikes me more as an English IPA than an American based on the flavour profile of the hops, but that's merely from the lack of whollaping grapefruit in the mix. Definitely an IPA worth checking out, I hope to see more of this available locally sometime soon.

Double Haul IPA from KettleHouse Brewing Co. (Southside Taproom)