Cold Smoke Scotch Ale | KettleHouse Brewing Co. (Southside Taproom)

Cold Smoke Scotch AleCold Smoke Scotch Ale

KettleHouse Brewing Co. (Southside Taproom)
Montana, United States | website

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Formulated with Montana grown 2-row barley, northwest Goldings hops, and lotsa love, this hearty ale drinks very smooth. Not bitter at all and not too sweet either. Novice beer drinkers have been known to take a taste and then say, “WOW! That’s not what I expected… that’s GOOD!” A hint of roasted barley lends a slight coffee-like smoky finish. With a 6.5% abv, this beer is perfect after a day of rippin’ lines on area or your favorite back country getaway.

Added by beernut7 on 08-20-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 70 | Ratings: 252
3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

poured from the pint sized can into a tulip glass (the closest thing I have the suggested thistle glass)

A - Pours a very dark brown (nearly as dark as a stout) with a two-finger, rocky, tan head. Head is intact for most of the beer, and never really completely falls apart. Leaves behind a few splotches of lacing on the top of the glass and a wall of lacing at the very bottom.

S - Fair amount of caramel malt with hints of coffee and brown sugar.

T - Caramel malt upfront. The body is on the malty side of things, with caramel and brown sugar flavors, while the earthy hops linger in the background to balance things out. Flourish of brown sugar and earthy hops as the beer passes over the back of the tongue leads a lingering, slightly bitter-sweet coffee finish.

M - A little the weaker side of medium bodied with ample carbonation to give it a some a little bit of a creamy feel. I would like to see it even thicker and creamier.

Cold smoke is a damn good beer and an excellent example of a somewhat rare brew. In fact, I hadn't even heard of a Scotch ale (only Scottish Ales) until I did field work out in Yellowstone this summer (and brought this back). To me, this seems to be more balanced than the majority of brown ales (more hops), while still retaining an alluring sweetness. A better beer than Double Haul, and worth the $2.50 I paid for it within the park. I wonder what it can be had for on tap or at a more reasonable venue?

4.01/5  rDev +5%

My brother brought over a couple cans when visiting from Montana. Props to Kettlehouse putting their beer in cans. They explain that it's more environmentally friendly, especially for the many people that enjoy their beer while enjoying the river. Glass sinks and can break. I'd take this floating any day over something in a glass bottle.

I like the dark, red-orange color when poured in my pint glass. To me it looks like the tint of a brown ale, but upon looking at it more closely, it just looks deep dark red, not having much brown in it. The off-white head is substantial when poured from the can, and lasts pretty long.

Aromas are the weak point. Some sweet toasted malts. Maybe a little honey. Not very roasty smelling for as dark as it looks.

The taste is also deceptively sweet and smooth for a beer that looks this dark. Knowing that it's a scotch ale, I wasn't expecting a porter flavor, but it still caught me off guard. Flavors are subtle and pleasing. I wish I had more knowledge of this style of beer to compare it to.

This beer goes down smooth and easy. Despite having a nice head, carbonation is minimal. It's almost a bit too thin, but it isn't obvious.

This is a really approachable, broad pleasing kind of beer. I think it would be tasty with lots of different kinds of foods. If you can find it, give it a try.

3.28/5  rDev -14.1%

Can thanks to smellysell.
Beatiful looking beer with a nice dark opaque amber color and an off white head with some nice lacing.
Aroma is sweet and smokey, just as I expected with a crapload of malts to give it a decent balance from the smoke.
Taste is less smokey and much more malty. a little too much going on there for me to really pick it out.
Nice smooth creamy texture, coats nicely going down.
I could drink one or two of these, but I need my hops and this is a good one to have between a couple of hoppy beers to cleanse the palate as you will.

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 16 oz can a darker brown color with a tan head that stayed around a bit. Not exactly sure what the nose picked up but the taste was sweet malt, a touch of caramel, and an ever so slight bit of hop bitterness/bite at the end. Decent brew but I definitely prefer the Eddy Out over this one.

4.69/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

appearance: dark with an amber hue

smell: hints of cocoa and toffee

taste: nice notes of smoked malts, cocoa, and light notes of toffee

mouthfeel: creamy then airy then crisp carbonation.

overall this is an amazing beer and i recommend it to anyone. kettle house is one of my favorite breweries in the missoula area

2.43/5  rDev -36.4%

Got in a BIF. One of a very few potential saving graces of a wildly disappointing haul.

Poured into a Thistleglass. Nice 2 finger head with no lacing but many little bubbles left behind.

Aroma is too many Hops for a Scotch Ale. No matter how you describe or interpret it. Plus that "US beer phenolic ugg. Sigh. Ah well. Down we go.

Ah. Too bad. Utter crap.

Basically a food colored PBR. Well, not unexpected. Crazy high carbonation, as if we're 15 again and squirreling away Mickey's Big Mouth.

Let me describe this to you: 1. Grab some cheap, BMC beer (any) Decant it into a 16 oz. can. Add some dark brown food coloring. Put a "Scotch Ale" label on it and hope that some of the trailer folks want to spread their wings a little but really still want to drink to get drunk.

Time waster. Drain + pour. Not remotely a Scotch Ale. I cannot believe the other reviewers were drinking the same product as I.

3.39/5  rDev -11.3%

My brother who goes to school in Missoula recently brought this back for me.

Pours an nice dark mahogany, with a nice single finger of head that sticks around for a while, leaving a small amount of lacing.

Smell is of roasted & sweet malts. Nothing jumping out.

Taste is very similar to the nose, sweet roasted malts. Hints of roasted coffee beans, toffee...

Rather thin on the tongue, finishes clean with little residual taste in the mouth. Pleasant but nothing remarkable or noteworthy for that matter.

I guess I prefer, especially for this category, for the flavors to be a little more bold. Not a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination, just nothing that would make me go out of my way to get it again.

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%

16oz can poured into a glass

a: pours a deep brown with some ruby undertones. 1 finger of tan head, slowly dissipates.

s: malts, toffee, caramel, dark chocolate

t: mostly malts and a good amount of dark chocolate, some toffee and caramel still. very smooth, has a nice oiliness and chewiness to it that adds some depth. the drawback for me is that the carbonation is too high, which makes the mouthfeel off. the whole taste brings a very nice smoothness that the high carbonation puts off by bringing in a bitterness.

o: a very nice scotch ale, nice complexity with the different aromas and flavors. the carbonation is too damn high!

2.4/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Over carbonated nature gives an initial strong bite that's awkwardly bitter love lingering caramel notes are nice not a good scotch ale or even good compared to its Montana competitors. I reckon it's the popularity has more to do with marketing such as the yuppie nonsense on the can about snow skiing of all things.

4.01/5  rDev +5%

A - Poured into a snifter, a deep deep copper lets no light through. The longer I look at it, the more it looks to be straight up black. The soft white head offers quite the contrast to the dark, mysterious body. Imagine a porter with a white head. The head sticks around for a surprisingly long time.

S - Smells of sweet caramelized sugar, toasted bread and some dark fruits. Hop presence is not noticeable. Aroma is overall fairly quiet.

T - Where to begin... Lots of caramelization going on lending to some rich flavors of burned sugar and molasses with a definite bitterness akin to that of coffee/ toasted bread. Again, hops are not detectable, not that I was expecting them to be. Sweetness is right about where it should be, not cloying in any regard.

M - Outstanding. As soon as it hit my mouth I was blown away by the body on this beer. Exceptionally smooth. I don't know if I've ever had a beer that has a mouthfeel that stands out so much.

O - A really good malt-forward beer that I would love to drink again the next time I'm in Montana.

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

this is a good beer with no detractions.
pours nice dark amber color with a good sized head but little lacing
smell is sweet with a little bit of alcohol in the nose
the taste is nice a good nutty flavor with a good smoked choc. malt taste but no alcohol taste
the drinkability and mouthfeel are both good the ale is really smooth and a little thick

4.09/5  rDev +7.1%

Got this in a can in Missoula, believe that is the only way you can get it. Heard alot about it, so thought I would give it a whirl.

Appearance is rather ordinary, nothing to make you go wow, but a typical looking scotch ale. This beer however delivers in superior taste and drinkability. At 6.5 abv this drinks like a 4.5. A great Scotch Ale, and very good entry beer for those wanting to sample different styles without taking a big risk.

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Cold Smoke Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

This is a dark foreboding beast with a tan lingering head. 4

Nose is rich and toasty.

Taste is toasty, rich and layered. Well balanced with good carbonation.

Mouth fell is medium to full with a clean finish.

Overall its a good beer.

3.71/5  rDev -2.9%

Pops brought a can back from the west when he passed through Missoula.

SA Perfect Pint

A- Dark reddish mahogany color. 3/4 Inch or so of a white/tan head which dissipates quickly after taking a sip.

S- Slightly sweet, not getting a whole lot off the nose. Kind of corny.

T- Sweet and malty, semi-chocolaty, slight bitter finish with a twinge of coffee. Nothing really jumps out.

M- Very very smooth, moderate carbonation.

D- Quite drinkable, the smoothness is very enjoyable.

With the right price point I could see knocking back a few of these during a winter evening. Hopefully one day I'll end up in Montana to go skiing and make it happen.

2.91/5  rDev -23.8%

Doing some drinking of extra's I have gotten in trades. Not sure where this one came from but thnx anyway! Poured into my DFH signature glass.

Very dark amber color almost brown. Nice lacing and had a very small head that is off white in color

Smell - not much of any aroma a little sweet but not much there

taste - sweet and nice. Newer style to me light not overwhelming

mouthfeel - thin

Overall - would drink again but wouldn't seek out.

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

Spent a week in Missoula last September. Stopped in to the Kettlehouse Brewery and Tried this beer after being disappointed in their Bongwater porter (the name fits). I was very pleasantly surprised by this beer. Found this beer on tap most everywhere we ate on tap. The only other Wee Heavy I'd had was an Import from Scotland. This beer comes damn close!

4.58/5  rDev +19.9%

Appearance - off white head, love the ruby brown color
Smell - inviting - sweet honey, malt, and a slight herbal-smoky aroma, hints of baked bread and heather
Taste - what a scottish ale should taste like, clean and malty, not too "hot", just touch of smoke at the end, perfect imperceptible hop bitterness
Mouthfeel - medium to full body, not too thick
Drinkability - I want to buy a plane ticket to Missoula so I can access this beer continually. I fear it'll be far too long until this rare treasure passes my lips again.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Cold Smoke, another great Montana brew. The dark coloring and full flavor is a treat. Not one of those odd tasting microbrews where the brewer tried too hard to design a unique beer. This one stands on its own as a very drinkable scotch ale. A real treat with a light smoky finish. Is rated as 6.5% abv so buyer beware. Can sneak up on you if you're not carefull!

4.04/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

In a pint glass. It poured a deep dark brown with a hint of ruby. The 1 finger thick head settled into a thin film and left moderate lacing.
The nose is roasted malt, light esters, and a little brown sugar type sweetness.
The taste is my favorite part. The initial malt explosion features sweet roasted malt and coffee flavors with nicely balanced bitterness. The yeast provides a nice, light fruity ester profile alongside the malt.
The mouthfeel is full with moderate carbonation.
This is one of my favorite beers. The malt profile is right on. It always goes down smooth and is perfect for any occasion! I only wish I could get it more regularly. Try this beer if you can! Cheers!

4.8/5  rDev +25.7%

I may a bit biased in this review of the Kettlehouse's Cold Smoke. I mean it was one of the first beers I consumed legally in a brewery. For a few years not a day went by in which I didn't stop by the K-hole to get my hands on one of the many delicious beers they have to offer. But enough about the brewery.

Cold Smoke hold a place in my heart as one of the best beers to have graced my tastebuds. Like the name, a pint dripping with sweat and crisp white head, leaves me dreaming of the a days turns in the seemingly never ending cold smoke of a fresh powder day-- and its August.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Cold Smoke Scotch Ale from KettleHouse Brewing Co. (Southside Taproom)