Red Glare | Liberty Street Brewing Company

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by nickadams2 on 10-30-2010

Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 38
3.81/5  rDev +9.2%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 3/28/2016. Pours slightly hazy deep orange/copper color with a 1-2 finger dense and rocky off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice dense soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of caramel, brown sugar, toasted biscuit, light nuttiness/roast, grapefruit, orange zest, light pepper/pine, herbal, grass, and floral/toasted earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/bready malt and citrus/earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of big caramel, brown sugar, toasted biscuit, light nuttiness/roast, grapefruit, orange zest, light pepper, pine, herbal, grass, and floral/toasted earthiness. Moderate pine/grassy/spicy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, brown sugar, toasted biscuit, light nuttiness/roast, grapefruit, orange zest, pepper, pine, and floral/toasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/bready malt and citrus/earthy hop flavors; with a nice malt/bitterness balance; and minimal lingering hop astringency after the finish. Light-moderate dryness from bitterness, increasing through the glass. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy/grainy/sticky, and slightly resinous balanced mouthfeel that is nice. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 5.2%. Overall this is very good amber ale. All around good complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/bready malt and citrus/earthy hop flavors; very smooth and easy to drink. Just a bit too bitter and slightly astringent from the hops as you finish the glass; but very enjoyable for the style.

3.68/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a standard drinking glass (I didn't have anything else on hand).

L: A cloudy, orange/amber colored beer (as you'd expect). Thin, off-white head with a fair amount of lacing. Visibly carbonated. I added 3/4 of a point because the color was actually quite impressive.

S: Definitely a pleasant fruity smell to this one, with more malt than hops. Other than that though, it was very nondescript.

T: As has probably been said before me, the taste is by far the best part. The initial taste is a fine balance between hops and malts, which gives way to a fruity/chocolaty taste (sounds weird, I know...but it worked!). The finish is hoppy, but not overpoweringly so.

F: On the fuller side of light-bodied, and slightly dry. The carbonation is slightly prickly, but I honestly can't decide if it helped or detracted from the feel.

O: A very nice tasting amber with (what I consider to be) beautiful color. It's nothing fancy or unique, but it fits the genre well.

3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

Drank from a bottle, poured a shots worth into a shot glass to get a look at the color.
Pours a nice deep orange/amber color, as the name implies. Thin foam head.
Smells... I couldn't get what I was smelling, it was an interesting smell, almost fruity.
Tastes... I couldn't really tell what I was tasting, it was fruity, yet, it was chocolaty like a porter, yet, it tasted like a mild ale.
Felt smooth, light in carbonation, and went down really smooth, very easy to drink.

I wasn't sure what I was tasting, it was interesting, but not a bad interesting.

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Deep amber color. An off-white head. Decent lacing.

Smell: Not much to speak of here. It just smells like a beer. Piss poor description, but it does. Definitely dominated by malts, as you'd expect from an amber.

Taste/feel: Definitely the best part of Red Glare -- it reminds me of a Hefeweizen. That's what it really reminds me of, and I love that. It has a lot of banana in the flavor, and then there's some tasty malt in the finish. Very, very respectable beer. The feel is a bit above average, and it works well with this beer. The banana sweetness with the fizz makes this seem a lot like a Hefeweizen at first, but the finish is more reminiscent of an amber.

I like this one quite a bit. I'd gladly have it again .... especially if I happen to get it on tap at Liberty Street.

I picked up a bottle of Liberty Street's Red Glare today for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I have had a couple Liberty Street beers before but have never reviewed them and I haven't had this beer before and since they just started bottling their beer I decided to give this brew a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's not bad looking but it really isn't that eye catching. It poured a nice amber color that took on some ruby hues when held to the light with a fingers worth of off white head that faded to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it hardly left any lacing. This was an average looking beer, the color was nice, but head and lacing were disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with the malts which seem to dominate the flavor of this beer and have a medium amount of sweetness while imparting some sweet, grainy and caramel like aromas with just a slight nutty aroma. Towards the end comes a slight spicy aroma but I can't tell what it's coming from. Overall the aroma was pretty average and bland, it's too one dimensional.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with the malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and impart a dull grainy, bready and slightly caramel like flavor with a good amount of that cheap grain flavor that I get in a lot of Adjunct Lagers. I got no hops at all in the flavor of this beer and it sure could use some to balance out the malts. On the finish it has a lighter amount of bitterness and a pretty grainy aftertaste. The taste was average at best and pretty damn dull with only have some weak malt flavors.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, watery, slightly dry, on the fuller side of being light bodied, with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was pretty average, it was a little watery with a little too much prickly carbonation.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was an average at best example of an American Red Ale, it was pretty dull all the way around with no complexity or hops to speak of. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down fairly smooth and was pretty light, but the flavors did not hold my attention at all so one is enough for me, but If I didn't care about taste I could probably drink three or four of these, but that's not happening anytime soon. What I liked the most about this beer pretty much nothing, to me there was nothing that stuck out about this beer as being done well. What I liked the least about this beer was how dull and boring the flavor and the aroma were, those were a big let down. I wouldn't buy this beer again since it's not a good example of the style and a good Red Ale isn't too hard to find, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. All in all I wasn't a fan of this beer, it was pretty boring overall and it had nothing that made me want to come back for more, I have had some good beers from Liberty Street, but this isn't one, I hope their other bottled beers turn out better then this one.

3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

Appearance: Arrives with a clear amber color; the modest head that squats on top leaves no lace

Smell: Caramel dominates, with a hint of resin

Taste: The caramel flavors provide a lot of sweetness, up front, with a resinous pine flavor arriving at mid-palate to provide some balance though the finish is overly sweet

Mouthfeel: Medium body with low carbonation

Overall: If you like sweeter ambers, this beer will fit the bill; as i like to have a bit more hop balance in the mix, this is not a good fit for my palate

3.44/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: dark amber with lighter amber highlights. A thin beige head and not much lacing.
Smell:The nose is grainy with a bit of caramel malt.
Taste: I like the sweet touch of caramel followed by slightly toasted grains and a hint of grassy hoppiness. A bit watery around the edges. It is tasty.
Mouthfeel: The overall mouthfeel is soft and maybe a bit thin.
Drinkability: An easy drinking ale. No problem knocking down this growler.

4.07/5  rDev +16.6%

On tap at Liberty Street Brewing Co. Plymouth MI.

A_Dark red/ amber. Thin frothy white head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring. Lots of thin gobby lacing.

S_Very malt forward. Touch of spice. Slightly fruity.

T_Malt,spice,grainy,and fruit. Apricots and cherries come to mind.Very flavorful with no heat. Faint taste of grassy hops.

M_Thin and watery. Goes down very easily.

D_Very. P{probably my favorite red.

Red Glare from Liberty Street Brewing Company