Trippel Belgian Style Ale | New Belgium Brewing

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Ratings: 2,987 |  Reviews: 1,010
3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

3.66/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not as bad as I expected it to be. A bit boozy, diminished phenols and esthers but overall decent nose and mouthfeel and solid flavor profile, not too bad NB

3.44/5  rDev -10.4%

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

4.57/5  rDev +19%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.49/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, this beer took me by surprise.

It definitely has that Belgium yeast to it. However, it isn't as "smooth" as real Belgiums. It does an amazing job at hiding the 8.5% alcohol. The taste has some spice and pepper in it. I will come back to this beer as I am doing it from memory.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.14/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.74/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%

2.16/5  rDev -43.8%

As a lover of belgian trippels, who just returned from a six-year stint there, I was really looking forward to this beer. Ironically, my experience with this "belgian-style" trippel was nothing like a belgian trippel. Clearly off when poured it from bottle into wine glass. Nice amber color but it was clearly filtered. No head developed, even when swirled the remaining bit from the bottle to the glass. I was also expecting a spicey aroma, however it just wasn't there. The taste was very weak and unidimensional. Nothing like the complex taste of a true Belgian trippel. I would prefer that they gave this beer another name.

My experience seems to be quite different from the others, so I am going to give this beer another shot. Maybe the batch I got was mishandled during distribution.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

4.24/5  rDev +10.4%

4.06/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Picked up a 6pack at the local liquor store-- I enjoy other New Belgium beers, so I have been looking for this variety since Belgian Tripel is one of my favorite types of beer. The first thing about this beer to mention is the price-- $9.99 for a 6-pack! Outstanding price-- I'm used to paying around $22 for 4 Belgium-brewed Tripels. Just for grins, I just happen to have one of these open as I write this, and of all things, I also happen to have a good beer open to compare it to-- a bottle of Tripel Karmeliet!

For starters, the aroma is like flowers, with spice-- kinda unusual for a beer. Taste is mostly pepper, coriander, cherry, and a spicy end note. Compared to Karmeliet, Trippel has a bitter note at the end, and has more hints of fruit in the middle of the mouthful. Karmeliet has those excellent roasted grains, a lighter feel throughout the beer, and doesn't have the bitter ending. Of course, Karmeliet feels more refined-- but Trippel isn't exactly off point either-- remove the bitter end notes and it is a very good tasting Tripel.

Both beers feel similar, but Trippel is less carbonated than Karmeliet. The alcohol also comes into play at the end of the Trippel, but isn't offensive at all. Both feel medium-bodied, slight after taste for Trippel, but very little for Karmeliet-- but it is a very slight carmel taste that is very welcomed.

Overall, I compared both beers since I had both open-- and Trippel by New Belgium is indeed a good Tripel. Tripel Karmeliet is one of the best tasting Tripels made, and that actually showed me how good NB Trippel could be. Karmeliet is still more enjoyable and is one of my favorites, but if you consider price and availablity I will see NB Trippel in my fridge in the future too-- $9.99 for 6 of these is a steal! I recommend picking up a 6-pack of these if you find them.

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

New Belgium Trippel, 8.5% ABV. Pours thin and pale yellow, with a two finger white head. Nose is malt and spice, taste follows with a bit of a black pepper burn. Decent mouthfeel, overall very good.

4.21/5  rDev +9.6%

Look: Clear yellow, big white head
Smell: FLoral and spicey
Taste: Follows smell, ends with a pleasant wetness, a little banana and some fruity alcohol flavor at the end that is almost ciders
Feel: Moderate for style
Overall: An enjoyable beer that holds true to style

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is just pound-for-pound the best tripel for the price on the market in North America - at least if you're seeing it for $9 a 6-pack like I am. If it's more like $10.50 for you, that would give pause as there's some good options within that price range, but for me its pretty well the default go-to beer which I then spice up with some 4-packs of more expensive numbers for variety's sake.

While I could certainly list a number of others that I like better, I'm never disappointed by this one and it's an absolute steal at that price.

It's not particularly sweet, being more yeasty with a sharper spice note; credible complexity and mouth feel while being true to the style (not like one of those Belgian IPA's pretending to be a tripel or sugar in a bottle with a lot of alcohol).

Yes, if you don't mind spending, get La Fin Du Monde or Allagash or Weyerbacher or something like that. I certainly get those as well, but in conjunction with good old New Belgium Trippel rather than instead of it. Saves a good bit of money and this one always satisfies.

Great job by New Belgium here.

3.66/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: Pale amber color with a small foamy head and clinging lacing.

S: Fruity esters, ripe banana, and coriander.

T: Peppery spice and coriander predominate. Lot's of other subtle flavors I can't quite pin down. Some alcohol noticeable in the finish. There is a lingering bitterness at the end.

F: Moderate to high carbonation. Crisp, and almost seems to "bite" a little between the carbonation, alcohol, and pepper flavor, no in an unpleasant way, though.

O: I'm starting to come around to coriander in beer, but I am still not a huge fan. I get a ton of coriander in this beer, but I wonder if it sticks out to me a lot because I don't really like it. Coriander aside, I really like this beer. It is pretty complex and you can notice a lot of different flavors if you really try to parse it out. This is the first trippel I have had and look forward to trying other examples of the style.

4.17/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing