Trippel Belgian Style Ale | New Belgium Brewing

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

4.1

Ratings: 3,018 |  Reviews: 1,019
3.86/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

A - Pours up a crystal clear golden color with a thin white head.

S - Smells like an amber: spicy malt with hop highlights, but with a hint of alcohol

T - Tastes like an amber. Bready malts, spicy hop notes.

M - Thin mouthfeel is balanced by good carbonation.

D - An easy drinking beer that I would certainly drink over and over again. Even if it tastes like an amber.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter, light orange amber color with a thin white head that had bubbles on top that stay.
Smells of spice and floral notes.
Spiciness and Belgian yeast character rule the taste.
Light mouthfeel and well carbonated.
Overall I really like this beer and I am to a big Belgian guy. Very drinkable beer for the high alcohol content.

4.06/5  rDev +6.6%

4.29/5  rDev +12.6%

Nice flow into my glass resulting in a two finger head of dense off white, to very light yellow foam. Lace is a little broken, but has a good cling. Color is a 6 on the SRM beer color chart, with clear presentation and lots of micro bubbles. Smell is heavenly, with the almost overpowering aroma of peaches. There are also fragrances of melon, lime peel, and flowers. I wish the taste was a good as the smell, but it was a muted version, with flavors of peaches, slightly sour oranges...maybe tangelos, something in there is like Swiss cheese, and a whips of grapefruit. Mouthfeel is full and creamy, with a potent explosion of carbonation. There is a slight coating of sweet, sticky phlegm in the back of my throat, but it is sort of pleasing. Over all this was a great journey and the buzz is just what I needed. If I see the label again, I will most certainly put it in my shopping vessel.

3.24/5  rDev -15%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out of the bottle to a visible gold color and two finger white head. Lazy carbonation makes its way to the top.

Smells of sweet bread, citrus, coriander, and belgian yeast.

Tastes of sweet vanilla wafer and coriander, definite yeast and mild alcohol is warming. Some bitter hops I'd say balanced fairly well though in caramel malt.

mouthfeel is creamy and delicious. Perfect carbonation in this one, a highlight on the tongue for sure.

I could definitely session a few of these bad boys... Its alright, definitely not a choice trippel but for a sixer for 9 bucks its an ok deal.

3.76/5  rDev -1.3%

I was not as impressed as my fellow beer tasters. I though it was good, had a nice citrus flavor, but not as complex as I would have liked.

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: A nice slightly hazy deep golden color with a nice foamy white head that laced nicely, but receded quickly.

Smell: Yeasty, sweet and spicy. A very welcoming aroma, and very Belgian-like. Even better as it warms. I kept swirling and sniffing this one throughout. Very nice.

Taste: Even better than it smells. Sweet and floral yeast up front with flavors of Corriander and Banana. Finished sweet and dry. Was even better as it warmed slightly. Delicious!

Mouth Feel: Lighter body. Medium to high carbonation.

Drinkability: Very good. I love Belgian Blond ales and this one is very similar in style. Less of a true Belgian 'Tripel' style, but more like a good BSPA or Blond. The flavor profile got much better as this beer warmed in the glass. Very tasty, will definitely drink again.

*** Note: The people giving this beer low marks here appear to be beer neophytes who don't/can't appreciate this unique style.

3.86/5  rDev +1.3%

While this is not as potent as a traditional Belgian or Euro triple, this is the best offering the U.S. has had in the triple category for a long time. This beer is not as sweet as the Euro counterparts, but pours a beautiful, dark brown pour, minimal head and carbonation, a sugary, malty aroma and leaves a slight tinge of bitterness on the tongue.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours with a very good sized head, with a nice golden color. I was thinking trippels tend to be a bit darker in color, oh well.

Very pleasant aroma, some flowery notes as well as sweet fruits. I pick up what I believe are phenol aromas, I've never been much for picking up aromas like this, guess I'm getting better.

A very crisp feel starts us out, much crisper than other trippels I've had cross my palate. Yeast flavors show up faintly along with a bit of a biscuit flavor, like the Fat Tire. The flavor I notice so much in Belgians that I think of as "medicinal" shows up but is not unwelcome. A faint fruitiness shows up as does a faint alcohol flavor, though nothing distracting. Finishes with a light bitterness.

A fine American trippel, I wish I had received more than one bottle but I'm thankful for the chance to at least try it.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%