Trippel Belgian Style Ale | New Belgium Brewing

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

4.1

Ratings: 3,018 |  Reviews: 1,019

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

12 once bottle with a recommended date of October 6 2013. Lighter than most Tripels. But for me the taste really suited what I prefer in an amber ale. While not the high alcohol content of your normal Tripels, it is a great beer that can be sipped and savored. A great value for the price. This may not be my top choice in this category of beer it is darn close as it is not as filling if you plan on drinking a few. I did not grasp anything overpowering in a particular flavor or taste. Just a very smooth drinking beer with a little more bang than you think when you see 7.8%. This is my first six pack and I am sure I will be stocking up real soon. I can give a more detailed review then as I am battling a bad cold. I recommend this one highly.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

1pt. 6oz. brown bottle – Best before August 18, 2013

New Belgium Tripple Ale poured a rather clear orange gold with a very bubbly off-white 1-finger head that dissipated quickly to form spotty lacing on the walls of my snifter. The nose is lightly sweet; of light fruit and candy sugar. The flavor is similar to the aroma with yeast and hints of coriander added along with a light banana like flavor finish.

New Belgium Tripple is a good solid triple that is lighter for the style making it quite drinkable. However, it falls short of the “top-shelf” triples. I might add that it is a good value though…

3.94/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Poured hard, yields a finger and a half of white head, that recedes to about a half finger and recedes well. Nice lacing. The beer itself is a bright, clear gold with active yeast sparkling all throughout the body. Very good looking tripel, a surprising clarity.

S - Sweet yeasty smells up front, very bready with a coriander and cinnamon texture. Mild citrus notes, but mainly dominated by a wheaty, sweet yeast character. Very tasty smelling.

T - Bananas, sweet coriander presence, and malted biscuit flavor all up front. Sweeter than sweet, not for someone who isn't prepared for a diabetic coma. It doesn't have the same complexity of some Tripels, but it has all the necessary character. And it's not bad, I just don't feel like I could enjoy this taste far past one serving. Altogether pleasant, just sweet as sugar and hard to handle too much at once.

M - Syrupy, lively, thick. Active carbonation, almost refreshing for the body, but doesn't really gel the same way most Belgian ales do. Great feel, but lacking a very important texture I can't really describe.

O - Enjoyable beer, great representation of the style. I feel like it's missing a certain texture, and I feel like the sweetness murders this beers potential for being an all-day drinker, but it has it's charm.

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing