Trippel Belgian Style Ale | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Ratings: 2,987 |  Reviews: 1,010

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Trippel a couple weeks ago for $2.69 at Meijers. I'm a big fan of Tripel's and I am interested to see what New Belgium's take on the style is like, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but i'm sure it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks ok, it's not that eye catching, but it doesn't look bad. It poured a pretty clear yellow color that took on more of a darker golden color when held to the light with three and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing. This was a good looking beer with some nice head, but it was a little to clear for the style, good, but not great.

S- The aroma starts off with some malts that have a pretty high amount of sweetness and impart a grainy and biscuit like aroma that quickly gives way to some spicy Belgian yeast and some coriander, just as the label states. Towards the end I get some citrus and banana aromas followed by a pretty big bubble gum aroma that is the strongest I have encountered in this style. The aroma was nice but it wasn't as balanced as I would have liked and it was pretty sweet, I would say it's a little above average.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with the malts which have a medium amount of sweetness and impart some grainy and biscuit like flavors that are followed by a good amount spicy Belgian yeast and coriander. Up next comes a slight citrus flavor with a good amount of banana and bubble gum with a very slight alcohol flavor. On the finish I get a little more Belgian yeast and a lighter amount of bitterness with a spicy and banana like aftertaste. This was a good tasting Tripel, but just like the aroma is lacked the balance that the best Tripel's have, I think it's a little above average.

M- Fairly smooth, pretty dry, medium bodied, with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and pretty true to style I liked it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and I thought it was an above average example of the style, It had most of the things that I look for in the style with an extra amount of bubble gum that I don't normally find in this style. This beer had great drinkability, it went down very smooth, with enough flavor to hold my attention, one bomber is just enough for me, this may be the most drinkable Tripel I have had to date. What I liked most about this beer was the drinkability and the appearance, the mouthfeel was also noteworthy. What I liked least about this beer was the lack of balance in the flavor and aroma, I wish the malts stuck out a little more to balance out all that Belgian yeast. I would for sure buy this again when looking for a decent Tripel that won't break the bank, there's not many affordable Tripel's but this is one of them, I can see myself keeping a bottle or two in the fridge, I recommend this to anyone who likes the style. All in all this was a nice Tripel, but it doesn't come close to being one of my favorites, but for what it is and how much it costs, it's a bargain and a good no thrills Tripel. New Belgium did a good job with this beer and I feel like this is the definition of a solid Tripel, good job guys.

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

3.88/5  rDev +1%

This is a pretty good Trippel. All the features I like are here but some are more subdued than the very best of this style. Pours an almost clear dull gold into my Chimay goblet. Delicately bubbly white head with decent retention for this style. No lacing. Smell is fairly good. Light fruit, the apples and pears kind of thing. Some spices - black pepper and I guess coriander.

Good Trippel taste. Some of the best Trippels have almost a cheese kind of taste, probably from the yeast as well as light fruit and black pepper. It's all here, especially as the beer warms, just not as strong as some Trippels.

Mouthfeel is rich, a hint of an alcohol bite in the finish, but nothing that spoils the overall experience.

Definitely worth a try. A good Trippel in a 12 oz bottle....I will probably have this again.

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

You had this beer. Write a review.

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

2.92/5  rDev -24%

A- poured from a duece duece as the initial offering upon arrival in Michigan.

S - Sweet, banana, coriander.

T - This has a fruity zing to it but it just doesn't meld well on my pallet. I feel like I'm sucking on a banana peal.

O - meh. Below average offering for this style. I will not try this again.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

4.07/5  rDev +6%

Served from bottle , bought for a birthday present , fell in lust with this beer , just not love

Smell Almost a cheep wine smell to me , which really isnt a bad thing to me , fruity and spicy at the same time

Taste Can really taste the spices and hops put into this beer , at least I can, I can taste the alcohol in this if I really look for it

mouthfeel not over carbinated and a full tasting beer

Overall. I would drink this again , and again , not something I would want while mowing the yard but would probally go well wtih a fat pork chop off the grill

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Golden, transparent, nice lacing along top of glass. Signs of carbonation. It's clear for a tripel, without any chill haze.

Smell: Coriander. Some spiciness. Biscuit. Malt. Some citrus.

Taste: Coriander. Citrus. Spiciness. Bread. Alcohol. Flavors linger on palate.

Mouthfeel: Dry.

Overall: New Belgium Brewing just started distributing in Michigan, so I have had three of them in the past week. Their Fat Tire was mediocre and their Redtoberfest was alright, so I wasn't expecting too much out of this one. I was delightfully surprised. This is a really good Tripel, and the coriander helps out a lot. I highly recommend this one.

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing