Trippel Belgian Style Ale | New Belgium Brewing

4.1

Ratings: 3,036 |  Reviews: 1,023
3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale golden color that has a faint orange hue. One fingers worth of white head. The head falls to a rocky top that leaves sheets of lacing.

It has a medicinal aroma with hints of plastic, bubblegum, banana, and spice. As it warms there are hints of peach, and over ripened papaya.

It has a grassy / herbal flavor with a bit of a bite. The phenolic aroma robs from the delicate flavor.

Medium body, scrubbing carbonation, it starts hot and finishes cool.

Not bad, not great. The medicinal / plastic aroma take away from the good points.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

3.52/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from bottle into glass. As much head as you want, based on the pour, and it sticks around and to the glass.

I'm not drinking this side-by-side another Belgian, but it seems easier to drink. Seems lighter (7.8%) at least by taste.

Super carbonated and relatively easy to drink. It tastes complex, even if I don't know what I mean by that.

Would recommend, especially for the price. (I paid $10 for a 6er).

Photo of
3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance - Pours a clear, golden straw with a white, finger thick head. Head dissipates quickly, leaving behind a fair lacing.

Smell - Floral aromas, as well as bubblegum and banana.

Taste - Sweet and sugary. Syrup like. A bit of spice. Also, a faint presence of NB's trademark nutty bread flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Malty.

Overall - A commendable effort by New Belgium, but belgian ales just aren't my thing. Too syrupy, sweet and malty for my taste.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours clear golden yellow, with a medium sized dirty white head that decorated the glass with a fine web, and stayed until the goblet was empty.

Smell has spice, yeast, bready malts and a bit of fruitiness.

Taste is even nicer, malts balanced with a yeasty tang, spices, and a tart apple skin. The yeast taste lasts quite a while, reminding me of the great taste of this beer.

Feel is smooth, with good carbonation, and easy drinking texture. A little on the lighter side for a trippel, but still nice.

I was surprised by the complexity of this beer. As well, it doesn't have that New Belgium taste I get out of most of their beers, so this was very pleasant. I have no problem recommending this.

DOA

3.26/5  rDev -14.4%

Very little head when I poured it. Has a nice dark golden color. The smell was alright. Not that inviting.

This is the first Tripel I have tried so I had no idea what to expect. I assume most of them are similar to this one. I think it's a good beer. I would even get it again. Just not what I'm used to.

Tasted okay. Has a decent feel. It's a nice style of beer with a high alcohol content.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a stella artois goblet.

Inch and a half head, bottle-conditioned with very fine sparkly lacing. Head diminishes after a few minutes, except for a few large looming bubbles gathered on the edge of the glass.

Shiny, metallic, dark-devilish yellow. Aroma's of banana, clove, peach and slight orange peel. Solid taste of belgian yeast. Toasted wheat.. and soft cookie-ish texture.

Belgian's are always complex and hard to describe. I feel like I am going to have to review beer again this again. But I like it compared to other Belgian trippel's I've had, and it's much cheaper, bon appetit!

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing