Trippel Belgian Style Ale | New Belgium Brewing

Trippel Belgian Style AleTrippel Belgian Style Ale

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States

Style: Tripel

Our Trippel has always been a big, beautiful Belgian-style ale, but in 2015, we tweaked the recipe to include a new yeast variety and even more complex malt profile. This golden beer opens with a bold blast of spicy Noble hops, courtesy of Saaz and Hallertau Mittlefruh, and gives way to the fruity aromas offered by our traditional Belgian yeast. Brewed with Pilsner and Munich malts, Trippel is classically smooth and complex, and sings with a high-note of sweet citrus before a pleasantly dry finish delivers a warm, strong boozy bite. Give Trippel a sip to get you smiling.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Ratings: 3,084 |  Reviews: 1,039
3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

3.52/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from bottle into glass. As much head as you want, based on the pour, and it sticks around and to the glass.

I'm not drinking this side-by-side another Belgian, but it seems easier to drink. Seems lighter (7.8%) at least by taste.

Super carbonated and relatively easy to drink. It tastes complex, even if I don't know what I mean by that.

Would recommend, especially for the price. (I paid $10 for a 6er).

Photo of
3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance - Pours a clear, golden straw with a white, finger thick head. Head dissipates quickly, leaving behind a fair lacing.

Smell - Floral aromas, as well as bubblegum and banana.

Taste - Sweet and sugary. Syrup like. A bit of spice. Also, a faint presence of NB's trademark nutty bread flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Malty.

Overall - A commendable effort by New Belgium, but belgian ales just aren't my thing. Too syrupy, sweet and malty for my taste.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours clear golden yellow, with a medium sized dirty white head that decorated the glass with a fine web, and stayed until the goblet was empty.

Smell has spice, yeast, bready malts and a bit of fruitiness.

Taste is even nicer, malts balanced with a yeasty tang, spices, and a tart apple skin. The yeast taste lasts quite a while, reminding me of the great taste of this beer.

Feel is smooth, with good carbonation, and easy drinking texture. A little on the lighter side for a trippel, but still nice.

I was surprised by the complexity of this beer. As well, it doesn't have that New Belgium taste I get out of most of their beers, so this was very pleasant. I have no problem recommending this.

3.26/5  rDev -14.4%

Very little head when I poured it. Has a nice dark golden color. The smell was alright. Not that inviting.

This is the first Tripel I have tried so I had no idea what to expect. I assume most of them are similar to this one. I think it's a good beer. I would even get it again. Just not what I'm used to.

Tasted okay. Has a decent feel. It's a nice style of beer with a high alcohol content.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a stella artois goblet.

Inch and a half head, bottle-conditioned with very fine sparkly lacing. Head diminishes after a few minutes, except for a few large looming bubbles gathered on the edge of the glass.

Shiny, metallic, dark-devilish yellow. Aroma's of banana, clove, peach and slight orange peel. Solid taste of belgian yeast. Toasted wheat.. and soft cookie-ish texture.

Belgian's are always complex and hard to describe. I feel like I am going to have to review beer again this again. But I like it compared to other Belgian trippel's I've had, and it's much cheaper, bon appetit!

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing