Trippel Belgian Style Ale | New Belgium Brewing

newbelgium.com

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Ratings: 3,001 |  Reviews: 1,014

I am writing this as I am sipping my favorite beer in the whole wide world. (Which is the same beer I am reviewing, to dispel any doubts there might be).
I have had La Fin du Monde and Chimay White and many other Trippels, not to mention hundreds of other beers but New Belgium's Trippel stands out among them all. You could have one while you're grilling or cooking a Brazilian Bobo de Camarao. The 7.8% ABV is hardly noticable until it hits you.
I am not going to go into the details of appearance, aroma etc etc for this beer. It has had to be had to experience it. It is the Pliny the Elder of Trippels, of all beers in my book.

4.94/5  rDev +28.6%

A golden color that reminded me of the beers I used to drink. Smell of carmel and chocolate. Taste of strong chocolate. Mouthful is a feeling like no other. Goes down very smooth and drinkabity is a wonderful for a day of crinking with the good friends.

4.89/5  rDev +27.3%

Another celebratory pouring (welcome to the East Coast) into a bellowed pint glass. Hazy golden, more yellow than I expected, with a slowly dissipating pure white head. Great persistent lacing that forms cloud patterns. Smells like canteloupe on rye toast...which doesn't sound that good when I write it down, but it totally is. Taste follows suit--any number of combinations of fruit and grain come to mind. Best way I can put it is something almost like pineapple upside-down cake with like a Campari glaze. Utterly captivating. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, nice carbonation and a slight bitter aftertaste that isn't at all unpleasant.

People go ape for Fat Tire, but having had it, this might be the sleeper big dog out of New Belgium's regular offerings.

4.85/5  rDev +26.3%

4.85/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Very good with strong hints of hops.

4.8/5  rDev +25%

Bottle poured into a glass

A: A very clean and clear yellow-gold with carbonation bubbles escaping to the top to be with their friends in the creamy head. Small whitish head with lacing.

S: Fruity esters and nice hoppy top-notes. Also so phenolics that give a spicy sensation. (Reminiscent of a good weizen.) Some perfumy notes from the hops.

T: The top-notes for this beer are strong peppery phenol and banana-rich fruity esters. Nice Pils maltiness. Uncharacteristic of the style, however, the attenuation seems to be incomplete leaving perhaps too much sweetness behind. It is balanced nicely with the bitterness of the hops, though.

M: Well carbonated leading to tingling on the tongue. Medium body. There is a pleasant creaminess that I presume is due in part to the high alcohol (in combination with the nice carbonation?).

Notes: I haven't been a huge fan of New Belgium's offerings in the past, although I do greatly appreciate their company's ethos and wish to support them. Buying this great beer will have to be how I show my support of their mission. This beer captures the essence of this style.

4.77/5  rDev +24.2%

Pours a nice clear golden color with some layers of orange. Two finger frothy off-white head with good lacing and head retention. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles present.

Aromas of yeast, cloves, cramel and a floral scent, maybe roses. The smells are pretty big and beautiful.

Tastes of grapes, apples, yeast, cracked black pepper, and toffee. The hops a wonderful and are matched perfectly with the malt and yeast. This is well layered and almost perfect, every tastebud gets to take part.

It's tingly and spicey on the tongue with a buttery feel to the back of the throat.

I could drink this stuff everyday. It's so smooth and so well balanced and multilayered, that you can't put this stuff down. I'll buy again, and again,....

4.77/5  rDev +24.2%

If certain steps could be taken to improve my happiness, and that of doubtless others, I can assure you that one would be to get more of this fantastic brew around and about us, in unfailing supply!
Appearance: a slightly hazy, bright golden hue, and a large, luscious creamy white head, that remains for a spell, then dwindles.
Aroma: an explosion of fruit and spice, a gorgeous blend, a veritable fruit salad up in the nose! Tropical fruits, mango, banana, peach, apricot, citrus: yup, all that! A heavenly delight, swimming in sparkling sweetness!
On the tongue, a burst, no a blizzard of hoppiness, a dervish dance on the tongue, flooding the senses! Excellent, generous texture. Rich, sweet malt, though never to the point of cloying. Candied, honeyed sweetness and spice abounds in this happy ale, and the flavor lasts and lasts, every portion of the experience compounding it's overall effect.
One of my favorite American beers. Now why doesn't Trippel have the cult status of Fat Tire, that's the next topic for the Armchair Philosophers Club...

4.76/5  rDev +24%

I have found my long lost love....A long, long time ago (1995 or 96)..i was in Colorado on business...didn't know a lot about micros at the time...I picked up a bottle of something that I thought was the greatest beer I had ever had....I couldn't remember the name...now tasting this, I think this is the one....and I like it just as much now....

This is an awesome tasting tripel..sweet sugar cane, honey, a touch of banana and bubble gum....but never oversweet...that's where the saaz hops enter the equation adding a nice subtle balance and spicy finish....

I really like this beer..One of the best trippels I've had...Nose is only average to slightly above average but everything else is fantastic...body is firm and tight....a nice alcohol spiciness on the long finish...

A must try beer in my opinion...

Thanks Bditty for really making my day....

(Note to self: acquire more of this to cellar along with their dubbel..)

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing