Trippel Belgian Style Ale | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,007 | Ratings: 2,974
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber ($2.99) into a tulip. This is the leadoff hitter in a week of tripels.

A: The requisite hazy gold, but lacking the glorious frothy head characterizing the best of the style. This almost looks flat.

S: Light bubblegum and indistinct sugary sweetness, but nothing cloying. Pleasant, if a little muted. Intensifies as it warms.

T: All the hallmarks are here, but there isn't a lot of taste memory. Maybe a hint of the cilantro and an initial classic tripel taste, but this becomes muddled and indistinct. Not an impactful taste.

M: Thin for the style and less carbonated than this reviewer prefers.

O: A poor man's triple, but one that scratches the itch, especially given the price points of the best of the Belgians.

3.51/5  rDev -8.6%

On-tap at Sheffield's into a New Belgium goblet.

A: Crystal clear amber-gold body; two fingers of chunky white head show good retention and excellent lace. Nothing wrong here, and the proper glassware is a nice touch. Great looking beer.

S: Very sweet and fruity, with major influence from both yeast and alcohol. Overwhelming cooked banana aroma - seriously huge. Banana and booze, through and through.

T: Bready malt, fruity (banana) yeast, and mildly warming alcohol. Not bad, but not a great attempt at a Tripel.

M: Pretty nice. Medium body with moderate, superfine carbonation.

D: Drinks like at least 9%; way too boozy for its strength.

Notes: Not a bad brew by any means, and my new-to-Tripels friend quite enjoyed it. I won't be seeking it out again myself, though, as ethanol-soaked bananas aren't really my thing.

Cheers!

3.51/5  rDev -8.6%

12oz bottle served in a Duvel tulip. Poured a clear pale gold with lots of head. Spicy aroma with more clove than banana. A bit of burnt sugar and a little noble hop aroma. Medium bodied with some sweetness. Banana fruitiness. Plenty of carbonation. Aroma is nice, but it seems a little thin. Pretty drinkable for the ABV. Nice price.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours rather clear golden/straw in color with a fairly rich head. The head doesn't last too long but remains as a thin carpet on the surface and yields stringy lacing. Rather light in color.

Smell is up front with candi and sweet pear, a bit of lemon and coriander. And a decent piney hop presence. Spice is notably added vs. yeast driven. Yeast notes in general are pleasant though not very complex other than right after the pour. Would likely benefit from more vigourous bottle conditioning. Yeast notes do open with warming.

Taste is initially of light fruit and yeast and offers a light malt close. Unfortunately the malt structure wasn't quite what I was hoping for, rather simple, and yet not too sweet as a result. And the beer is a bit too high in carbonation but I think that is planned for given the lack of depth to the malts. Feel is decent and offers a light pleasant bitterness. Drink is good given the potency and not as simple sweet as many an American Tripel, giving it a decent balance.

Best thing about New Belgium may well be their bottles. Nice design, yes. But all their brews appear identical in a six pack, allowing a certain amount of comingling without raising awareness at checkout.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

This was my first trippel, so I'm no expert here. The first taste was very floral and citrusy, then I noticed the alcohol content sink in, and finally the coriander came through. A translucent, golden body sat underneath a small, 1/2 finger white head. Great lacing in my 12 oz glass, and zero floaties in the body. Not an anytime beer, but well worth the experience.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

A- pours a brilliant deep gold with high carbonation and a white head that dissipates quickly. decent lacing. needs more head retention though.

A- Pepper bread, alcohol and yeast. decent.

T- nice malt start with citrus and fresh bread/ doughy, yet some Alcohol is a bit evident. Coriander is there and a nice/different twist, Easy drinking.

M- thin body, with higher carbonation and a bit of warming, way to thin.

O- ok I was hoping for more from this beer, A bit thin and under complex for the style, overall average but still drinkable, a good starter.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured from bottle yellow/gold and completely transparent, carbonation floating to the top with foamy white head.

Smell: Average, just smells like beer to me. Can't really detect any spices or anything.

Taste: Original reaction is that I didn't notice much but detected a little peppery kick and very slightly noticeable alcohol. Think I enjoyed the beer more with the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light, carbonated and smooth. Enjoyable, good summer beer.

Overall: Above average but not great, I prefer belgians that are heavier and this one just didn't have a lot of distinguishing features. Don't mind enjoying this one on the back porch though.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

12oz bottle drank from my new belgium globe glass as the bottle suggests.

A- this one pours out a very clear and pale straw colored body with a small and lasting bright white head. small rings of lacing are left behind.

S- belgian yeast and sweet malts are the main attractions here. banana, clove and bubblegum from the yeast. the coriander that the label advertises is hard to detect.

T- belgian yeast and sweet pale malts. lots of the yeasty characteristics that i could smell (banana and bubblegum) and the coriander is more pronounced.

M- light bodied with a high level of carbonation. the alcohol is well hidden.

D- this one wouldnt impress the true connoisseurs of belgian style beers but its a decent attempt from an american brewer. id drink another sometime.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: This beer pours a straw golden color and is topped with a ½” of angel white head that leaves just as quickly as it showed up.
Smell: It has the typical Belgian spice smell, maybe not quite as much as expected, but there is enough aroma there to make me wish there was more.
Taste: Some Belgians over power with the spice notes this is not one of them. The taste goes along the same line as aroma not quite as much Belgian yeasty spice as I expected but I prefer a taste that doesn’t over power the taste buds.
Mouthfeel: This tends to be a bit the thin bodied side for a trippel but not by much it is rather close to what I expected.

3.49/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- Clear golden color with plenty of carbonation. Light white head dissipates quickly to a light halo.

S- Wheat and coriander. Bread aroma from the yeast. Banana nut bread.

T- Wheat flavors prevail. Bready. Bananas. Coriander. Spice. What I would call a holiday beer.

M- A bit over carbonated but light and easy to drink. A bit waxy.

O- I must admit this is not my favorite type of beer. It has its place but unfortunately not with me. I like beer and I can dig this but I won't seek this brew out. Good not great. With a disclaimer - not my cup of tea.

3.49/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Light brew with very thin head, lots of carbonation bubbles rising. Not much odor, really need to stick your nose in to get that "trippel" odor. Slight floral taste mixed with belgan wheat , alcohol flavor bites you at the end and then fades into some weird aftertaste. I'm not overly impressed

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

Strong citrus flavors. Hops (saaz) noticeable on finish. What is most dissapointing is the overwhelming alcohol flavor. I know the abv is high, but there is not enough malt/hops/citrus to be more noticeable than the alcohol. Average beer thanks to tasting smooth and being very drinkable. So a drinkable beer, but not overly flavorful.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

Had an Oktoberfest party today and this is one of the brews that was brought in compensation for me supplying the Oktoberfests. 12 ounce bottle, 7.8% abv.

Pours golden into my Duvel glass, almost looks like a dull version of Duvel. This just doesn't do it for me for a trippel. Nice lacing though.

Smells is spicy, clovy, with some banana in there. There is also some breadiness. Not anything too potent, average for a trippel.

Very spicy taste, not too sweet like others, somewhat reminiscent of Chimay though there is more bread flavor and a bit more of a watery mouthfeel.

I haven't seen many American brewers make any Belgian ales up to par. That being said this one isn't that offensive, but it is like a Tripel -light. Very Drinkable but not the most tasty tripel.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear golden color, with a moderate white head, some lacing.

S - Meh. Funk, for sure. A few floral notes. Vegetal elements, grass.

T - Clean, crisp ale, with a hint of the spice, but really quite mild. A few floral notes come through. Apple fruit. Unfortunately, most tastes are quite understated.

M - This is a very crisp, carbonated brew. No lingering. Surprisingly light, given the ABV.

O - It is a drinkable beer, very easy to knock back. Unfortunately, there were few markers that I'd identify as memorable. Not an unpleasant experience, but not particularly inspiring. I might order this if I wanted something clean that would stay out of the way of what I'm eating, but it is unlikely to become a go-to beer for me.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

Golden in color with a touch of amber. Long lasting white head. The aroma consists of feint peach, grain, and some berries. The mouthfeel is medium in body. Grain, spice and hops balance the malt sweetness. The alcohol is noticeable midway and carries through into the finish. This seems actually pretty clean for a trippel and goes down fairly well. Even better with food, I'd imagine, as this beer by itself doesn't seem to distinguish itself from other trippels. Curious as to how this would age.

Poured into New Belgium Globe Glass

Color is a clear golden orange. Vortex of carbonation bubbles from the etching. Pours a 1/2 finger white head. Leaves some thick, well-defined lace rings. Good-retention.

Aroma: musky/very yeasty. Bready malts. No the best tripel I have smelt.

Taste: Very yeasty. Slight banana nut flavor. Not a whole lot going on here. I am a little disappointed.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. A little crisp. No presence of booze which is a plus. Leaves a dry sticky aftertaste. Medium bodied. Good carbonation.

Overall, not something that impressed me very much. Many better tripels out there. There just wasn't a lot of flavor. I won't buy this again.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A= A darker yellow almost orange but still yellow I would say. Small head falls to a sheet on top and is constantly replenished by bubbles rising from it until about halfway through the drink and it just becomes a ring around the glass. Completely translucent and crystal clear.
S= Almost smells like a macro lager. There is a yeast presence and a tiny amount of sweet malt is there as well
T= Covers my tongue with an apple flavor a little alcohol and slight amounts of buttery yeast. I wanna say I'm getting like some grapes almost as well. Maybe grape skins.
M= Smooth and covering
D= Decent. Pretty average Trippel if you ask me. The way it covers my tongue is enjoyable though.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I didn't dislike this beer. It's about what I've come to expect recently from New Belgium Brewing. I'm not sure if that is a function of my tastes become more sophisticated or NB dropping some of their standards. I seem to remember loving all of their beers when I first tried them several years ago. At the time, they were mostly a Colorado brewery, now they have expanded, and I'm not sure they've kept all of their standards. In any case, this beer is decent, not a bad choice, but I wouldn't seek it out. Certainly, there was quite a bit of spice - otherwise I found the taste and the aroma to be strong, but not particularly unique or elite. It claims to be brewed with coriander. That's cool I guess, but it doesn't stop this from being a slightly better than average beer. For the price and the sexy art...I wanted a little better.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

In a Chimay glass (for effect). Pours golden amber with a light whitish head that dissipates quickly. Light fruit, belgian yeast and phenols in the nose. Mouthfeel is crisp and thin. Notes of beligian sugar, the yeast, coriander, with a crisp finish. When I say crisp, I dont mean hops, it ends with a carbonation-y crispness like carbonated water. Its not a bad thing.

look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Crisp-looking golden color. Quite cloudy with beautiful streams of carbonation. Small head which disappears quickly. I often feel torn when it comes to judge a beers appearance as I tend to really not care either way or the other. This might be one of the most beautiful beers I've seen though.

Pretty limited smell. The coriander is definitely noticeable, as are notes of yeast. Can't feel any malt or hops.

Has a caramel-flavor to it which an earlier reviewer compared to bubble gum, a comparison I very much agree with. Coriander is undoubtedly present. The carbonation is quite heavy, I would probably say overtly so.

I love the way this looks. Otherwise, it's a fairly run-by-the mill Belgian. Good, not great.

3.47/5  rDev -9.6%

Pour: 12oz bottle to tulip glass. Two finger white head over dull golden brew. A few bubble trails in the glass. Head descends rather quickly, having in size in about 20 seconds. No webbing remains, though some lacing and a significant halo.

Nose: Tons of fruity esters, tart Belgian yeast aroma. Something nutty as well, almost like popcorn. Grapes, peaches, peppercorns. Not overwhelmingly strong, but enough to get the hint.

Mouth: Enters mostly tart and fruity, but the nut flavor is still lingering. Flavors aren't really held together very well, a sweet yet tart fruit flavor finishes a bit too sweet. Almost like buttered popcorn. No depth really, everything is right up front. Gets quite warm for something that, on the bottle at least, is listed at 7.8%. Not my favorite example of the style. Peaches, cream, pepper corns. Mouthfeel is nice and sparkly. Have a 6 pack, it won't be a chore to finish, but I'd trade it for a 750 of a Belgian trippel if i could.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Surprising light in color; golden and see-through.

S - Fruity, mostly oranges, bubble gum.

T - Oranges and Ginger, a hint of the powder that is on bubble gum.

M - Light and refreshing, some carbonation, pretty smooth.

O - Overall a pretty good Tripel, but I expected a little more flavor a complexity. Surprisingly light and drinkable for a 7.8% Tripel.

3.46/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty golden color with a half of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved into a thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass, as well as wispy clouds that settled in the center of the top of the beer.

Aroma: Typical Belgian Triple-like aromas of yeast, malt, citrus, caramel and spices. I get floral aromas from hops, some sweet aromas from crystalized sugar, some citrus aromas of oranges and grapefruit, plus spices of black pepper, coriander, clove, ginger, finally, malty aromas of buttered bread.

Taste: Not as pronounced as I was expecting for a triple. There is some malt up front, followed by some citrus, like grapefruit, followed by more spice than I’m used to, spices like black pepper, clove and coriander. The beer finishes with some higher hoppy bitterness than I’m expected in a triple too.

Mouthfeel: Medium, with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 7.8%, there’s a good amount of alcohol present on the palate.

Overall: This is a pretty good American version of a triple, but not great. If offered, I’d happily drink it, but I’m not searching it out. There are way too many other better triples out there to get over this one.

3.46/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Dark hazy gold. Slight lacing on top that dissipates quickly.
Smell- Smells of fruit, grain, yeast, and spices.
Taste- Smooth crisp taste with an immediate sweetness. Aftertaste has a very slight hoppy bite to it. Not a boozy beer.
Mouthfeel- Fairly light and crisp with a lingering bitterness.

Overall, this is an enjoyable beer that is easy to drink considering the 8.5% ABV. The 43 IBU's is only experienced in the aftertaste. Would recommend

3.46/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a slighly cloudy, dull yellow body. Nice head, the bubbly body and head last untill the beer is gone. Smells malty, slight freshness, no hops. Tastes malty throughout, little hops, tart and spicy. Mouthfeel is clean, crisp and bubbly. Drinkability is good, but overall it's not my favorite tripple, too heavy on the malt.

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing