Trippel Belgian Style Ale | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,001 | Ratings: 2,958
3.38/5  rDev -12%

Pours a bright cloudy golden sunset. One inch creamy head. Alcohol on the nose with a strong malt background. Good carbonation and lacing. The alcohol is strong on the palate. Definitely a sipping brew. Significant malt presence yet the hops fight through on the back end.

I have enjoined NB's Abbey, but this may be too much for me. The alcohol is a bit overwhelming. Almost reminds me of drinking straight spirits.

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

Fat Tire: Tripple Belgian Style Ale
Poured a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass

A: Poured a very light golden orange color with a very light colored head and two-finger lacing.

S: Smells like what you would expect your average Belgian ale but with maybe a little more banana hints to it.

T: Sweet with a bite at the end and a heavy taste of alcohol. Mellow taste lingers after the gulp.

M: The ale had the right amount of carbonation but felt a little watery in the swallow.

D: It becomes more drinkable as it warms but if you are like me and like them ice cold, you may have to slow down if you plan on having more than just one.

Not a bad brew, overall. Its very comparable with a lot of the higher-end barley wines but at a reasonable cost, and in a convenient six pack. The alcohol content, coupled with the good flavor is nice as well.

Comes a golden amber with a white foamy head that has good retention and lacing.
Smells of sour yeast, pears and banana, and a musky scent too.
Tastes of a mildly bisquit malt quickly covered by the sweet banana and cloves, yeast and alcohol are present as well.
Has a nice bite but is still smooth and creamy. Semi-dry.
Not a huge fan of the style but I definately enjoyed this brew, no complaints.

2.34/5  rDev -39.1%

Very disappointed, and I hate to report it. This is a 2009 bottled. Pours nicely; golden yellow true to type. Lacy head skims the top. Carbonation quite high, higher than for the genre, lending a lighter-bodied mouth-feel. What's so disappointing? For one, smell: none except a hint of vegetal, not fresh cut grass or flower stems but perhaps, several day old cut Carnation stems. Flavor totally lacks any yeastiness and doughiness, the principal reason why I love trippels. Instead, there's some sort of vegetal, metallic (or is it alkaline--the word itself suggests what I'm reaching for) base underpinning this strangely bitter lageri-sh tasting ale: the greeny parts of asparagus or artichokes followed by what amounts to (in my recall--those days are over) sour mash. That this is a great brewery with its politics naturally and concomitantly bound up with its fabulous products and facilities makes it really hard to censure any product. This is the second failure I've tasted in Lincoln. Perhaps Lincoln stores do not know how to store product or perhaps the runts of the litter end up here, given that most tastebuds here lean to the Bud and Miller and even more, Keystone interpretations of beer. I can't quite reason through this glaring failure of beermaking.

4.46/5  rDev +16.1%

Golden yellow ale with thick head and nice lacing. Mild hops smell with a lot of rich aromas. Great, great, great, very complex flavors in this beer. Difficult for me to describe, but WONDERFUL!!! There is an after taste on this beer that i enjoy a lot, also very sharp refreshing taste. The drinkability of this beer to me is very high. Also has a very large ABV at 7.8%

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Smells of coriander, banana, banana bread, Belgian yeast comes through.

Taste is a little boring at first. As I progress through the bottle I enjoy the creamy banana and spicyness more and more. Perhaps it's the alcohol talking. A bit alcoholic for sure.

Mouthfeel is thin as expected. A little too thin I feel even for the style, but I'm not complaining.

Overall, hard to get a solid Belgian trippel for the price you can find this at. It's solid, well done and worth trying. I'm sure ill buy again.

But I'd recommend their Abbey Dubbel if you're looking to find a top notch American Belgian.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Not sure about the age of my bottle. The coriander only showed up towards the middle of the beer, and was gone before I got much further. A good beer I'd have again with no objections, but not one I'd choose over many others, either.

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Pours golden with a slight orange/amber glow. Pretty thick white foam head poured 1-1.5 fingers tall with decent retention dissipating to a covering with nice lacing.
S - Pretty strong aroma of fruit and flowers. A little alcoholic like wine. Smells slightly sweet and strong.
T - Strong flavor of sweet fruit is the overwhelming taste, maybe grapefruit? Follows is a good hop kick and finishes dry.
M - Medium to slightly higher carbonation and body. Slighty hoppy bite and leaves the mouth dry.
D - Interesting beer. Probably the strongest light colored ale I've had, flavor and scent wise. Very flavorful. Quite an enjoyable shock to the senses. Recommended.

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

Appearance - Clear golden orange body, 2 fingers of pure white head awesome lacing.

Smell - Coriander and lots of flowers and a bit of citrus while a nice scent its not the strongest.

Taste - Not as spicy as I thought it would be no yeast in this which is a big disappointment. Its more citrus in the mouth than I would like as well but not too bad.

Mouthfeel - Smooth but not very refreshing a bit dry in the finish leaving me wanting some water with each sip.

Overall - A good beer but not a great beer, I've got to say American made Belgian beers aren't the greatest at all its not the easiest style to copy. For only 7.8% I can taste all of it NB did a terrible job at hiding it. That said go grab one and see for yourself.

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I have mixed feelings about most Belgian styles and this beer falls right in place as expected. It has a distinctly banana aroma. I'm not always one for placing an aroma, but definitely banana on this one. My wife likes Blue Moon and as expected enjoyed this beer (high compliments from a non-beer drinker). The 8+ ABV is pretty well disguised amongst the pale yellow color and smooth white head. No lingering bitterness often associated with the higher ABV. The banana-biscuit taste of a Belgian ale comes through well in the taste and this will not disappoint if that is your thing.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

local ABC had this in the cooler, picked up a sixer price was no different then the rest of the Fat Tire ales

poured into a pint glass good.. appears to be natural carbonation, straw color with the malt- coriander nose, hops are a little subdued i would put this in same as Palm ,Duvel category , quite good and will have another. Reminds me of the Monksbrau we have had tripel yes... looks like they put some thought into this one .

3.54/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Aesthetically pleasing golden color, maybe a quarter inch of head that quickly fades, slight amount of lacing.

S: First thing that comes to mind is fresh-baked banana bread, in a good way. Then you can smell the spices, almost reminiscent of some Fall seasonal beers (ie: pumpkin).

T: The spices come through strongly, with a sweet taste lingering in the back of the throat. The alcohol is strongly hidden, definitely doesn't taste like it has the 7.8% abv listed. Could have used a little less spices, as the taste does begin to become too sweet for the style.

M: Noticeable carbonation, not too heavy, but definitely on the heavier side of medium-bodied. Lingers, especially on the back of the tongue.

O: Looks and smells better than it tastes, would definitely benefit from less spices. If you don't mind the level of sweetness, could be pretty sessionable. Would recommend to anyone who prefers malts to hops for at least a try. If i wasn't feeling too picky, AKA going to a grocery store for beer, and they happened to have this, I would consider picking it up. Decent beer, nothing special.

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a nice mostly clear golden color with a good two fingers of head. The head slipped away leaving some lacing down the sides of the glass. A constant light stream of bubbles continued to produce a thin white head throughout the beer. Smelled mostly of fruits, hops, and the peppery yeasty flavor common in almost all their beers. Tasting this was excellent. Nice fruity flavor up front with the peppery yeast. Fading away to a nice bready body and finishing slightly sour. The hops are noticable throughout. Quite nice. The malt showed a little more power as it warmed, but it stayed pretty balanced. Not overly sweet, but not too bitter either. Mouthfeel was nice. Moderate body. Dry finish, and smooth. As for drinkability, I've had several now, not all at one sitting, but I definately enjoy these. I've got two set back to age to see what happens, but overall, rather enjoyable, and I'll continue to pick these up when I get the chance.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

This was my first trippel, so I'm no expert here. The first taste was very floral and citrusy, then I noticed the alcohol content sink in, and finally the coriander came through. A translucent, golden body sat underneath a small, 1/2 finger white head. Great lacing in my 12 oz glass, and zero floaties in the body. Not an anytime beer, but well worth the experience.

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%

The first thing that I noticed about this beer was the hoppiness. This is very evident in the smell and the taste. Apart from the hoppiness, I really didn't believe the bottle when I read that It was 8.5% ABV. This beer is very tasty and crisp. Very clean aftertaste in my opinion.

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours out a darker yellow, leaves a great head with wonderful lacing-hard to believe this is a mass produced beer. Taste is fantastic, some fruit, floral accents, very yummy. Definite yeasty flavor, but not too overpowering. I taste some caramel in there too. High ABV, but masked well. I liked this beer a great deal, and it seems quite accessible and inexpensive, unlike many other Belgian beers.

2.91/5  rDev -24.2%

This is my favorite style of beer and initially I was happy to pour this addition to the NB list...unfortunately I doubt i'll go out of my way to have this again knowing there are many, many other examples that are so much more pleasing.
Poured from a bottle into Westmalle goblet, light, well carbonated head, decent lacing that last just a short time.
Absolutely nothing on the nose and how that is possible I'm not sure. I honestly put a lot into the smell and this is extremely lack-luster.
Taste is simply average at best without complexity and though the typical taste of a tripel is present, it lacks much of the yeast and depth of finer sessions i've had.
Mouthfeel is good and it's drinkable but really only has me wanting a more substantial example of this style. With no disrespect to NB I wish I hadn't sullied the Westmalle glass.

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

clear - yellow gold pour with bright white head about a half inch thick. Crisp carbonation -- almost soda like. No lacing. Head is gone after a few sips.

Grainy smell. Slight coriander drift.

Taste is dry. A little grainy. Alcohol is definitely present in the aftertaaste

Mouthfeel is dry, carbonation, hearty.

Overall, I'm not overly impressed with this brew. It IS drinkable, but I'm not so sure I'll want to do that very often.

3.67/5  rDev -4.4%

this beer poured a 1 and a half finger head and a light yellow to slightly peachy color. the head lingered at about 3/4 of a finger for several minutes. it has a very inviting aroma that was a bit more subtle than i expected. my nose detected coriander predominantly with some lemon and melon in the background as well as alcohhol especially as the beer warmed in the glass. this offering from new belgium is barely sweet enough for as bitter as it is. the brewers did not fool around in the bittering hops department. the mouthfeel is substantial but the lively carbonation keeps it from being heavy and it goes down quite well. finishes dry and b-i-t-t-e-r. a good beer but does not wow me.

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours golden and clear with a 2 finger off white foamy head with very good retention and sticky lacing.

S - Hints of coriander, flowers, and some dark fruit. I've always enjoyed the nose of this stuff

T - Follows the nose, with a splash of piney hops at the finish.

M - light to medium, oily, fairly smooth with some lingering bitterness but not overpowering.

O - Way back in the day, this was a staple of mine. Honestly haven't had it in years. Still enjoy it and think its well done. Tripel isn't my favorite style, but I do enjoy this beer nonetheless

3.57/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

L- crisp straw color with brilliant clarity. Mousey white head that is well-retained.

S- Yeast driven esters dominate the aroma with pronounced bubble gum character. Minimal hop character, some grainy pils-type malt.

T- Decidedly bubble gummy with spices to support (coriander, maybe citrus?). Alcohol presence is noticeable. Minimal hop or malt character.

F- Some residual sweetness that seems inappropriate for this style.

O- A pretty good Belgian-style beer. Too much sweetness and bubblegum for my taste, but no major flaws.

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

Looks carbonated and golden, two finger head that simmers down to a noticeable lace.

Smells of yeast, slight coriander, slight orange.

Tastes yeasty. Yeast is the most dominate flavor. followed up by spikes of coriander, and wheat.

Feels crispy and pleasant.

Overall, very good. This is the standard by which I judge Belgians.

3.94/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Burnt straw with a very nice long lasting head.
Smell: Boom! Very strong aroma of bread yeast, spice, and herbs (probably from the hops).
Taste: Good but a little rough and unrefined compared to top echelon Belgian Tripels. Hop bitterness is present. A little medicinal. This might need to be laid down longer.

A nice beer. One I would drink again.

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

This beer produces a thick white foamy head, which is desired for this "style" and the body is golden straw colored. Powerful hop aroma with some slight sweet maltiness to it. You can definitly taste the spicy hops and it is followed with a malty sweet aftertaste, much like the nose would indicate. I've noticed a very small ethanol tone for it's 7.8 ABV. It has a fairly thick mouthfeel with slight carbonation. Overall I think this is an okay beer. I don't think I would drink an entire six pack but this is one of the better New Belgium flavors.

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

Golden pale hazy look. Nice head that stays perched on the liquid the entire time, being fueled by tiny bubbles that float to the top constantly. Nice thin sticky lacing that dance the entire way down the glass.

Fruity yeasty smell. Flowery smell to it almost.

Pleasantly yeasty taste with nice sweet fruitiness. Bread taste (obviously from the yeast) with a slightly dry finish with alcohol faintly mixed in.

Nice bubbly feel that soothes the mouth.

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing