Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 995 | Ratings: 2,921
4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Pours golden with a slight orange/amber glow. Pretty thick white foam head poured 1-1.5 fingers tall with decent retention dissipating to a covering with nice lacing.
S - Pretty strong aroma of fruit and flowers. A little alcoholic like wine. Smells slightly sweet and strong.
T - Strong flavor of sweet fruit is the overwhelming taste, maybe grapefruit? Follows is a good hop kick and finishes dry.
M - Medium to slightly higher carbonation and body. Slighty hoppy bite and leaves the mouth dry.
D - Interesting beer. Probably the strongest light colored ale I've had, flavor and scent wise. Very flavorful. Quite an enjoyable shock to the senses. Recommended.

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

Appearance - Clear golden orange body, 2 fingers of pure white head awesome lacing.

Smell - Coriander and lots of flowers and a bit of citrus while a nice scent its not the strongest.

Taste - Not as spicy as I thought it would be no yeast in this which is a big disappointment. Its more citrus in the mouth than I would like as well but not too bad.

Mouthfeel - Smooth but not very refreshing a bit dry in the finish leaving me wanting some water with each sip.

Overall - A good beer but not a great beer, I've got to say American made Belgian beers aren't the greatest at all its not the easiest style to copy. For only 7.8% I can taste all of it NB did a terrible job at hiding it. That said go grab one and see for yourself.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

local ABC had this in the cooler, picked up a sixer price was no different then the rest of the Fat Tire ales

poured into a pint glass good.. appears to be natural carbonation, straw color with the malt- coriander nose, hops are a little subdued i would put this in same as Palm ,Duvel category , quite good and will have another. Reminds me of the Monksbrau we have had tripel yes... looks like they put some thought into this one .

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a nice mostly clear golden color with a good two fingers of head. The head slipped away leaving some lacing down the sides of the glass. A constant light stream of bubbles continued to produce a thin white head throughout the beer. Smelled mostly of fruits, hops, and the peppery yeasty flavor common in almost all their beers. Tasting this was excellent. Nice fruity flavor up front with the peppery yeast. Fading away to a nice bready body and finishing slightly sour. The hops are noticable throughout. Quite nice. The malt showed a little more power as it warmed, but it stayed pretty balanced. Not overly sweet, but not too bitter either. Mouthfeel was nice. Moderate body. Dry finish, and smooth. As for drinkability, I've had several now, not all at one sitting, but I definately enjoy these. I've got two set back to age to see what happens, but overall, rather enjoyable, and I'll continue to pick these up when I get the chance.

3.54/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Aesthetically pleasing golden color, maybe a quarter inch of head that quickly fades, slight amount of lacing.

S: First thing that comes to mind is fresh-baked banana bread, in a good way. Then you can smell the spices, almost reminiscent of some Fall seasonal beers (ie: pumpkin).

T: The spices come through strongly, with a sweet taste lingering in the back of the throat. The alcohol is strongly hidden, definitely doesn't taste like it has the 7.8% abv listed. Could have used a little less spices, as the taste does begin to become too sweet for the style.

M: Noticeable carbonation, not too heavy, but definitely on the heavier side of medium-bodied. Lingers, especially on the back of the tongue.

O: Looks and smells better than it tastes, would definitely benefit from less spices. If you don't mind the level of sweetness, could be pretty sessionable. Would recommend to anyone who prefers malts to hops for at least a try. If i wasn't feeling too picky, AKA going to a grocery store for beer, and they happened to have this, I would consider picking it up. Decent beer, nothing special.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

This was my first trippel, so I'm no expert here. The first taste was very floral and citrusy, then I noticed the alcohol content sink in, and finally the coriander came through. A translucent, golden body sat underneath a small, 1/2 finger white head. Great lacing in my 12 oz glass, and zero floaties in the body. Not an anytime beer, but well worth the experience.

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%

The first thing that I noticed about this beer was the hoppiness. This is very evident in the smell and the taste. Apart from the hoppiness, I really didn't believe the bottle when I read that It was 8.5% ABV. This beer is very tasty and crisp. Very clean aftertaste in my opinion.

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours out a darker yellow, leaves a great head with wonderful lacing-hard to believe this is a mass produced beer. Taste is fantastic, some fruit, floral accents, very yummy. Definite yeasty flavor, but not too overpowering. I taste some caramel in there too. High ABV, but masked well. I liked this beer a great deal, and it seems quite accessible and inexpensive, unlike many other Belgian beers.

2.91/5  rDev -24.2%

This is my favorite style of beer and initially I was happy to pour this addition to the NB list...unfortunately I doubt i'll go out of my way to have this again knowing there are many, many other examples that are so much more pleasing.
Poured from a bottle into Westmalle goblet, light, well carbonated head, decent lacing that last just a short time.
Absolutely nothing on the nose and how that is possible I'm not sure. I honestly put a lot into the smell and this is extremely lack-luster.
Taste is simply average at best without complexity and though the typical taste of a tripel is present, it lacks much of the yeast and depth of finer sessions i've had.
Mouthfeel is good and it's drinkable but really only has me wanting a more substantial example of this style. With no disrespect to NB I wish I hadn't sullied the Westmalle glass.

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

clear - yellow gold pour with bright white head about a half inch thick. Crisp carbonation -- almost soda like. No lacing. Head is gone after a few sips.

Grainy smell. Slight coriander drift.

Taste is dry. A little grainy. Alcohol is definitely present in the aftertaaste

Mouthfeel is dry, carbonation, hearty.

Overall, I'm not overly impressed with this brew. It IS drinkable, but I'm not so sure I'll want to do that very often.

3.67/5  rDev -4.4%

this beer poured a 1 and a half finger head and a light yellow to slightly peachy color. the head lingered at about 3/4 of a finger for several minutes. it has a very inviting aroma that was a bit more subtle than i expected. my nose detected coriander predominantly with some lemon and melon in the background as well as alcohhol especially as the beer warmed in the glass. this offering from new belgium is barely sweet enough for as bitter as it is. the brewers did not fool around in the bittering hops department. the mouthfeel is substantial but the lively carbonation keeps it from being heavy and it goes down quite well. finishes dry and b-i-t-t-e-r. a good beer but does not wow me.

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours golden and clear with a 2 finger off white foamy head with very good retention and sticky lacing.

S - Hints of coriander, flowers, and some dark fruit. I've always enjoyed the nose of this stuff

T - Follows the nose, with a splash of piney hops at the finish.

M - light to medium, oily, fairly smooth with some lingering bitterness but not overpowering.

O - Way back in the day, this was a staple of mine. Honestly haven't had it in years. Still enjoy it and think its well done. Tripel isn't my favorite style, but I do enjoy this beer nonetheless

3.57/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

L- crisp straw color with brilliant clarity. Mousey white head that is well-retained.

S- Yeast driven esters dominate the aroma with pronounced bubble gum character. Minimal hop character, some grainy pils-type malt.

T- Decidedly bubble gummy with spices to support (coriander, maybe citrus?). Alcohol presence is noticeable. Minimal hop or malt character.

F- Some residual sweetness that seems inappropriate for this style.

O- A pretty good Belgian-style beer. Too much sweetness and bubblegum for my taste, but no major flaws.

3.94/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Burnt straw with a very nice long lasting head.
Smell: Boom! Very strong aroma of bread yeast, spice, and herbs (probably from the hops).
Taste: Good but a little rough and unrefined compared to top echelon Belgian Tripels. Hop bitterness is present. A little medicinal. This might need to be laid down longer.

A nice beer. One I would drink again.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Not sure about the age of my bottle. The coriander only showed up towards the middle of the beer, and was gone before I got much further. A good beer I'd have again with no objections, but not one I'd choose over many others, either.

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

This beer produces a thick white foamy head, which is desired for this "style" and the body is golden straw colored. Powerful hop aroma with some slight sweet maltiness to it. You can definitly taste the spicy hops and it is followed with a malty sweet aftertaste, much like the nose would indicate. I've noticed a very small ethanol tone for it's 7.8 ABV. It has a fairly thick mouthfeel with slight carbonation. Overall I think this is an okay beer. I don't think I would drink an entire six pack but this is one of the better New Belgium flavors.

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

Golden pale hazy look. Nice head that stays perched on the liquid the entire time, being fueled by tiny bubbles that float to the top constantly. Nice thin sticky lacing that dance the entire way down the glass.

Fruity yeasty smell. Flowery smell to it almost.

Pleasantly yeasty taste with nice sweet fruitiness. Bread taste (obviously from the yeast) with a slightly dry finish with alcohol faintly mixed in.

Nice bubbly feel that soothes the mouth.

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I have mixed feelings about most Belgian styles and this beer falls right in place as expected. It has a distinctly banana aroma. I'm not always one for placing an aroma, but definitely banana on this one. My wife likes Blue Moon and as expected enjoyed this beer (high compliments from a non-beer drinker). The 8+ ABV is pretty well disguised amongst the pale yellow color and smooth white head. No lingering bitterness often associated with the higher ABV. The banana-biscuit taste of a Belgian ale comes through well in the taste and this will not disappoint if that is your thing.

1.78/5  rDev -53.6%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a Rochefort goblet. Looking at the label I now see that they recommend what looks like a tulip?

A- Clear golden, very transparent for a tripel. Very little head retention.

S- Wet hay, barn interior, cooked beets, little to no hops that I can tell, playdoh?? Odd.

T- Well what can I say? Grassy malt, lawn clippings, funk, slight sweetness but there's the beets again. Honey with mold on it or something. I'm not liking this very much. There's none of the qualities I've noticed in other Belgian-style ales. This is simply off-putting.

M- I'd appreciate the fact that a beer this clear lingers on the tongue more if it weren't for that damned beet flavor.

Well, I'm not a fan of New Belgium to begin with but I thought I'd give them another try since it was 3.49 for this 22oz bottle. Not impressed at all. I don't think I'll even be able to finish the bottle. I'm really confused since I know that a lot of people like them nowadays, so am I getting bad bottles or something? Truly awful. The rest of the bottle is either going down the drain or serving as the base for a marinade. I take that back, it's going down the drain.

3.86/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Clear golden body with a substantial white head and plenty of lacing.

S- Deep and layered. Peaches, esters and spice box. Hypnotic aromatics.

T- Hops are obvious right away, but yeasty flavors flow through the mid palate and some coriander and orange peel take hold on the finish.

M- Balanced- this has some sweetness, but the carbonation and angular/hard edges keep that in check. A ton of orange flavor lingers, but this is quite clean overall.

O- One of the best examples of domestic Tripel. They have been making this for as long as I can remember. Their yeasts show tons of depth and this masks the alcohol perfectly.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Hazy banana yellow color with a white head. Sweet aroma, a mix of fruity esters / spice from the yeast and sugary bread from the malt, no real hops to speak of. Sweet malty flavor smooths over the warming alcohol notes, there are some nice esters here, banana maybe. There is a nice balance between the bitterness and the body. A good tripel.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured from bottle yellow/gold and completely transparent, carbonation floating to the top with foamy white head.

Smell: Average, just smells like beer to me. Can't really detect any spices or anything.

Taste: Original reaction is that I didn't notice much but detected a little peppery kick and very slightly noticeable alcohol. Think I enjoyed the beer more with the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light, carbonated and smooth. Enjoyable, good summer beer.

Overall: Above average but not great, I prefer belgians that are heavier and this one just didn't have a lot of distinguishing features. Don't mind enjoying this one on the back porch though.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is my first Trippel and I am impressed. The beer poured nicely with 3/4" long lasting head. It leaves very nice lacing on the side of the glass. The smell is just wonderful, like sweet cloves. The taste is much like the smell, it starts out sweet with a touch of banana then finishes with a mild spiciness. It is nice to find a beer with a mild sweetness, but not too heavy of a body. I would call this a medium bodied brew. I really enjoyed this one and will definitely be buying some more.

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

Looks carbonated and golden, two finger head that simmers down to a noticeable lace.

Smells of yeast, slight coriander, slight orange.

Tastes yeasty. Yeast is the most dominate flavor. followed up by spikes of coriander, and wheat.

Feels crispy and pleasant.

Overall, very good. This is the standard by which I judge Belgians.

4.06/5  rDev +5.7%

This was one of the selections in a sample pack of New Belgium offerings I recently received from a friend.

Although I have had less-than-pleasant experiences with coriander flavored beer in the past, I must admit that this was quite enjoyable. The coriander flavor is very mild and the beer itself is quite good. Perhaps a bit too strong for a decent session beer.

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing