Spring Blonde | New Belgium Brewing

newbelgium.com

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by tbryan5 on 01-03-2014

1.6/5  rDev -54.9%

I am a huge fan of Belgian style ales. This beer intrigued me and I was excited to try it...I have had great experiences with New Belgium in the past.

The smell and appearance of Spring Blonde excited me, everything was great...until my first sip!

The taste of Spring Blonde was overwhelming...and not in a good way! I struggled through the first bottle of the six pack, hoping it would grow on me, and then dumped the rest down the drain. What a disappointment...I would highly recommend that you DO NOT try this beer! I have been extremely happy with all other New Belgium beers that I have purchased but this one seems to miss the target...so disappointing! :(

1.75/5  rDev -50.7%

2.25/5  rDev -36.6%

2.25/5  rDev -36.6%

2.33/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I'm not certain if I received a bad batch based on the reviews of this beer, but my experience was not good.

Appearance:
Looks a bit light for a Belgian ale, deep blonde color, filtered and clear.

Smell:
Smells a bit like something you'd find at a frat party with a bit more of a zesty note.

Taste:
Starts with a crisp refreshing light blonde feel, then quickly reverts to a somewhat skunky flavor like that of a very poor beer. Reminds me deeply of what you'd find at a frat party (Rolling Rock, PBR), though the aftertaste lasts even longer.

Feel:
Feels a bit bubbly in the mouth though smooth going down (aside from flavor)

Overall:
I was ecstatic to see a new Belgian/Blonde ale from NB and picked it up immediately. I have loved everything I've ever tasted from New Belgium until today. As I said, I'm not certain if I received a poor batch, but I'm incredibly disappointed with the quality of this beer. I'm amazed that a craft brewery (and such a good one too) could have brewed what I just drank.

2.35/5  rDev -33.8%

This "Blonde" tastes like a Pilsner with a higher ABV. Strange - I had it on tap initially and enjoyed it, in that form the alcohol was evident but it was refreshing and sweet. In the bottle, Pilsner sneak attack. Blech. A real swing and a miss from New Belgium.

2.5/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Spring Blonde from New Belgium Brewing