Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Love (Foeder #3) | New Belgium Brewing

4.2/5
Exceptional

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Single barrel, 3 year old wild beer.

Added by beerguy101 on 09-05-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

On-tap at Brewvival - I'm not sure if it's this or the "Love (Barrel 34)" so I'll go with the name as printed at the festival.

Pours a hazy golden-orange color with a thin white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of tart fruits - tropical fruits to lemon to orange - and vinegar. The tartness is just short of being over the top and is great.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Robust fruit flavors that are distinguishable despite the large amount of tartness associated with each. Earthy flavors come in to calm things down a bit midway through the sip however the fruit flavors still manage to carry through to a decidedly tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass (and a few more) absurdly quickly.

Overall this beer stood up to the best of Belgium (or anywhere else for that matter). Certainly one of the top sours I've had that were produced in the US. Well worth a shot if you see it on.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Straight from the barrel courtesy of Eric Salazar, wow the brewery tour you gave Lauren and I was insane man, this was one of the most memorable parts of it too, served in a small snifter, reviewed from notes on my cell phone

A-Golden amber color a little on the orange side, thin 1/2 inch aggressively bubbling white head, disappears pretty quickly, some decent lacing though
S-Funkiness, sour accents, lots of tart, berries, ripe lemons, candied sugar, granny smith apples, cherries, pears, peaches, and vinegar
T-This stuff is awesome and about as tart as it gets, not kidding that I tasted a different fruit each sip I took, even though they were each followed by the same vinegary finish, I sure did not mind being that I am a fanatic of wild ales, flavor could not have been much better, it had a jolly rancher-like sourness that held its own even once it warmed, nice mix of citrus and berries, funk was very nice too, the last few sips had a lot of pear in it and tasted similar to a cider but way better if that makes sense, wish I could drink more of this stuff while I was up there
M-Medium bodied, super tarty and partially sweet mouthfeel due to the abundance of fruit, no carbonation
D-Could drink this stuff until it came back up, highly acidic which would cut down on the amount you could handle, I could have had a few more small glasses no problem though, very inviting and refreshing for a sour

This is the base brew for Le Terroir and Eric's Ale which peaches are added to later on, the huge wooden casks that hold this stuff made me drool just looking at them, this beer is amazing and I want more as I am writing this review for it, highly recommended

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

On-Tap @ During the Toronado New Belgium party. Reviewed from notes.

Dark glowing golden orange, nice tiny meringue foam headon the top of this one. Aromas are funky and all over the place. Malt vinegar, dirt, spider webs, hat, sour cherry, etc. Taste follows through with sharp citric notes and funk. Very sour and vinegar like. Very authentic. Mouthfeel is creamy vs. prickly. Near perfection. Drinkability is GREAT. This is almost like a La Folie/La Terroir blend. Great f'in blend.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

Served on tap at Toronado in a six ounce glass.

Possibly the best blend of funky tartness and vinegary Flanders. It has super bold crisp tartness up front and the Flanders vinegar come is on the back side. It looks like a Flanders with a deep red body. It blows both La Folie and La Terroir out of the water. I drank it next to Cable Car and it easily held it's own.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Brewvial best in show! I easily drank my entrance fee worth in the love at brewvival. By the end we were blending it with la follie. Hazy orange pour with a thin head. Aroma is cherry, lactic and lemon. This stuff is cantillon sour which is always nice. Lemon, cherry pit, oaky tannins,funk, leather, earthiness and lactic. Really well balanced, super sour and easy to drink. I hope i'll get to drink this again some day

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Foedre 3, Sampled at the Falling Rock, GABF week 2008
The beer arrives with a hazy, orange tinged, amber hue and is topped by a light tan colored head. The aroma is very fruity and has a big, appetizing, backdrop of fruit vinegar; this last a sort of melange of apricot, rich grape, cherry and balsamic vinegars all tempered by a bracing oak character that adds lots of spiciness and a tannic wood character. The aroma is exactly what my nose was hoping for at this point.

The flavor is quite tart, with a substantial sourness to it that definitely leans towards vinegar, though the lactic character is still dominant. There is a fruity backdrop to the acidity that adds notes of apricots and sour cherries. I really am enjoying the acidity in this beer, it is a fantastic integration of softer lactic notes with a light, but sharp and expressive acetic acid character. I also really like the soft oak component that sneaks in towards the finish as well as the massive fruit character; really seems quite fruity for a beer that doesn't have any fruit in it. The acetic character in this beer is about as much as I have ever had in a beer; tthe fact that I have been sipping sour beers for a couple hours prior to this, really almost required something of this level of acetic character, it really helps to cut through to my palate and is very enjoyable.

This was simply a fantastic experience, I definitely am at a loss to describe this beer, but it was incredibly enjoyable and I was sad to see the last drop drain from my glass. I would love to get more of this to sample in a more singular setting, but have a feeling that if I get the chance it will be a completely different beer anyway.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last