Frambozen Raspberry Brown Ale | New Belgium Brewing

newbelgium.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by kbub6f on 11-03-2001

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip Style Glass. Like the name mentions, it comes out a standard brown ale color. When held up to the light it's still brown, but has many reddish features as well, has good clarity. There's an off white colored head that produces some good lacing and glass retention. A good looking beer.

I'm not a fan of fruit beers, but if I was, I'd say for raspberry fans, there isn't much room for improvement. Frambozen does have some traditional beer malt and hop aroma features, however the dominant smell is raspberries, hence the name. We're not just talking raspberries here though, we're talking fresh, sweet, and juicy raspberries. After that there are tones of of toffee malts and some floral hops.

Taste isn't nearly as good as the smell. Much like the smell, it's raspberries that dominate the flavor. My gripe here is that it doesn't taste as much like beer as the smell does. There's sweetness in the smell, but more of a tart, almost sour flavor from the raspberries, which kind of makes it like a wild or sour ale.

Mouthfeel is ok, it doesn't feel as clean as it looks. Slightly oily and a little yeasty. The tartness makes you pucker a little bit, and it doesn't finish that clean either, drinkablity is ok.

Overall it's a pretty good beer I guess. As I mentioned earlier I don't like Fruit beers and I'm not a sour fan either. However for the style and what it was going for I think it's creative and I can see why people would like to drink it. I don't regret trying it and I'd probably give it another shot in the future given the opportunity.

Thank you chugalug06 for this beer as an extra in a great trade!

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Frambozen Raspberry Brown Ale from New Belgium Brewing