Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Frambozen Raspberry Brown Ale | New Belgium Brewing

newbelgium.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by kbub6f on 11-03-2001

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a deep ruby with a big-bubbled off-tan head that quickly reduces to a thin-looking ring. Lacing is mild and spotty.

The nose is comprised of ripe raspberries, and just that. Maybe a touch of caramel, maybe. I'm starting to get really think that you can't make a fruit beer without it being completely one-dimensional.

The palate is, again, one-dimensional with regards to flavor, but I dig the structure- nicely sweet with a tart fruit edge and a lingering juiciness on the dry-malt finish, the only time I can make out the 'brownness' of this.

Not a huge fan of this, but I don't hate it either. I can't stand anything that doesn't have complexity in its aroma/flavor, but the mouthfeel is alluring enough to always make me come back for another sip, which is a nice achievement.

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

In honor of Overlord I poured this from the bottle into a Trinity (CO) tulip. Pours a nice deep brownish red with three fingers of slightly pink head. Smell was good. Mostly raspberries which is to be expected but it smelled more like a crate of slightly over-ripe, slightly musty raspberries instead of a handful of juicy fresh raspberries. Taste is a nice brown ale base well balanced with some tart fruitiness from the berries. Mouthfeel is nice, not too thin nor cloying with a touch of astringency. Overall this is a perfectly nice brew but doesn't really bring anything new to the table.

3.97/5  rDev +9.4%

not usually a fruit beer guy, but this brown ale packs a perfect mix of tart (NOT SWEET) raspberry fruit with some excellent caramel malts and the new belgium classic yeast notes. nose is sharp and puckery, with an boozey malty backbone. more balanced fruit in the taste, with a really smooth finish. this is a very sessionable beer and will be in my fridge again during this holiday season. a clever beer from new belgium, well done

3.12/5  rDev -14%

12 oz bottle into a snifter -

A - pours a deep, transparent red/amber color, with a three finger head of nice cream. The head is thick and inviting, and has a pink tint to it.

S - Smells of cream, raspberries, and toasted malts. There are some fruity esters present beyond the raspberries that I can't pick out.

T - Opens nicely with balanced raspberry, malts and a nice hoppy bitterness to counter the tart fruit. The open is followed immediately by a not-so-nice raspberry extract bite that's almost medicinal. Too Welch's-esque for me. I don't find any brown ale characteristics either.

M - smooth and wet. Medium bodied.

D - The New Belgium folk almost pulled this one off, but it falls short. Not a bad beer, but you could easily find better fruit offerings.

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

Having enjoyed this one a lot when I lived in San Diego (I found it in a suburb of Phoenix) and again when I first moved to Denver, I rashly bought a case. I think I gave away 5 or 8 bottles to a hooker, but I digress. poured a clear dark reddish brown with a large lasting tan head. Aromas of raspberry and cocoa. Palate was light bodied, smooth and a bit tart. Flavors of raspberry and a bit of cocoa with a smooth slightly tart finish.

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%

On-tap at the Brick Store at an event with Lauren Salazar.

Pours a slightly hazy amber-brown color with a cream-colored head that leaves decent lacing.

Smells of slight caramel malts with large amounts of sweet raspberries and strawberries.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though the sweetness is not quite as overpowering. Mildly sweet caramel malts with very light hints of toastiness up front are joined quickly by moderately sweet raspberry flavors. Very slight cocoa powder makes an appearance near the end, fading out into a mildly sweet ending. Mouthfeel is good, with smooth carbonation.

Overall I thought this was an interesting beer; however the sweetness was too much for it to be as robust as it should be.

4.37/5  rDev +20.4%

I do think this has one of the best aromas of any fruit-flavored beer, which is probably why I've liked it a lot over the years. Fizzy, champagne mouthfeel, reddish tint to the amber color in the New Belgium snifter.

Taste is a little sour, in keeping with real-world raspberries, with enough roasted malt to give it some mellow beeriness. Not much sweetness and a light body. Fruit flavor comes through on a high note.

Aside from the powerful fruit nose, it's a subtle experience. I can see why some may not like the flavor, but I look forward to it every year as a favorite Christmas seasonal, an alternative to the dark raisin bombs.

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle received in a trade with a generous BA who I will have to pour through notes to identify. Sorry friend, but in the meantime thank you.

Pours brownish burgundy with a thin white collar and some thin whispy surface coverage.

Smells of freshly pureed raspberries which is a high five. Underneath lurks an oddly sickening medicinal presence which is raw dogs.

Tastes is at best underwhelming and at worst gross. Raspberry puree from the nose falls flat and lacks any real punch. Sourness is muddled while being neither sour nor tart and the medicinal creeper from such prequels as the nose of this beer jumps from his shadowy corner to awkwardly say hello. The fruit isn't fruity enough, oh the inappropriate jokes in poor taste that have been lobbed here...but I digress...and the sour aspects just aren't really sour. Adding to the disappointment is that the base brown ale just decides to show up and puff his chest when really he should just go sit his dumb ass on the bench. Swing and a miss, ass hat.

Mouthfeel of brown sugared watered down promises.

4.6/5  rDev +26.7%

This brew is over 6months old and is aging wonderfully! Frambozen is also one of my all time favorite brews... With that said, now for the review:

A - Amazing red color with great head and lacing. Head pours fluffy white and remains for quite sometime while the brew "settles". Color of brew is brown with amazing red tint...

S - Super raspberry! Elegant, smooth, delicious... Very berry and sugary scent.

T - Quite tart. Almost a sour brew... Not overly sweet and sugary. This is one brew New Belgium is still on top of their game on... Amazingly great taste, only a slight taste of booze... It would be hard to make it taste any better!

M - Very light body, yet rich and decisive. Carbonation is high and give a seltzer sort of feel... Perhaps NB could lay off a little priming sugar ;)

D - Phenomenal, it's all I can do to save a 6 pack into the summer months every year... Can't put it down, or pick up and take on a *small* sip. YUM, delicious!

A must try if you're a fan of fruited brews, or sours for that matter! More Frambozen please!

Cheers!

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

I didn't initially realize this was a brown ale til I poured it. I was expecting a pale beer with some reddish pink hues. Instead it pours a medium brown with the reddish hints. The head doesn't stay long but early on it's an offwhite with touch of pink thrown in.

You'll either really like the smell or really hate it. It's like a cross between berries, cotton candy and icing.

I expected the raspberry flavor to be overwhelming, but it wasn't. It's a sweet beer, but not cloying and the raspberry really functions in the background, particularly in the finish.

This thing will clean your palate with the carbonation. There's an almost vinegar-like quality to it.

I liked the beer. One of the better fruit beers I've had. Is a good beer any time, but would make a fabulous warm weather beer.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip Style Glass. Like the name mentions, it comes out a standard brown ale color. When held up to the light it's still brown, but has many reddish features as well, has good clarity. There's an off white colored head that produces some good lacing and glass retention. A good looking beer.

I'm not a fan of fruit beers, but if I was, I'd say for raspberry fans, there isn't much room for improvement. Frambozen does have some traditional beer malt and hop aroma features, however the dominant smell is raspberries, hence the name. We're not just talking raspberries here though, we're talking fresh, sweet, and juicy raspberries. After that there are tones of of toffee malts and some floral hops.

Taste isn't nearly as good as the smell. Much like the smell, it's raspberries that dominate the flavor. My gripe here is that it doesn't taste as much like beer as the smell does. There's sweetness in the smell, but more of a tart, almost sour flavor from the raspberries, which kind of makes it like a wild or sour ale.

Mouthfeel is ok, it doesn't feel as clean as it looks. Slightly oily and a little yeasty. The tartness makes you pucker a little bit, and it doesn't finish that clean either, drinkablity is ok.

Overall it's a pretty good beer I guess. As I mentioned earlier I don't like Fruit beers and I'm not a sour fan either. However for the style and what it was going for I think it's creative and I can see why people would like to drink it. I don't regret trying it and I'd probably give it another shot in the future given the opportunity.

Thank you chugalug06 for this beer as an extra in a great trade!

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into strange tulip type glass -

A: Poured a translucent ruby color with light brown hues,one and half finger head that seemed to hold it's retention ,thick sticky webbing as it subsided,good carbonation.

S: Light raspberry hints with slight malts.

T: Raspberry upfront with a mild creaminess. some sour notes with a decent malt backing,some light chocolate hints as well.

O: Overall this was a light crisp and somewhat refreshing fruit beer,my first fruit beer and although It's not my favorite style I would drink it again as a desert beer or a night cap.

3.48/5  rDev -4.1%

The beer pours a dark brown with some red highlights and a tan head. The aroma is heavy on the syrupy raspberry and is very sweet overall. I also get a little bit of caramel malt but it is hidden behind the sugary fruit notes. The flavor is more of the same. There is a lot of raspberry and sugar, with a little bit of caramel malt. The beer tastes nice, but it is very sweet and gets hard to drink as you go along. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.12/5  rDev +13.5%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Simple yet elegant lableing. Classy.

Appearance - Pours a slightly cloudy reddish deep amber color with a 1 1/2 finger tan head that dissipates slowly into a frothy coating that leaves a very nice lacing.

Smell - Smells of brown sugar and roasted malts overlayed with a raspberry tartness.

Taste - Starts out with the sweet tart raspberry flavor followed up by a toasty chocolaty malt flavor. The flavors blend together very nicely with a slight bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - A fair amount of carbonation help give this a medium bodied feel which was crisper than expected.

Drinkability - Smooth and tasty making it a very very drinkable offering.

I really enjoyed this offering as it was different than anything I had ever had. Highly recommend!!

Frambozen Raspberry Brown Ale from New Belgium Brewing