Abbey Belgian Style Ale | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: Dubbel

Our award-winning Abbey stays true to tradition with an authentic Belgian yeast, six malts and a guarded recipe.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2002

Ratings: 2,218 |  Reviews: 773

1.25/5  rDev -68.9%

1.25/5  rDev -68.9%

2.19/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.2/5  rDev -45.3%

When I first had this about a month ago, I figured that is is a noble attempt at an American brewery going after a Belgian Abbey Ale. With first taste, it seems like it may mimic an authentic (currently my favorite is Chimay Grand Reserve). I'm sorry if I don't review beers according to the 'standard.'
A) Don't really care - beer is for my tastebuds, not my eyeballs.
S) Not too bad, smells like an authentic Belgian Abbey, makes me happy since there's a possiblity I can pay American prices for an imported Abbey beer.
T) This is (of course) the most important review. At first, it meets all expectations. Holy crap, this tastes like an authentic Abbey brewed Belgian brew! Unfortunately, it fades into a metallic aftertaste. My quest for a Chimay Grand Reserve replacement continues. My goal is to find an accectable cheaper (and more reliable replacement) for Chimay and it continues. Sorry, but as much as I congratulate New Belguim for this attempt, the aftertaste kills this beer.
M) Yea, it's OK. My determining factor is the taste, and the aftertaste kills this one.
D) Since I bought a sixer of this one, I will drink it, but it's not an enjoyable one.

2.25/5  rDev -44%

2.41/5  rDev -40%

It tastes like bubblegum. It has solid Belgian-style flavors otherwise, but the overpowering bubblegum flavor is sickening. I wish I had more to say about this beer, but all that really matters to me is that it has a bubblegum flavor and that's never what I'm going to want in a beer.

2.42/5  rDev -39.8%

Bottle. sweet candy sugar apple, brown sugar. This is a joke right? Poor effort, this isn’t a double. And despite some Belgian yeasty flavour (minimal), it doesn't even taste true to the Belgian style, just sweet, flat and dull. Quite sticky and one dimensional. Very dissapointing.

2.47/5  rDev -38.6%

Reviewed 06/30/10

Poured to New Belgium tulip.

A: low visible carbonation, ocassional rise from etching. Dark brown with excellent clarity. No retention of head.

S: sweet, figs, coriander, hint of plastic.

T: Yeast highlights this flavor for me. I prefer a little more sweetness in this type of ale.

M: low to no bubble mouthfeel.

D: Simple, brown ale in body, unimpressive.

2.5/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Abbey Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing