Abbey Belgian Style Ale | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: Dubbel

Our award-winning Abbey stays true to tradition with an authentic Belgian yeast, six malts and a guarded recipe.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2002

Liked:
4.01/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,223 |  Reviews: 775
4.25/5  rDev +6%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. 14APR13 on the bottle.

A: Pours a clear dark ruby with a one finger off white head. Lots of visible carbonation. Leaves some lacing on the glass. Head takes a few minutes to dissipate to a thin covering.

S: Love the nose on this. A sweet candied belgian yeast with loads of fruit. Has a background of banana.

T: Good take on a belgian here. Great yeastiness and sweet dark fruits. Alcohol is well hidden. Might say its too sweet.

M: Medium body with some good creaminess. Perhaps a little thin for the style but that helps with the sessionability.

Overall I am impressed with this beer. Would recommend everyone give it a shot at least once. In the top 10 American dubbels?

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

2.5/5  rDev -37.7%

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%

12oz no date into mason jar

look is very clear amber with a small off white head. smell is very bright bubblegum, apple, grain. taste follows with a slick bubbly medium feel.

fantastic drink, all my favorite attributes in a beer: great taste, drinkability, and a high ABV that's well hidden. don't hesitate to grab some. I only wish this was available in 12s where I live. this is all coming from someone who isn't a fan of the style.

3.25/5  rDev -19%

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

We bought a bunch of this drank my first 1 on the bus up to Vail yesterday. This one is served more properly and it looks real nice in the glass. Lots of lace. The aroma is ok but a little weak.it's very smooth and not very yeasty. The aftertaste is pleasant. We have some good regional beers to drink this week.so far we seem to have made good choices.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

I picked up a six pack of New Belgium's Abbey Belgian Style Ale last week for $8.99 at Meijers. I have always wanted to try this beer and I was happy to hear that it would be hitting the shelf this year and I made sure to pick up a six pack when it showed up, so lets see how it goes. It's fairly fresh and a few months before it's best by date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's not too fancy, just simple and well done. It poured a pretty clear copper color that took on a ruby hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing. This beer looked pretty good with lots of nice lacing, but the color seemed to be too clear for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a larger amount of malts that have a pretty high amount of sweetness and imparts some brown sugar, candied sugar, a little bit of molasses, raisins, wheat, grains, plums, and a pretty big banana aroma that seemed to stick out the most and was pretty nice. After that comes some spices with cloves showing up the most and there's a little bit of alcohol present on the finish. The aroma is good, the banana really takes it to another level but the sweetness is a little out of control.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma, it starts off with lots of malts that have a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness and imparts some wheat, grains, raisins, plums, a little bit of brown sugar, and some banana which doesn't stick out as much as it did in the aroma, but it's nice. After that comes the spices which are mainly cloves and they also show up a little lighter then it did in the aroma. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness at all with a sweet, grainy, banana, and clove like aftertaste. This beer tastes good and it wasn't as sweet as the aroma lead to me to believe, i just wish that the fruits stuck out a little more like they did in the aroma.

M- Pretty smooth, rich, slightly dry, on the thicker side of being medium bodied, with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was just a little prickly. The mouthfeel worked well with this beer and it was pretty true to style, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought that this was a pretty good beer, but it really wasn't a true example of a Dubbel, it just had to many aspects that you don't find in the traditional Dubbel's that are from Belgium, while it may not be true to style it's still an all around good beer, i think it should be listed as a Belgian Dark Ale instead, so I'm not going to hold that against them especially when New Belgium doesn't say anything about it being a Dubbel on the label. This beer had good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, the alcohol was hidden well and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, I could see drinking a few of these when in the mood, but the sweetness might become too much after that. What I liked the most about this beer was how well rounded it was and how complex the aroma was those seemed to be highlights of this beer, I also really like the heavy banana aspect to this beer. There wasn't really anything that I really didn't like about this beer but the sweetness did seem to get a little out of hand in the aroma, but I guess that wasn't that big of a deal. I would buy this beer again, in fact I can see another six pack in the near future to keep on hand for when people come over for the holidays, I recommend this beer to just about anyone. All in all this was a pretty enjoyable beer, I really enjoyed the banana aspect of this beer and it reminded me of one of my favorite Wiezenbocks, it almost tasted like a lighter version of it. Good job New Belgium, this is up there as one of the better brews I have had from them, keep up the good work guys.

4.25/5  rDev +6%