Abbey Belgian Style Ale | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: Dubbel

Our award-winning Abbey stays true to tradition with an authentic Belgian yeast, six malts and a guarded recipe.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2002

Ratings: 2,210 |  Reviews: 773

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

If I remember correctly, my local in-person trader, Tone77, dropped this off for me at one point. The backlog of inventory is my reason for not trading or doing anything more than reduction of resources lately. I want to get to everything, but it takes time, which is a precious commodity of late.

From the bottle: "

The pour was magnifique, resulting in two fingers of dense tawny head with great retention. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose was earthy, with scents of dark dried fruits accompanied by root and leafy vegetables. Do people still have root cellars? It reminded me of my paternal grandmother's basement. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, approaching a creaminess that it did not quite achieve. The initial sip was quite hot, making me wish that I had let this continue to age. Once I got past that, it tasted very much like dried dark fruits - prunes, raisins, blackberries, black raspberries. My grandmother was one of the last people I knew that did home canning and this could have been a liquid version of any of her fruit preserves, Finish was semi-sweet with the yeast taking a lot of the sugar out of the equation. Good stuff!

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a deep copper amber color with a thin white head. Long lasting with good lacing. Smell is very fruity, cherry and plum notes. Slightly alcoholic smelling. Definitely a lot of sweetness to the aroma, very light hop aromas. Taste is very 'Belgian.' Alcoholic and yeasty. There's a fruity sweetness right up front with some caramel malt character. Slight earthy bitterness in the finish. Low to medium carbonation with a full body, and slightly oily mouthfeel. This is a good example of a strong Belgian ale, a little too fruity and sweet for my personal tastes but still good.

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very nice nose. Lots of ripe Bananas and Dark Chocolate along with Fruits. Taste follows nose. Dry finish. This is a good imitation of a real Belgium Trappist. And much less expensive. As soon as we here in America learn to produce the complexity and perfection of a true Trappist Beer we might graduate to world class. Until then I will spend the money for the real deal. My score does not represent a comparison to a true Belgian. It represents how close we are to obtaining it.

2.75/5  rDev -31.6%