Abbey Belgian Style Ale | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: Dubbel

Our award-winning Abbey stays true to tradition with an authentic Belgian yeast, six malts and a guarded recipe.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2002

Ratings: 2,218 |  Reviews: 774
4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very nice nose. Lots of ripe Bananas and Dark Chocolate along with Fruits. Taste follows nose. Dry finish. This is a good imitation of a real Belgium Trappist. And much less expensive. As soon as we here in America learn to produce the complexity and perfection of a true Trappist Beer we might graduate to world class. Until then I will spend the money for the real deal. My score does not represent a comparison to a true Belgian. It represents how close we are to obtaining it.

2.75/5  rDev -31.6%

3.82/5  rDev -5%

A-Clear ruby, some carbonation, not much. One finger off white head.

S-Spice, raisins, plums and other dark fruits, caramel and candied sugar,and some chocolate?

T-Lots of spice, dark fruits, caramel and candied sugar has an even more prominent role than the nose, slight chocolate and no bitterness.

M-Medium bodied, nice carbonation.

O-A decent Dubbel, but Belgians have done it better and there are better American examples as well.

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Beer pours a brilliant red with two fingers of fluffy foam. Bubbles surge to the top of the new belgium snifter to maintain the head.

Beer smells of banana and dark malts. Some dark fruit is present- plume. Some candi sugar is present in the aroma as well.

The beer taste of dark malts, chocolate, caramel, toffee, toast, candied fruit. Very complex and a lot of flavors coming to the surface. Wonderful to sip and explore them all.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy.

This is a solid representation of the style and deserving of the name. If you can not pull something off the shelf that is from belgium than this is your next best bet. I have a feeling I would not be able to tell the difference in a blind tasting.

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

Ok I know Im not the most well versed beer geek on here, and that I can seem to be a hillbilly from the hills who just had his first real beer , but this is my second all time favorite that I keep in my fridge as my go to beer. The cost factor makes this the beer I drink weekly , if I didnt have to pay 3 dollars plus a bottle for Ommegang Abbey and drive an hour to get it I would keep iit , but this one I feel like for an American made beer really captures the spirit of the style. Pours a nice dark amber color , small 1.5 finger head with small amount of lacing , smell is very pleasant , and the taste starts sweet and finishes a little on the dry , perfect combo for me. You can buy a dubbel from one of the trappist that are better I know , but 6 bucks a bottle or 10 bucks a six pack , at the price range this one is about as good as I can find

3.9/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A - Golden amber in color with ruby highlights. The head is small in size but leaves a tiny cap of that caramel colored head. Has brilliant clarity.

S - Off the bat I get a heap of overripe banana esters. Green apple skin is in there. I get a hint of some ripe red fruit as well. No big phenolics.

T - Has a malt bill consisting of some nice toasty grains sprinkled with chocolate inducent roast. Midway on the palate I can find a smooth raisin fruit quality. I also get a smokey phenol midway. The taste finishes dry with a warmth from its alcohol.

M - Moderate body, mid to low carbonation, Good dryness, finishes with a touch of warmth.

O - Appearance was good but lacking substantial head. Smell showed no alcohol nor malts but had a nice estery profile. Taste was by far its best feature with wonderful complexity. Could use a bit of carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.39/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle, date illegible.

A- Very clear mahogany. One inch head but not much retention. Some lacing and clinging down the glass.

S- A complex mixture of dark fruit, some banana, brown bread and yeasty esters.

T- Sweet malty esters up front, fruit and yeast notes with alcohol in the finish. Sufficient bitterness to balance the finish.

M- Medium body, not as carbonated as it might be.

O- New Belgium makes it easy and relatively inexpensive to experience the joys of Belgian ales. An excellent Abbey.

Photo of
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

You had this beer. Write a review.

Abbey Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing