Abbey Belgian Style Ale | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: Dubbel

Our award-winning Abbey stays true to tradition with an authentic Belgian yeast, six malts and a guarded recipe.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2002

Liked:
4.01/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,223 |  Reviews: 775

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Pours a deep copper with a nice, two-finger width head that slowly gives way to some inconsistent lacing.

S: Smells of sweet banana and fig. A lot of sweet malt presence, too.

T: The banana and malt is present in the taste, too, particularly in the swallow. Very sweet, notes of brown sugar and a bit of spice, too.

M: Medium-bodied and sticky. Feels like the best of the dubbels I've had.

One of New Belgium's best, and though I have to be in the mood for it. But when I am, there are few as good.

2.5/5  rDev -37.7%

Pours amber/ruby in appearance with a big head. Smells malty, sweet, yeasty,a touch of alcohol. Flavor is really sweet, hit me like raisin bubblegum which I really did not like at all. Mouthfeel was medium bodied. I would not bother with this one again. I really wanted to like this one, if for no other reason than its pricepoint, but next time I have a craving for an American Abbey Style Ale I will stick with Ommegangs.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

It's been a while since I had an Abbey - so long that my tastes for beer have changed. I drank so much of this in college to the point I grew tired of it. However after several years off I figured it was time to try it again and review! Picked up a 12oz brown bottle with enjoy by date of October 23, 2011 at the local store. Poured to a NBB globe glass. The beer pours a mahogany color and is perfectly clear. A nice 2 finger white fluffy head with good retention and lacing. The aroma is of malty sweetness and a noticeable alcohol character. True to style there is a but of gum, clove, banana, and yeast as well. Quite pleasant. The beer starts right where the nose left off: a malty sweetness first and then a more developed beer with a stronger tone of gum, clove, banana, and yeast. It hides the alcohol much better than you'd expect from the nose. The beer finishes crisp and clean with a lingering taste of the yeast, malt, and mild bitterness. Medium bodied with fair carbonation. For the strength I again found it quite drinkable and enjoyable. I am pretty sure I will be back for another soon.

Reviewed on: 03-09-2011 13:58:15

3.65/5  rDev -9%

BB 02 September 2012.

Quite light for a dubbel. Light brown, sort of amber coloured. Moderately sized off-white head, pretty solid-looking. Fair bit of lacing.

Smell is strong and quite sweet. Lots of brown sugar, Belgian yeast, some raisin.

Taste is thinner than expected, a bit watery. Similar to the nose, I get brown sugar, bready malt, some raisin. Very sweet and dries the mouth. Aftertaste is hard to please, but not very pleasant- a bit metallic, maybe?

As noted above, the mouth drying effect is not great, and the beer is a little too carbonated. Medium bodied.

Overall, disappointing for me. Too sweet and a little bit light in the flavour department. Not to say that it is a bland beer - it clearly is not - but I don't think it has the heft that really good dubbels have.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%