1554 Black Lager | New Belgium Brewing

newbelgium.com

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-02-2002

Ratings: 4,058 |  Reviews: 1,378

I really like this beer. Kinda reminds me of a porter. Some have said that they experience a ' burnt' taste with New Belgium beers. I do get a smokey smell and taste in this beer but not a burnt sensation. I can drink several of these while relaxing on a fall evening. I find it lighter than a porter, but still similar. The smell is lighter than a porter and the taste and mouthfeel is also lighter. If you read my reviews, I like dark beers, and this is a dark beer that I enjoying drinking regularly. I keep these in my refrigerator at all times. Even a new craft beer drinker will enjoy experiencing one of these as a lead-in to porters and then stouts.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Clear ruby when pouring, brown in the glass, two finger off white head, with some lacing.

S-Roasted malt, toffee, nuts, spices, similar in nose to a brown ale.

T-Roasted malt, coffee, some chocolate, toffee, mild to no bitterness. Burnt, smoke along with caramel and candied sugar as well.

M-Medium bodied, not much carbonation but smooth.

O-Nothing really stands out in this beer. No glaring flaws but at the same time nothing to write home about.

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

2.36/5  rDev -38.5%

Found this to be horribly unpleasant. Cloying, profoundly malty without any balance. The first one was passable. The second, a week later, worse. The third, 3 days later, just a nose pincher guzzler. The fourth a drain pour. The fifth I put in a beef and ale pie, which it was splendid in. The 6th stares back at me, daring me to drink it.

This beer is good for nothing except cooking. It works quite well in a slow cooker pot roast recipe, perhaps a 1/2 cup give or take, or to include in a nice beef and ale pie with some yorkshire puddings.

But as an actual beverage to drink, it's awful. Unbalanced, sickingly sweet, no hop character, horribly toffee flavored. It may be an old recipe, but not all old things are good.

1554 Black Lager from New Belgium Brewing