1554 Black Lager | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-02-2002

Ratings: 4,075 |  Reviews: 1,384

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

1554 Enlightened black ale pours a black color, with a nice lacing tan head. There is a nice sublet oakey aroma. A complex taste. A strong malty backbone, but with a profound oakey flavor, hints of chocolate, bits of Belgian candies. Good full flavor, everything blends well. Overall a very enjoyable beer. Easy to drink, good flavors, complex a lot going on and it comes together nicely.

I really like this beer. Kinda reminds me of a porter. Some have said that they experience a ' burnt' taste with New Belgium beers. I do get a smokey smell and taste in this beer but not a burnt sensation. I can drink several of these while relaxing on a fall evening. I find it lighter than a porter, but still similar. The smell is lighter than a porter and the taste and mouthfeel is also lighter. If you read my reviews, I like dark beers, and this is a dark beer that I enjoying drinking regularly. I keep these in my refrigerator at all times. Even a new craft beer drinker will enjoy experiencing one of these as a lead-in to porters and then stouts.

1554 Black Lager from New Belgium Brewing