1554 Black Lager | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-02-2002

Ratings: 4,045 |  Reviews: 1,374
3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

I got a bottle of New Belgium's 1554 Enlightened Black Ale that my brother brought back from his trip down south. I have liked all the beers that I have had from this brewery so I am interested to see how this beer turns out, so lets see how it goes. it had a best before date of August 12th 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks good and has a simple and classy look to it. It poured a very dark brown color that was pretty much black and it took on a dark ruby hue when held to the light and it had three and a half fingers worth of fluffy darker tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The first thing I notice is lots of malts that have a medium amount of sweetness to it and a pretty good amount of roast, they impart a grainy, caramel and medium roasted aromas. Next I get some light chocolate and coffee aromas from the roast followed by a slightly nutty and woody aroma and a slight bit of brown sugar with no hops to be found in the aroma. I liked the aroma it was nice and it had some nice roasted aromas to it.

T- The aroma seems to be pretty similar to the aroma. It starts off with some roasted malts that are a little lighter then they were in the aroma to give it a lighter amount of roast followed by some caramel, toffee, toasted bread, a little bit of brown sugar and slight nutty flavor that was similar to hazelnut. The flavor seems to be a little sweeter then the aroma with a high amount of medium sweetness. Towards the end I get a slight amount of earthy hops that impart a very light amount of bitterness with a sweet and malty aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer the flavors went together nicely.

M- Very smooth, a little creamy, dry, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. I like the mouthfeel it worked well with this beer and I don't think I would change anything.

Overall I liked this beer and I thought that it was a slightly above average example of a Belgian Dark Ale, but I don't have much experience with this style so take it for what it's worth. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it went down pretty smooth, wasn't filling, and it had enough flavor to hold my attention, I could drink a couple of these in a row without a problem. What I liked most about this beer was pretty much everything, I thought everything was on par for the style. What I liked least about this beer was the slightly higher amount of sweetness in the flavor, if it was toned down a little the flavor would be pretty damn good. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for the style but since I can't buy it in Michigan I doubt I will be having it again anytime soon. I recommend giving this beer a try, I think it would make a nice introduction to the style. This was a pretty solid Belgian Dark Ale from a pretty solid brewery, good job guys, keep making good beers and I'll keep seeking them out. A solid Belgian Dark Ale, but Brewery Vivant's Solitude is still my favorite Belgian Dark Ale.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Bought this one expecting a typical black Ipa because I didn't read the bottle, just grabbed it from the shelf. Pleasantly surprised to find a tasty, easy drinking beer that's very chocolate malt-forward and has a very restrained bitterness. Mild sweetness and minimally hoppy. Only hint of Belgian style or influence is in a vague fruitiness and a certain dryness of finish reminiscent of a typical belgian dark on the lower end of the Abv scale.

The beer looks good...deep and very dark brown with a big effervescent tan head that has strong retention but not much lace. The aroma is a little weaker than the taste but still exhibits nicely chocolatey malt character. The mouthfeel is likewise well done, with a medium body that's moderately and smoothly carbonated. Not exactly Belgian in feel, aside from the drying finish but that doesn't hurt the beer much if at all in my opinion. Nice, unusual session candidate from New Belgium.

3.41/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some coffee. Taste is different for this style, coffee, a touch of chocolate without being sweet. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent brew.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%