1554 Black Lager | New Belgium Brewing

newbelgium.com

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-02-2002

Ratings: 4,058 |  Reviews: 1,378

One of the best dark lagers out there. Very nice lager and roasted barley flavors.

I really don't want to seem cliche giving this beer a perfect score, but quite honestly I had absolutely zero gripes with it. I'm a big fan of New Belgium's beers, and I'm a dark ale guy. And this stuff is honestly the most appealing beer I've ever tasted. When you smell it, the sweet caramel / chocolate aroma hits hard, giving you a good sign of what you're in for - the head on this stuff is gorgeous, although not the world's thickest. It's a true beauty to look at once you've poured it into a glass. I'm really glad to see so many positive reviews on this beer, because in all honesty, it's my new favorite. I'll definately be buying it again, and probably many more times to come.

For some reason, I arranged this to follow the Ranger IPA. Needless to say, I took my time—and a large glass of water. xD

Literally everything that Negra Modelo is not, this poured with a two-finger head that hung around for several minutes before virtually disappearing. The color is a deep reddish-brown. The smell may have proven that my nose is wonky; I got black coffee, amaretto and jalapeño, which changed as it warmed to coffee, fudge and roses. Seriously. Taste is black coffee and Kahlua with a finish that's predominantly licorice dipped in saccharine—which is WAY better than it sounds. Creamy, rich mouthfeel. This may be the most complex beer I've ever had and, though I've yet to try a lot of black lagers, this is thus far the gold standard.

(Edit: paired rather unintentionally with what was left of a chili burger; I don't think I'll ever try that again. It was like two comedians at a roast fighting over who gets to tell the darkest joke.)

1554 Black Lager from New Belgium Brewing