La Folie | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002

#698
Liked:
4.26/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,933 |  Reviews: 1,065

Corked and caged at the Chocolate Bar in STL, not on menu.

I eagerly asked the maitre d' whether or not they still had La Folie in their possession and after asking a few more employees they managed to find one, despite its not being on the menu. At $22, it wasn't cheap, but also was not to be missed. This is my first straight 5s and I don't anticipate seeing many others that meet this. My first sour beer was only a couple of months ago and I've gone from not being able to choke down kriek to lusting after Cantillon like a addict craves the needle. I was visibly excited when the bottle came with its "do not disturb" label hanging around the neck. I was with my fiance and soon to be mother in law, who was immensely intrigued by this mysterious beer in front of me. It poured a deep rich magenta with little head. I let it breathe for a little bit before taking my first sip. The nose was strongly influenced byt the oak with hints of vanilla and plum. The taste was simply incredible. Plums, cranberry, apple cider, a little bit of malt, oak, and a citrusy cleanliness. Perfect. My fiance's mother stated that it was the most incredible flavor she's ever experienced, period. My fiance loved it, despite her extreme aversion to sourness. I could have drank it all night if wasn't driving and it wasn't a small fortune. Best beer ever.

La Folie from New Belgium Brewing