La Folie | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002

#696
Liked:
4.26/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,934 |  Reviews: 1,065

1.61/5  rDev -62.2%

Definitely an acquired taste. I recently tasted it at the Texas Brewers Festival on Galveston Island. At the risk of sounding pedestrian (which I am not, I've home brewed for 20 years) it has to be the worst beer I've tasted.

If you are a sour beer and vinegar lover, it is probably great. On the other hand, if I had paid $16 a bottle for the stuff, I'd have been a little put out. Luckily I got about 3oz at the festival and left about 3.8 oz in my sampling cup. The general concensus was the stuff tasted like balsamic vinegar. Last time I checked a good bottle of balsamic was substantially less than $16 and to my mind, equally refreshing.

The body and color was nice, the carbonation was on the weak side. Overal, like a good malt balsamic vinegar.

So any potential drinkers of this stuff, should know what they are getting into. Maybe it takes a while to learn to love it, but if I had made this, I would have written it up as a mistake and poured the whole batch out, and in actuality, I have 86'd whole kegs of better tasting beer rather than inflict it on my friends. $16 bucks? I'd save my money and spend it on a bottle of good single malt.

1.66/5  rDev -61%

Pours a fairly clearish, dark brown color, if that's possible. No haze, not cloudy. Light won't come thru but it lightens everything. A thinnish white head forms and just like that it's gone. A swirl brings a thin tan head back to life with lace amounting to almost nothing.

I hate the smell but I think it's supposed to smell like that. I don't like sours or krieks but saw this had a high score so I bought it. Smells like many of my previous drain pours with an extreme tart vinegar-like scent. Some tart fruits in there as well and nothing resembling hops.

I can't do it. These things have the worst flavor of anything. I'll take spoiled milk over this. Vinegar. That's it. I could have saved a few bucks and just bought a gallon of vinegar and been just as unhappy.

A beer should be enjoyable, this isn't. The ugliness doesn't hit until it starts to cross the tongue. And then your eyes squint, your butt puckers, and you almost spit this out. So extremely tart and nasty.

I don't know how people enjoy these. I'm close to hitting 1,000 beers reviewed and I still can't drink these with anything close to enjoyment.

2.16/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

The beer's coloring looks really nice - it's a dark red with absolutely nothing for a head. A very potent sourness and vinegar as you take a sniff, which is expected given it's a sour brown ale. Where I have a real problem with the beer is the taste. To be completely honest, the beer tastes like I drank some funky cough syrup, then upchucked a bit in mouth...but kept it in, so ended up tasting the stomach acid again on the way down. I can't just get past that. I took a few more sips and did get some more flavors - sour apple, sour cherry. The vinegar flavor comes up again in the aftertaste...

I couldn't finish the whole bomber, which is sad given the price - $13 bucks! EPIC FAIL by New Belgium

Appearance - 3.5/5.0 - A pretty dark red with nada for head
Smell - 2.5/5.0 - Oy...vinegar and pungent sourness.
Taste - 2.5/5.0 - GAG - sour, vinegar, cough syrup, stomach acid, with some sour apple & cherry after getting into the beer
Feel - 1.5/5.0 - It certainly sticks with you...
Drinkability - 1.0/5.0 - No way Jose. This is definitely an...acquired taste.

2.17/5  rDev -49.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

If I wanted to bit into a rotting lemon...

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

2.36/5  rDev -44.6%

I had my growler filled after a recommendation from other member of my local growler club. Having thoroughly enjoyed the other Lips of Faith brews I had tried I really wanted to like this beer. I just could not get my palate into the sour mash. This was my first sour mash beer experience, maybe if I have a few more and become accustom to the flavors I will revisit this beer and re-evaluate.

2.36/5  rDev -44.6%

2.41/5  rDev -43.4%

Served in pint goblet. Poured a very dark brown, almost black, with an inch of tan head that quickly dissipated and left a medium amount of lacing.

The aroma was slightly sweet upfront and had a vinegary sour finish. While certainly sour, this beer was mostly bland, but did have a very dry finish.

The mouthfeel was very thin, but did have a clean, dry finish. Drinkability was good, but with the overall blandness why drink more than one at a time?

2.46/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Not sure if its the age, but the combination of flavors in this just didnt sit well on my palate.

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

La Folie from New Belgium Brewing