La Folie | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002

#811

Ratings: 3,985 |  Reviews: 1,070

4.74/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Nice dark color on the pour with only a bit of head and pretty much no lacing down the glass as you drink it. The smell was obviously a sour ale - very pungent and clearly it was going to be a sour. I was a bit suprised though, because I kind of expected the brown, dark color to lend a new taste to the sours that I know and love. I didn't notice any difference in the taste. I expected it to have the coffee / chocolate / dark malt taste, judging by the color, but I didn't notice anything really different from many of the other sours I've had. Either way, this was a very enjoyable beer which I will definitely purchase every time I see it.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

5/24/13:
Nice ruby brown color. Weak soda-like head on the pour with zero retention and almost no lacing. I anticipate that the lack of head is expected with this style.

Dark fruit aroma of prune and black cherry juice. Sweet character overall.

Some dark fruit ester notes and mild spices up front (e.g. ginger and nutmeg). Then the aggressive lactic and citric acid sourness dominates the palate, eliminating all other flavors. Finishes on the spicy end with lingering tartness. If I let it sit on my tongue for more than a second or two, the aggressively sour flavor reminds me of stomach acid. My recommendation, drink it quickly.

Light to medium bodied with a sharp, aggressive carbonation. Bone dry in the finish while leaving sticky sugars on the lips.

This may be a good example of the style but its just not my thing. I'm disappointed too because I really enjoyed Monk's cafe.

4/9/15 Revision:
2015 version: Deep bronze with a mild haze. Nice lacing on the glass. Brown ale qualities, nuts, dark fruit and caramel. Subtle oak. Mildly tart.

2014 version: Amber color with gorgeous ruby hues. Lactic tartness right up front makes the mouth water and excites the tastebuds. Pleasant oak. Subtle dark fruits with roasted nut character. Hint of cherry sweetness. Best version in my opinion. Highly addicting. Can't stop drinking it.

La Folie from New Belgium Brewing