Citradelic Tangerine IPA | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American IPA

Tangerine IPA brewed with Citra hops, orange peel and orange.

Added by ThatsThatDude on 10-28-2015

Reviews: 330 | Ratings: 1,608
4.19/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

From newbelgium.com, this beer has 10 different hops! Nugget, Crystal, Centennial, Azzaca, Cascade, Citra, Chinook, Galaxy, Mandarina Bavaria, Simcoe. Also Pale and Caramel 120 malts and tangerine infused orange peel.

Pours golden orange, leaning toward the orange. Crystal clear with a 2 finger mounding white head. Light carbonation is evident.

The aroma is amazing! Not surprising with eleven different hops. Definite citrus and tropical fruits. Hints of pineapple and mango, with tangerine and citrus peel, light caramel and herbs.

Taste is sweet and citrusy upfront, caramel in the middle, and a moderate bitterness appears in the end as the citrus fades.

Medium in body, somewhat crisp and drying.

I do love a hoppy beer, especially one hopped with citra and then kicked up, so it's no surprise I think this is a great brew. The fruitiness is "in your face" but yet it doesn't overpower the bitterness. Well balanced, tasty, and aromatic.

3.66/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden straw color with a frothy white head. Nice wall of lacing.

The aroma is of light citrus hops. Slight bread note.

The taste is big on the tangerine. Some blood orange. The hops come across as soapy. Light bread and caramel note.

The feel is moderate with tingly carbonation. Light sweet and fruity on the palate.

Unfortunately not sure if the tangerine comes from the hops or added juice. Me thinks the latter. It's decent, tastes fine.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Serves to me on-tap in a pint glass, this beer is a clear, medium golden color with a slight copper hue along with a white head that's about an an inch thick when first served that errors to a thick, fluffy looking surface coating, a thick ring lining the inside of the glass and food lacing. Aromas of some toasted, biscuity, caramel malt sweetness along with some piney and citrus hops. The taste is pretty much the same, with some bready, biscuity malts with some toasted, caramel malt sweetness along with piney, fairly citrusy, and somewhat earthy hops that also have a bit of a spicy bite. The hip flavors really come out more and tend to dominate the flavor profile as the beer warms. Has a fairly crisp, yet smooth, decently frothy, medium bodies mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Has a clean, slightly dry finish. A solidly good beer here.

Eric

This is the best fruity brew I have ever had....normally not a big fan. I took a chance because I got it past the best by date (3 months). So it was only 7 bucks a 12 -pack. I am glad I did. The fruit profile is way in the back on this one. Mostly a bittersweet hoppy taste up front.

4.06/5  rDev +5.7%

A nicely drinkable citrus IPA. I always worry about fruit beers being more fruit than beer. This is well balanced.

It pours a deep amber, no cloudiness. The head is ok, but not great. I would have appreciated a stiffer, more robust head. There is some lacing left on glass.

The smell is first orange, but then quickly balanced with hops. You can taste the orange citrus, but again, well balanced with bitterness from the hops. Mouthfeel is light.

Overall, this is a nicely drinkable spring/summer beer.

4.37/5  rDev +13.8%

One of the great joys of The CANQuest (tm) is that rare opportunity to do a side-by-side review of a beer, segueing from its bottled form into what comes from a CAN. Even better are those rarer occasions when a draft review CAN be included in the mix. I just finished with a bottle, but as we know, a CAN review trumps all.

From the CAN: "Ale brewed with Tangerine, Orange Peel and Orange".

The rapturous sound of the Crack! of an opening CAN must be followed by an inverted Glug. Thus spake The CANQuest (tm)! The head came rushing up to greet me like an old friend & I realized that while I may have strayed from the aluminum path, I have not lost my deft touch. My ex-Old Lady, upon seeing me doing an inverted Glug for the first time, exclaimed, "What are trying to do?!? Make a huge mess in my kitchen?!?" She just never dug my scene, man, The foam came right up to the lip of the glass as I pulled back & allowed it to settle. I got two fingers of foamy, tawny head with good retention and then I killed it by topping off the glass with the remainder of the liquid in the aluminum cylinder. Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was not as pungent as it had been from the bottle, but it was still quite orange-citrusy. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was equal to the bottle in that there was no question that orange & tangerine (CANgerine) were involved in some aspect. Two sips later & I was seeing the formation of some great, sticky lacing. As with the bottle, I was finding it to be eminently crushable, perhaps not the right way to approach a 6.0% ABV beer, but such is the nature of my gig at this point. Here, I found the finish to be dry with the hops having been able to overcome the inherent sweetness of the fruit. The two serving styles ran pretty much neck-and-neck, but while I liked the bottle's taste a tad more, I really dug the way the CAN's finish adhered more to the AIPA style. I CANtinue to hold my CANtention that this beer, from a CAN, would make a great summertime addition to any cooler.

As I have been winnowing down the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody, I have been making concerted efforts to do brewery-oriented horizontals whenever possible. Not only is it possible for me with New Belgium, but I have eighteen (18) beers to get through. Stand by!

From the bottle: "Citra hops and tangerine elevate each sip onto a plane of juicy, tropical pleasure. Expand your palate with a Citradelic experience."; "Ale brewed with Tangerine, Orange Peel and Orange".

I Pop!ped the cap & despite it being a fresh bottle, I have begun to embrace a gentle pour followed by an in-glass swirl. This time, I got two fingers of foamy, eggshell-white head that rather quickly reverted to wisps, but left great lacing in its wake. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled pleasantly of sweet citrus fruit, like orange and/or tangerine. I was recently employed in a workspace where we used a lot of the current, environmentally-friendly, citrus-based cleaners & this beer smelled a lot like them. Very pleasant! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was definitely a combination of its tangerine & orange parts, citrusy but not overbearing, and very pleasant to drink. They kept the ABV reasonable, which was also a plus, making it eminently quaffable. Finish was semi-dry, almost semi-sweet, but not sweet enough to merit/warrant that designation. Now, if they would just put it in a CAN for summertime ... What's that? They did?!? Happy, happy, joy, joy!

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

IPA with tangerine, orange peel, and orange. Pours a clear amber, two fingers of soapy white head, splotchy rings of lace halfway down the glass. Smell: tangerine juice, clementine peel, a little biscuit. Taste: orange peel, lime, tangerine, grass. Body vanishes mid-sip, sweet and watery finish. 16 July 2017. Orange citrus is well represented but it's one note with no backup. Decent but meh.

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Consumed 3/28/17

A: Dark orange with some medium orange and dark honey around the edges - nice clarity - pours with a medium sized, white head, fades to a small head, leaves a wall of lacing

S: Lots of citrus, but mostly of the actual orange variety rather than aromas from hops - orange juice, orange flesh, orange peel, some spicy citrus - oily citrus, some floral citrus - lemon and a hint of lime - some light, pale malts at the base

T: Mostly as advertised, but really dominated by the tangerine - tangerine and orange juice, orange flesh, candied orange, tangerine and grapefruit zest - floral citrus - some light tropical notes - pale malts - some light sweetness, combined with the big orange flavor, this kind of reminds me of an orange Tootsie Pop

M: Medium body, smooth, clean finish except for some residual sugar

O: I heard you like citrus so we put citrus in your citrus

I find it hard to judge the hops in this beer as the flavor profile is dominated by the actual fruit. If you want a super-citrusy beer, I suppose it works, but it's not exactly what I was expecting.

3.46/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a mild golden hue with a thin head into my glass. Juicy, bready with tangerine. Starts off promising with a dollop of tangerine. Flies right off the rails in the middle with a weird sweetness that contributes nothing to the flavor profile. Cloying. There are similar offerings that are much, much better than this.

3.52/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-pours a clear straw, copper color with a white sudsy head with decent retention
S-lots of orange, lemon, subtle pine
T-more pine and orange, some bitter resin in the finish followed by more citrus
M-medium bodied with average carbonation
O-a bit more muted than I expected, not the best IPA I have had

4.16/5  rDev +8.3%

12oz marked best before April 2, 2017.

Nice, clear golden color with wispy off-white head, minimal lacing. Huge citrus notes right off the bat...like, an impressive amount of citrus. Big sweet orange, tangerine, lemon, and clementine...hints of pine as well. Flavors follow, with less sweetness and more dryness. Orange, tangerine, orange peel and grapefruit peel, piney dryness. Light/medium mouthfeel with lighter bitterness and some finishing dryness.

Overall, I can't remember ever liking a New Belgium IPA as much as this one. The citrus character on this is phenomenal, and this beer isn't even that fresh. Recommended.

3.96/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into a 13 oz Weyerbacher tulip glass best before 7/9/17. Pours orange yellow with a solid one inch white head that leaves behind some webs of lace.

Smell is tangerine, apricot, pinapple, and a hint of grapefruit.

Taste follows nicely, a bit bigger and the tangerine dominates and I am not complaining about that, a little pinapple and grapefruit blended in.

Mouthfeel is about medium, plenty of life, not dry at all, and drinks so easy.

Overall this is a very nice fruited IPA, that I will crush often this summer now that New Belgium is finally in NH.

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Clear amber color and a noticeable tangerine smell to the beer. While its not that particularly hoppy, it does have a very citrus flavor. A decent starter beer.

Best by 6/17

Pours a clear amber color in a Spiegelau IPA glass with a 3f head which quickly resolves. Good lacing.

Aroma: best in the beer flavor profile. Strong tangerine peel which was brewed in the beer, citrus, and a light earthiness.

The mouth feel is a bit light- this detracts from the beer flavor. I was looking for more tartness in the MF.

Taste: Tangerine. Tropical fruit. The Mandarina hops come through. However, the taste wasn't as pronounced as the aroma- it should match it's intensity.

The finish seems to be a bit mild for an IPA. I was looking for more hoppiness.

Overall: a tweaking is in order. This could be a great beer. More tangerine in the taste, and more spicy hoppiness in the finish.

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

12 oz bottle with a 30 April 2017 BB date stamp.
Loads of tangerine and orange in the aroma. This carries over to the high levels of citrus in the flavor, although there is little of the sweet orange candy suggested by the aroma. This is a rather mild IPA in terms of bitterness and overall strength of flavor. It will be seen as too mild and mellow by some, but I see it as well balanced, refreshing and refined. Still, a lack of boldness and complexity restrains my ratings.
Good looking with a near medium body and lively medium+ carbonation.

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've heard that Hemingway wrote drunk and edited sober. Well I'm writing and just leaving it because editing is for quiters. (Just kidding, The Old Man and the Sea is a masterpiece. You should read it if you haven't.) I digress...

I'm drunk and I'm reviewing this beer so bam. ORANGES, HAVE YOU EVER HAD ORANGES? If I met an alien and he/she/it/rather_not_say didn't understand citrus, I'd fill his/her/it's/rather_not_say's alien chalice with this succulent libation and tell him/her/it/rather_not_say that this is how we get our vitamin C here on Earth.

If I were to be more prudent, I would say something to the tune of "Not a traditional IPA by not delivering on the floral and hoppy notes we've come to respect about this style, but a delicious beer best enjoyed with pretzel sticks while manicuring my suburban square of land." but I ain't about that. Get this beer at your local tavern and then peg leg your way up to a bonny lass and say that you're a pirate in search of some booty and that this liquid jewel is how you prevent scurvy. It works, I promise.

And tell 'em that down_to_clown_69 sent ya.

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A clear, light orange amber liquid with a clean white head. Decent laing and retention. No real carbonation evident.

Nose is quite sweet with orange/tangerine and sugary malt. Hops fold into that.

Taste is a bit sweet and one dimensional for me. Lots of tangerine and some decent hops but not much else. Sweet malt body is light and kinda nondescript. Light hops linger with notes of mild citrus in the finish.

Feel is light and a bit thin. Not quite crisp but it has enough carbonation to feel good. Certainly drinkable and in the summer I could see myself quaffing quite a few as it is thirst quenching and refreshing

Not a bad beer, but nothing to shift your perspective of brewing. Kind of trendy but is that a crime? I think not. A good high strength, big flavored, well hopped, lawn mower beer.

3.71/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a Spigelau IPA glass

Beaming, shiny, and crystal clear appearance with a golden orange color. Fine carbonation, reaching to a big booming three finger off white colored head. Fine bubbles and island top puck in the making, with big retention and staying power. Sheets of lacing and clumpy pills off the side of the glass.

Tangy fruit, with sweet sugars of tangerine citrus all over on the nose. A bit sugary, kind of almost gets into powdered sugar donut quality, with a very candy and gumdrop like aroma. Virtually no hinting hop bitterness. Very different but solid.

Palate plays it pretty safe. Light bodied and slightly wet finish, not leaving much for the flavors to coat and last long. Small orange and not even much malt presence or soft caramel. Minimal hop bitterness, and almost flour like dryness on the aftertaste.

Seems like the beer is fuller from the nose but really dials itself down on the palate becoming a bit too simple. Even at 6% abv, this tastes more like a session IPA.

3.27/5  rDev -14.8%

Is it just me or does it take a tiny touch of conceit to name your brewery “New Belgium”? Like you’re the newer (ergo better) version of the original Belgium, aka the greatest brewing country on the planet (Earth that is - Zynqwax has some pretty damn good breweries that would give Belgium/Earth a run for its money). Well sidestepping this possibly thorny name snobbery I have heard these New Belgium chaps brew some pretty top shelf brews, and this Tangerine infused IPA called Citradelic should be as good a test as any of how well New Belgium approaches a style that some would consider fairly new to original Belgium: An American IPA. Here goes something.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Clear, dare I say “tangelo” coloured body with a nice off-white cappuccino foam that compacts itself to a solid half centimetre. It seems the fruit doth make the brew: colour-wise that is. 7/10.

S: Definitely getting that note of orange peel... a hint of tangerine sourness in the background. Lifted tropical notes, mostly papaya, juicy fruit chewing gum and slight lemon character round out a tasty bouquet of a brew - floral and moreish says I, Doc. Bring me all your kittens and saucers so the kittens may sip on fresh Citradelic! Citradelic for all! 8/10.

T: Woah, this beer really turned on its head and became not unlike a glass of that famously trademarked orange soft drink F__ta [don’t want to name names and be sued by F__ta or any other ruthless soft drink makers out there]. There’s a sweet, high fructose corn syrupy sugar note to this, along with orange which doesn’t taste very natural either. The only thing that stands out as a beer in this beverage is a mild herbal green hop bitterness towards the finish. Just burped... I can confirm a tangerine note in my burp! 6/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a thin but gassy carbonation - still managed a few burps as noted above. 6/10.

D: Overall this feels a bit Island of Dr Moreau-ish, and you knew that doc was up to some shady shit. I’m kinda half and half about this beer - it’s not terrible, but it’s also been stripped of almost everything that makes a beer a beer. And TBH if you want to taste a great example of a fruit-infused beer you need a BrewDog Elvis Juice, otherwise you might find yourself alienated by Citradelic. 6/10.

Food match: What normally goes with orange soda? Pork soda? [Glass Animals]

3.41/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bottle.

L: Clear amber color with a finger thick head. Thin lacing sticks to the glass.

S: Very citrusy nose. Definitely some tangerine present. Also get some orange and lemon.

T: Very similar to the nose, lots of orange and tangerine. Some bitterness to balance out the sweetness, but the citrus still dominates.

F: Thin and crisp, a little bitter/dry in the finish.

O: Pretty tasty, it would make a good summer drink. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for it now, but there is almost too much citrus flavors for me.

4.07/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I generally cringe when I see an IPA that has "something" to influence it, i.e. in this case tangerine. It often winds up being too sweet or overpowers the beers' character or ....something gets lost in translation. But, this came recommended and it's New Belgium, so let's give it a shot, right?
This beer pours a nice amber and has a lacing that lingers to finish. The taste of tangerine is subtle and there is a nice bite of heat on the back end. The hops and bitterness are nicely balanced by the malts and yeast. This beer has a nice mouth feel, almost a light creamy taste. I drank this mid-February, and would think warmer weather would be even better. No complaints; nice job. 6.0% ABV

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I liked this beer more than I expected. It's a tangerine IPA with some lemon/lime thrown in. You can smell the citrus and the flavor is obvious but not overbearing.

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

When I drank this and evaluated it as a beer, the only thing I could pick out was that it tasted just like orange soda - which is sick because, of course, it's beer.

My advice is to imagine you were just handed the beer and told it was orange soda. When you approach the beer from that frame, the hops that are hidden behind the tangerine taste come out, and you get a very refreshing drink that has the mouth-heaviness and hop-bitterness of an IPA.

3.24/5  rDev -15.6%

Not a fan of IPA'S but I have had far worse than this one. A great beer color with the smell and taste of hops but a more mellow hop than most. Not overly carbonated and a nice swallow with little aftertaste.

4.06/5  rDev +5.7%

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is an orange yellow color with great clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Frothy lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Tangerine, lemon, lime, caramel, toasted, and biscuity malts.

Taste: Tangerine dominates the lemon and lime flavor. Nice complimentary malt flavor and light light bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light, crisp, refreshing, light light bitterness, and medium carbonation.

Overall: Nice summer time IPA. I'd revisit it when the whether gets warmer.

Citradelic Tangerine IPA from New Belgium Brewing