Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Glütiny Golden Ale | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Glütiny Golden Ale is brewed using an enzyme to break down the proteins that trigger a reaction from gluten sensitive drinkers. Therefore, these beers are being referred to as “gluten removed” instead of gluten free. The beers fall within the FDA guidelines of less than 20 parts per million.

New Belgium Glütiny Golden Ale is brewed with Nugget, Goldings, and Cascade hops.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 11-17-2015

3.83/5  rDev +11.7%

3.11/5  rDev -9.3%

12oz bottle with a "drink by" date

Another food product jumps on the gluten-free craze. If gluten actually affects any person in a substantial way, I'll eat my shoe. Gimmicks aside, this is an OK beer. Typical NB yeast flavors of chewy sweet bread ( think fat tire) but muted slightly. Little hop bite, just some grass, pear and apple.

Very inoffensive and, for lack of a better word, boring

3.84/5  rDev +12%

New Belgium Brewing Co. "Glütiny Golden Ale"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "ENJOY BY: ... 15OCT17..." and sampled on 07AUG17
$2 @ Weis, Conshohocken, PA

Look: Clear deep gold body beneath a pillowy head of bright white that exhibits very good head retention and lacing.
Smell: Grainy, cereal-like malt with some light floral, leafy, and citrusy hops.
Taste: The malt appears bready and lightly toasty, but also slightly cereal-like, and the hops remain floral, leafy, and lightly citrusy. Some apple-like fruitiness from the yeast gives it a little more complexity. A moderate bitterness balances it and it's sweetish upfront but dries enough in the finish.
Feel: Light-medium in body and gently crisp then smooth across the palate.
Overall: Gluten intolerant or not, Glütiny Golden Ale is a pleasant and highly drinkable beer that can be enjoyed year 'round in all kinds of situations. One of the better reduced-gluten beers on the market.

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: brilliant straw gold under a 1/2' off white cap that descends moderately fast to a thick film

S: light grain, biscuit and spicy, herbal hop aromas rise from the glass

T: rich and malty with mildly sweet malt, some caramel notes, light fruit - pear to apple, and some mild hop spice

F: light body with creamy, soft and medium to medium high carbonation

O: The beer combines an almost lager-like crispness and light body with a light ale flavor profile

3.5/5  rDev +2%

3.51/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.97/5  rDev +15.7%

The beer pours out into a Duvel glass a clear dark golden color with a 1/2" white head that recedes leaving a ring of foam. Sipping creates small patches and legs of lacing. By mid way through the beer the foam has receded to a thin film on the surface but the ring and lacing persist reasonably well.

The aromas are citrus with mostly grapefruit and lemon zest. There's also some nice bready malt and a light touch of grassy hops.

The flavors pretty much follow the nose with the grapefruit and lemon zest prominent but backed up by some sweetness and bready malt flavors. The grassy hop bitterness remans in the background

The mouth feel is medium bodied and lightly crisp from the moderate carbonation. The medium length finish begins as the sweetness fades to be followed by the bready malt and then the grapefruit and lemon zest. All that is left behind is the dry grassy bitterness which slowly disappears.

On the whole a nicely made beer that I'd not turn down in the future. While not the best Golden Ale I've had it is certainly worth drinking. Also I'd have no reservations about suggesting it as a possible choice for someone with a Gluten intolerance if they can have a Gluten reduced beer at all.

4.56/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.26/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.92/5  rDev -14.9%

L: Crystal clear. Bright golden in color with a good amount of bubbles streaming to the top. It poured with very little head, but what was there was white and creamy.

S: Smells mostly grainy. Some pale malts in the aroma as well. Not much else. Very small hop presence. A little bit of a cereal smell the longer I looked.

T: Not a whole lot going on here. Mostly grains. Some breadiness and creaminess, too.

F: Creamy, silky, buttery. Semi-funky at the finish. No alcohol present whatsoever.

O: Not very impressive, but I wasn't expecting much. At least it's over 5% ABV. Not much in the way of hops or additional flavors. Tastes like a gluten-free beer would taste.

3.71/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

01/10/2017

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.5/5  rDev +2%

3.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.84/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I caught inspiration earlier today when I finally Crack!ed open a CAN of JP's Yabba Dhaba Porter. Its successor was JP's A Capella, a gluten-free beer and since it is NBS (Week 602), I decided to see how far out I could play the string before having to reel it in. This is my fourth such beer & while their taste may not be the most pleasant, my tummy feels great and my head does not feel like it has been rearranged on my neck in a cock-eyed position. These are all reminiscent of a time before when I was putting away a sixer on a nightly basis, so I am actually all for it. Really, it is the ones that are reliant on sorghum that I just cringe at the thought of drinking. Those taste like young Cheddar cheese aging in sweat socks at the bottom of a gym locker. Ugh. I have read WWII stories of drinking & eating sorghum-based foods, but I didn't really get it until now. Ugh. And the ersatz coffee, using chicory, must have been equally palatable. Gah. Okay, time to climb off of my high horse & Pop! another bottle cap, but bear this in mind, kids - As of 100 years ago TODAY, the U.S. was NOT involved in WWI! Savor that tidbit for a moment. That would not happen until 04/07/1917, paving the way for future authors as Hemingway, Dos Passos as well as my maternal grandfathers, one another ambulance driver & the other among the last of the mounted cavalry.

From the bottle: "We brewed an uncompromising gluten-reduced Golden Ale to bring malty goodness to beer-lovers everywhere. Join the uprising, taste the Glutiny!"; "Crafted to Remove Gluten".

Upon Pop!ping the cap, I let go with an aggro pour that seemed to make the beer VERY angry as it came up huffing & puffing at me before forming a cap of two fingers of dense, bone-white head with great retention. I sat back and watched as it slowly backed down, having realized its mistake & leaving great lacing as homage to the mighty Bro. Woody. Color was a sunshine-like Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5) with NE-quality clarity & before I could finish typing, The Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus was upon me! I used to dislike their petty squabbling until they saved me from the Cyberpeople of Minhas & now I welcome their appearances. Sure enough, each was fighting for a turn, but once satiated, they departed, leaving the remainder for me. Nose had a pleasant biscuity-malt character and my immediate thought was "Lager:, but it is identified as an ale. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was sweet, kind of flowery, kind of perfume-y. Still, given the sour alternative, I will take it. Finish was semi-dry. Most of the gluten-free beers have been dry, but the sweetness in this one prevented it from that exalted status. I must confess, I preferred the two New Belgium bottles to the two New Planet CANs, but it may be CANparing apples & oranges. I CAN only warn you of the horrors of sorghum.

3.19/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

2.91/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.17/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.1/5  rDev -9.6%

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I bought a bottle of Glutiny Golden for my gluten sensitive better 3/4. It poured a clear golden with white head that left a nice lace. The scent and taste had some vanilla hints. The Mouthfeel was medium in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it's a good gluten free beer and we'll worth the try.

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.11/5  rDev -38.5%

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Light, clear golden color with small white cap and decent lacing.

Light malt in the aroma with touches of hop spice. Bit of citrus as well.

Malt forward on entry quickly followed by spicy hops in a slightly diminished form. I get yeasty rather than sweet malt with an overall sense of dryness in the flavor. For me the citrus remains in the background and if I didn't notice it in the aroma while raising the glass I might not notice it at all. Hops are mildly present without making a marked impact, all leading to a quick, clean finish without a trace of bitterness there or in the aftertaste.

Just short of medium texture.

Overall it's an interesting but unremarkable brew. Obviously it will have less stuffing due the goal of removing gluten, but what we're left with is a stripped down version of an amber ale.

3.26/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Glütiny Golden Ale from New Belgium Brewing