Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Le Terroir | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Wild Ale

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

#581

firstprev| 2351-2375 | 2376-2400 | 2401-2425  | next → last
Ratings: 2,413 |  Reviews: 503
4.64/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours hazy, orangy gold. A white, somewhat porous head rose to about a quarter inch and fell fairly quick. No lacework.
The pungent, sour, funky aromatics practically lept from the bottle as I caught a whiff immediately upon pouring.
Tannin-laden fruit pulp, cider vinegar, and mustard greens clear the nostrils.
A melange of soured granny smith apples, fermented peach skins, pepper-dusted lemon pith, and cedar chips.
Plenty wild in character, with the tannins becoming more oaky in nature as the brew warms.
The lingering tart, complex nature lingers after the glass is withdrawn from the nose, leaving behind a trace of cinnamon.
The mouthfeel is thinnish and sharp. Light carbonation complements the beer without interfering with the layers of body.
The pallet is as promised by the nose- sharp and tart.
Boldly acidic but not in an offensive manner.
The complexites of the pallet come forward not at first sip, but as it lingers on the tongue and warms the back of the throat. First the sour/tart onslaught, followed by the intense citrus character.
Fermented fruit with a lactic veil.
Apple skins, peach pits, and grape stems, along with a lingering "beer on a dusty blanket" finish.
To say the finish is long would be an understatement, as the beer makes an indelible impression on the imbiber.

A remarkable beer and big thanks to Gbontrag for the opportunity.

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

Sampled on tap at Monk's Cafe for their New Belgium dinner. What treat this was after waiting to try it for so long. The beer poured a very hazy golden color with an off white head. The nose was a bit hot, maybe high abv but I don't believe the beer has a high abv. There was also a tart barny nose to this as well. The taste is hard to describe. A nice sharp, tart taste with some banana esters and citrus. Very very nice. For lack of a better work, I would compare this to RR Beatification which I happen to love. Although I also love La Folie, I would have to say this was my favorite NB beer of the night.

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Draught today @ Choice City Butcher & Deli. A lovely sour ale. It opens up with an intense sourness then leans towards light hints of caramel and sour apples. Honestly, I didn’t perceive much hop character at all, but that is okay. A tremendous brew.

On tap at the Falling Rock

This beer is a hazy reddish orange. It almost looks like some sort of punch. Minimal bubbly head.

The first thing you smell is the sourness. Sour in a good way. Orange citrus, apple/apple cider. Floral hops.

Here is where the joy begins. You take a sip and BAM, your tongue is assaulted with goodness. Of course it's sour. Taste is similary to apple cider, but it's got a lot more going on here than just that like some subtle peaches. This one also had a slight woody taste to it. I've experienced that with a few beers at the Falling Rock, but I don't think it's their lines. It's not a bad feature in this beer.

This one is pretty thick in the mouth. The carbonation feels natural and complements the beer well. I was tempted to give this one a 5 on the drinkability. The flavor in this beer is amazing considering the low ABV, but I think the sour would wear on your stomach after a couple of pints. This is a must try if you ever see it. It's the dry hopped version of La Folie, and isn't drastically different.

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

Had during my recent trip to Denver to see my best friend. Great way to start the trip. Went straight from the airport to Falling Rock Taphouse for a few beers before dinner and when we walked in there was a poster announcing a special tapping of Le Terroir. Had to wait about 30 mins for the tapping which was agonizing as I've wanted to try this for years. The bar was kinda dark and the lightning not ideal so kinda hard to nail the color. It appeared to be an apple ciderish color with an orange tint. It was served in a wine glass and had a small head that settled into a thin film with some lacing. The smell was exceptional. It had an amazing sour smell that makes your mouth water. I've tried several Flanders Red Ales in the past year including it's cousin La Folie and this had the best aroma of them all. The mouthfeel was strong with a great sour aftertaste - not too strong, well balanced. The taste was also amazing. I found La Folie to be a bit on the too sour side (not bad but too sour to be a 5). This with the hopping stayed on the not too sour side. It had a great aftertaste and goes down smoooth. Ended up having a couple before we had to head out. Wish they would bottle this. If they did, I'd have one in my fridge constantly. (4.5, HR, T, Y)

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured on tap into a nice tulipy glass at Collins Pub.

A very pretty burnt orange color with a hazy depth and thin head that disappeared almost before the glass touched the table. Quick whiff brought cidery, vinegary notes with maybe a bit of sour cherry—very sour smelling but a whole bunch of fruitiness that I can't put a finger on. Very enticing. Initial taste was big, puckering apple and grape sourness that faded nicely into a dry, citrus sourness before disappearing almost entirely. After the big, tasty sour hit at the beginning of every sip, happily fruity flavors layered in more and more and, by the bottom of the glass, I'd lost track of all the sour fruits I'd found.

The beer has got a lighter than air, medium body to it; smooth carbonation let the sourness do the bite before it all went away leaving only a little prickeriness on the inside of the cheeks. The lighter body and lack of any syrupy residue in your mouth makes this an amazingly drinkable beer. I had two and a newer beer drinker easily downed three or four.

Overall a wonderful beer that I'll go out of my way to track down again.

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

On tap at Falling Rock. Poured into a chalice.
Light orange/copper color with reddish tint. Big white head, a bit soapy.
Smell of sour cherries, vinegar and old socks. Some other fruits as well. Richness in yeast.
Taste is like La Folie, but not as complex, rich or good. A bit thin, sourness overpowers the sweetness and flavors of the fruits. Does not have the lip-smacking goodness of La Folie. However, this beer is pretty good. Overall, I think this beer is just too sour without having any other comparable qualities.

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%

Served in 10 oz glasses from my favorite local bar that got a keg as a special treat.

Upon tasting I immediately thought of La Folie. Very similar, except a little lighter in color and depth; and maybe even more sour as I recall. Gorgeous orange-peach-pink hazy color and intoxicating aroma. Tasted like a strong sour gueze with fruit prescence: green apples, cherries, cranberries, rasberries, pear, citrus sourness, a little grape and peach, all very sour, maybe as if they were not ripe yet or dipped in vinegar. There was also some wood and slight hop, as it was aged in oak and dry hopped. Also reminded me of sparkling wine, kombucha (esp. this one GT's Kombucha that is Raspberry-Lemon-Ginger), and a (strong) Berliner weiss. I liked it better as it warmed and as my senses adjusted to the sourness, its complexity showing more and more by the end of the glass. Unique in many ways, including the way it felt on my tongue, especially afterwards. Delightful hop and wood presence in the burp!
Very sour and definitely an acquired taste (I reviewed after the 6th try with some to go). I recall liking the La Folie better, as I remember it having a greater fruit and wood presence, but I love the hop in this one, which is most evident in the nose and after effects. Goes great with a cherry or raspberry lambic, or the NB Frambrozen.
Not liked by everyone due to its strong sourness, but def. worth trying a few times.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

I owe the greatest debt of gratitude to phnphilly for the opportunity to try this AMAZING beer. Thank you for sharing this with me. You are a true friend. Thanks prAna for trading with him. Keep sending sour beer ;-) I hope he keeps sharing with me!!! We had the opportunity to do a side by side with Le Terroir and it's cousin La Folie Wood Aged Beer. These Flanders Reds are spectacular. This beer, Le Terroir, is the possible the most unique beer I have had to date. A true sour beer but then hopped. generously hopped. WOW!

Appearance: Pours a peachy golden hue. Jeff was concerned the carbonation may be low but it was perfect so your bottle fill did well friend.

Smell: What a terrific complex aroma. Like La Folie it is a dominantly sour beer but it also has another dimension entirely with the dry hopping involved. It has a sweet grapefruit, hop candy aroma with the sour backbone and a peach and apricot fruit juice and sour apple attribute.

Taste: Very smooth gorgeous sour flavor that has a fruity juicy center and yet deep sour roots, with a hoppy top coat and layers of over ripe sour fruits (cherries, peaches apples) and musky wood. Delicious! Complex! Indescribable!

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth with sour pokes and prods on the cheeks. The sour and the hops working together is so remarkably unique that the mix of effects on the palate keeps it very lively and active. It has a tart pucker and a dry finish but overall it is a bit puzzling. I like that. Keeps you on your toes.

Drinkability: Side by side, as a fan of truly intensely sour beer I would have to say that La Folie was more intensely sour and therefore my first choice. I believe this one may be a bit more approachable for many people, though it is still an out of this world beer. WOW! I feel honored to have had the privileged.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks gbontrag for a chance to try this.
A- Thin off white head that fades fast. Cloudy orange body.
S- Some tart fruits hit the nose first. Hint of alcohol, big sour notes to it. Sour apples really come through. Very complex smell and I know I am probably missing a lot.
T- Huge sour flavors slam on the tongue right off the bat. Pretty big tart fruit flavors also. Hint of alcohol makes it way through too. Can taste the hops slightly pushing their way through the big puckering sourness. The sour apples really come out in this too. Oak comes through too. As you get used to the sourness more flavors really start to show. There is a bitterness that is lingering on the tongue in the aftertaste. Very complex in the taste.
M- medium to full body with low carbonation.
D- It is strangely good. The first two sips I was kind of worried and wasn't sure I would like this at all. The more I drink of it the more welcoming it becomes. I think I just had to let me taste buds adjust to it. It is one of my first Flanders red (besides Monk's Cafe) and I think I could start to get more into this style. It is very strange how such an offensive beer at first can slowly bring you into it where you just don't want to set it down. Can't wait to try my La Folie.

Thanks to gbontrag for this one.

Was sent a bomber from the tap and capped 2 days ago.

Pours a slightly cloudy orangy/pinkish color, some carbonation, no head, and no lacing. The nose is of sour apples, citrus/mandarins, slight yeast, and some hops. The taste is pretty sour/bitter/tangy, but very tasty, it draws you into the brew. The finish is dry. Medium body, well rounded, complex brew. Very drinkable, quite a different brew from NB (never had a La Folie yet). I hear it will not be around much longer, so if you can get over to NB, do it.

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%

After reading the previous reviews, I was lucky enough to track this down at Falling Rock. I'm crossing my fingers that their supply doesn't run dry before I can make it back down to the Front Range for another visit and another delicious pint...

Served in a snifter, this had a mandarin orange tint with perfect head that maintained itself ever-so-well throughout the entire tasting. I caught aromas of oak and cherry, as well as other less distinguishable citrus hints. These all carry through to the flavor profile, which is puckeringly sour on the tongue. Yet, with each swig I found the sourness to reveal new flavors of fruit, earth, and wood. The feel is rather medium-bodied and well-balanced with a long, lingering roll of flavor throughout the mouth.

But here's the best part: either in spite of or thanks to its challenging flavor profile, this brew is enchantingly addictive and has an awesome drinkability. Had I not had to leave the bar, I could have easily continued satiating my thirst all day on snifter after snifter of this brew. Hopefully I'll get a chance to sample it again...

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed at The Festival of Barrel Aged Beer in Chicago. Listed as a Flanders Red, it was described as, " Belgian amber ale aged in wine barrels w/ resident bacteria, then dry-hopped with Amarillo hops." If it sounds good, you can imagine how it tasted. The color is a rust - peach color with a haze. Good head retention that settled to a film over the alcohol and barrel aging. Aromas are of sour cherries, cider, a tart merlot, molassas, musky and complex. The flavors reaffirm the aromas. Throw in a touch of cocoa, raspberries, cranberries, nutty, and woody. Aged for richness and boldness keeps the beer from becoming overly sour or tart. Never astringent or off-putting. The texture is shy of creamy. Thinning from alcohol, low carbonation, and tartness. Lighty vineous in the bitter finish. The amerillo hops really help balance the sweet.

firstprev| 2351-2375 | 2376-2400 | 2401-2425  | next → last