Le Terroir | New Belgium Brewing

good
Read the review
Le TerroirLe Terroir

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Wild Ale

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

Ratings: 2,402 |  Reviews: 502
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

22 oz bottle into a (New Belgium) tulip.

A: Pours a slightly hazy amber color. The head is a one finger off-white shade. It doesn't have the thickest-looking texture, but it's retention is excellent for a sour. A surprising amount of lacing is left behind. Considering it's a sour ale, it looks damn good.

S: I actually get more of the hops than I do the sourness. Hops provide notes of apricot, peach, grapefruit, mango, pine, and some distant herbs. Tartness lies in the background; personally I was hoping for it to be as sour as La Folie, but I can't deny that this is a quality aroma. Come to think of it, it kind of smells like a soured version of a beer Lagunitas would make. That's a huge compliment.

T: A nice profile of hops open this up nicely. Like the aroma suggested, it's heavy in apricot, mango, and pine, with just a subtle suggestion of herbs. The finish is...well, it's sour - in particular, it displays mostly a lemony tartness rather than a cherry tartness. Not suffocatingly sour mind you (or really, even as sour as La Folie), which simply means the interplay between the hop flavors and the tartness is superb. That's this brew's modus operandi in a nutshell: it takes two desirable qualities (hops and sourness) and balances them beautifully. Hell, I even pick up a malt backbone!

M: Tannic, dry, and puckering. It isn't really drinkable, but God is it wonderful to savor. So very, very wonderful. Carbonation takes a back seat to the palate puckering. On the plus side, the tartness isn't so overpowering that it strangles the tongue.

O: Fuck, this is tasty. Normally, a brew I really adore (for example, Troegs Perpetual IPA) I just want to guzzle 'til the cows come home, but this is something I'll savor happily - and still wish I had another bottle to drink. I need more of this in my life, right now.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

On-tap at Leon’s Full Service in Atlanta.

Pours a slightly hazy orange-copper color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of medium malts with large amounts of tart citrus aromas. Also present are slight amounts of tropical fruit hops and slighter amounts of funk.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Medium to light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by moderately tart fruits – berries and pears if I had to choose, although it’s not terribly close to either one. Joining in midway through the sip are bright citrus hops that fade out into a moderately tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I had to have this beer again after being a big fan of it from the bottle, and it didn’t disappoint. The slight age does temper the the hops a bit, I'd be interested to see how this tastes in a year or two, although I can't imagine it getting better. Well worth a shot however you find it.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Le Terroir a few weeks ago for $14.99 at The Lager Mill. I've very interested in trying this beer and I've heard more than a few good things about it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice design to it that goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly clear golden amber color that took on more of a amber color when held to the light with a little over two fingers worth of bubbly slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy and spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a fruit aroma being the first to show up with come citrus and tropical fruit aromas, but to me it's the apricot that shows up the most and it goes straight to a sour cherry aroma with the sour aroma starting to take over and it develops more of a sweet tart candy aroma to it. Up next i get some of the hops which I think were where some of the fruity aromas came from and there's also a light floral and light spicy hop aroma showing up in the background. This beer had a very good aroma, the hops seemed to add just enough complexity to it.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with some floral and spicy hops showing up a little and it leads right into the sourness which is on the high side and it has a slight vinegar aspect to it, but it still retains all the sweet tart candy aspects that it had in the aroma. Up next comes the fruits with the apricot showing up just for a second and it goes right into the sour cherrys which are really nice and more sour than cherry. On the finish the sourness lingers into the aftertaste along with some fruity and lightly hoppy flavors. This was a great tasting beer, the hops added just enough complexity to it.

M- Fairly smooth, a little acidic, a little crisp, not too dry, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and I thought it was a very nice example of the style, I have had hardly any dry hopped sours, but to me this is what they should be all about, it's a sour beer first and once the sourness starts to fade just enough hops show up to remind that there is indeed some hops and this beer and I think it adds complexity to a style that can sometimes be to dominated by just sour and not much else. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little acidic, a little crisp, not too dry, not filling at all and the taste did a good job of holding my attention, I think one glass is the perfect amount for me, I might be able to drink the whole bottle, but there's a good chance that the acidic aspect would start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the hoppy aspects worked with this beer, it's got some nice hop flavors and some really nice hop aromas with out adding bitterness which I think would really clash with the sour. What I liked the least about this beer was how acidic it was, I know that comes with the territory when it comes to sours, but if it was toned down just a little I think it would help the drinkability. I would for sure buy this beer again and I wouldn't mind seeing how it ages, but I'm not sure it would get any better since it's dry hopped. I would recommend this to any sour fans, it's for sure worth a try. All in all I was happy with this beer and I was little impressed with how well the hops worked with the sour, they used the hops in such a way were it accents the fruity sour flavors and it's far from dominating. So far this in now one of my favorite beers from New Belgium and in the lips of faith series, it's one of the better sours I've had and it's now the best dry hopped sour I've had. Great job guys this is one tasty beer and I really enjoyed drinking it, keep up all that hard work.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hazy yellow orange, small but creamy head.

The dry hopping helps develop a green apple aroma and flavor.

Fussing over trying to find the words for this beer detracts from the enjoyment to be honest. This is a really well balanced, perfectly sour ale. Total home run.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2017 revisit review:
Moderate pour yields a short-lived one inch head over a light amber body with very little lacing. Nose of oak, citrus, and hops. Taste follows nose with a very nice sourness, nice feel, and overall a very nice batch; better than my old rating.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Reviewed from notes: Thanks goes out to Jsanford for sending this one my way.

appearance: golden orange with minimal head

smell: sour, apples,

taste: sour apples, semi sweet, bready, nice balance,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: very good sour beer. had a nice balance between the sweet, sour, and bitterness. would definitely drink again.

Cheers,
The CPJ

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On draught at Belmont Station's Pucker Fest. Served in a Delirium Tremens snifter, Le Terroir is a hazy pale orange with an off-white collar that left no lace.

Smell is super fruity and rich, watermelon with some brett funk.

Taste is great, like jolly ranchers! A nice tartness, sour citrus, tropical fruit, very tasty.

Mouthfeel is dry, puckering and slick, with a medium-light body.

Drinkability is very good, with a nice tart/sweet fruit combo. It could use more funk but has great acidity. Excellent.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

22oz bottle, split and served with fresh pasta and roasted vegetables

appearance: rich golden amber body, light beige film with adequate retention

smell: great tartness - spree candies, tangerine, tropical fruits, grapefruit, candied sugar, oak barrel

taste: The lips of faith line is an interesting beast - 1 out of 3 is pretty awesome and the other 2 are duds. Le Terroir is a pretty fantastic wild ale - cascade hops and sour grapefruit trash the palate, loads of sugar, tangerine zest and oak. Really interesting.

mouthfeel: tart, fresh, overload on the palate

overall/drinkability: nice

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

3.34/5  rDev -21.6%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a New Belgium Globe glass.
7.5% ABV, 01/30/2011.

How kind of Beerwolf77 to not only share this beer with me, but allow me to stroke my tick at his kitchen table!

A - Faintly hazy, the color is a bronzy golden hue topped with an off-white, well-retained head. Nice lace is left caked to the glass.

S - Dry-hopped to high-heaven, this is loaded with delicious juicy grapefruit hops that unfortunately takes a turn for the worse when the good aroma is swapped with that of Chinese food. This smells like lemon chicken doused with sweet and sour sauce with cooked celery on the side.

T - The malt profile consists of an overwhelmed caramel sweetness and toast. The hops burst out with potency that has an underlying citrusy fruit flavor. The Chinese food comes through in the flavor but no where near as much as the off-putting aroma (and I even love Chinese food! Just not in my beer). This finishes with a lactic bite.

M - Very nice sour finish with a lactic kick and medium body. A little thin mid palette though.

O - The sour finish is very good but the food aroma is pretty terrifying. The flavor pulls the overall up a lot more but it's just an ok beer. At first experience I really wouldn't get it again, but seeing so many positive reviews coming off this one, I'd love to nab another bottle and see what the deal with this one was.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a New Belgium Globe glass. 2013 bottle.

Appearance: Pours a deep golden amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About one finger of off white head which fades into a thin patchy layer. Leaves a decent amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A tart, fruity, and yeasty Wild ale aroma with a big kick of citrus hops. Upfront scent of tart and sour cherries along with some funky Brett yeast and hints of wood and oak. Pale malt with hints of wheat, grains, straw, and cracker. Sharp and juicy citrus hop presence with hints of orange, mango, lemon zest, peach, pineapple, and grapefruit. Also some fruit hints of green apples. Also some background hints of earthy hops. A very good aroma.

Taste: Like the aroma hints at, a tart, fruity, and yeasty Wild taste with a good juicy and bitter presence of hops. Big taste of sour and tart cherries upfront. Notes of funky yeast and Brett along with wood and oak. Pale malt with notes of wheat, grains, cracker, and straw. Fruity taste of tart green apple. Juicy citrus hop presence with notes of mango, orange, lemon zest, peach, grapefruit, and pineapple. Some earthy hop notes towards the finish. A really good sour taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a medium to high level of carbonation. Sour, juicy, and fairly bitter and drying.

Overall: A really great spin on a Wild ale. Great balance of sour and bitter hop flavors.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

3.59/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing