Le Terroir | New Belgium Brewing

good
Read the review
Le TerroirLe Terroir

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Wild Ale

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

Reviews: 488 | Ratings: 2,368
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Got this from 2beerornot2beer in the Blind Beer Round 6 BIF.

A: Pours a wonderful amber gold, with more hues of yellow than red. There is about one half finger of pure white head that settles quickly. I can see is decent amount of lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose of this beer is sour. I’m picking up notes of peach, apricot, lemon, and a tiny bit of cherry. There are some earthy grain like qualities to this beer as well.

T: This beer starts off with huge sour notes. It is incredibly puckering. After that initial blast, it shifts into some nice fruit notes (mainly peach and apricot). As the fruit notes fade, I’m picking up on some hoppy citrus and tropical fruit notes. There is also a mild underlying sweetness towards the finish that is really nice.

M: Medium bodied beer. This beer is really tart, and it finishes really dry. There aren’t many lingering flavors in this beer.

O: Color me impressed. This has a massive tart start, but it mellows out and allows all of the other flavors of this beer to shine through. I’d drink this beer again in a heartbeat.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

On-tap at Leon’s Full Service in Atlanta.

Pours a slightly hazy orange-copper color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of medium malts with large amounts of tart citrus aromas. Also present are slight amounts of tropical fruit hops and slighter amounts of funk.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Medium to light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by moderately tart fruits – berries and pears if I had to choose, although it’s not terribly close to either one. Joining in midway through the sip are bright citrus hops that fade out into a moderately tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I had to have this beer again after being a big fan of it from the bottle, and it didn’t disappoint. The slight age does temper the the hops a bit, I'd be interested to see how this tastes in a year or two, although I can't imagine it getting better. Well worth a shot however you find it.

4.4/5  rDev +3%

22oz bottle $8.99 I've had this before on tap and it was much better but this was still good. The bottle notes that it changes every time they brew it so maybe it has a lot of batch to batch variation. Very light orange color and a sour smell that morphs into hops. The taste is very fruity like an odd peach or tropical fruit but still sour. This has A lot less glue qualities (unfortunately) than I remember on tap but it's worth the price tag. Very unique flavors and the hops seem to be the reason.

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%

2014 Bottle shared with friends at home on Oct. 3, 2014. Pours golden, with a bit of slight orange hue, small white head that dissipates quickly. Beautiful aroma of grassy hops, hay, a little funk, some nice citrus and tangerines, and some sweet bready maltiness. Flavor follows the smell, but with much more citrus fruit and sourness. A nice sharp lactic tart here with big juicy apricots and tangerines, and a light grassy hay-like hop bite that doesn’t get in the way of thtis juicy sour brew. Dry finish after the juicy fruits, light to medium bodied, with plus carbonation. This beer exceeded my expectations. What an awesome, awesome sour from New Belgium.

Reviewed from notes: Thanks goes out to Jsanford for sending this one my way.

appearance: golden orange with minimal head

smell: sour, apples,

taste: sour apples, semi sweet, bready, nice balance,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: very good sour beer. had a nice balance between the sweet, sour, and bitterness. would definitely drink again.

Cheers,
The CPJ

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On draught at Belmont Station's Pucker Fest. Served in a Delirium Tremens snifter, Le Terroir is a hazy pale orange with an off-white collar that left no lace.

Smell is super fruity and rich, watermelon with some brett funk.

Taste is great, like jolly ranchers! A nice tartness, sour citrus, tropical fruit, very tasty.

Mouthfeel is dry, puckering and slick, with a medium-light body.

Drinkability is very good, with a nice tart/sweet fruit combo. It could use more funk but has great acidity. Excellent.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

22oz bottle, split and served with fresh pasta and roasted vegetables

appearance: rich golden amber body, light beige film with adequate retention

smell: great tartness - spree candies, tangerine, tropical fruits, grapefruit, candied sugar, oak barrel

taste: The lips of faith line is an interesting beast - 1 out of 3 is pretty awesome and the other 2 are duds. Le Terroir is a pretty fantastic wild ale - cascade hops and sour grapefruit trash the palate, loads of sugar, tangerine zest and oak. Really interesting.

mouthfeel: tart, fresh, overload on the palate

overall/drinkability: nice

3.34/5  rDev -21.8%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a New Belgium Globe glass.
7.5% ABV, 01/30/2011.

How kind of Beerwolf77 to not only share this beer with me, but allow me to stroke my tick at his kitchen table!

A - Faintly hazy, the color is a bronzy golden hue topped with an off-white, well-retained head. Nice lace is left caked to the glass.

S - Dry-hopped to high-heaven, this is loaded with delicious juicy grapefruit hops that unfortunately takes a turn for the worse when the good aroma is swapped with that of Chinese food. This smells like lemon chicken doused with sweet and sour sauce with cooked celery on the side.

T - The malt profile consists of an overwhelmed caramel sweetness and toast. The hops burst out with potency that has an underlying citrusy fruit flavor. The Chinese food comes through in the flavor but no where near as much as the off-putting aroma (and I even love Chinese food! Just not in my beer). This finishes with a lactic bite.

M - Very nice sour finish with a lactic kick and medium body. A little thin mid palette though.

O - The sour finish is very good but the food aroma is pretty terrifying. The flavor pulls the overall up a lot more but it's just an ok beer. At first experience I really wouldn't get it again, but seeing so many positive reviews coming off this one, I'd love to nab another bottle and see what the deal with this one was.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

22 oz bottle into a (New Belgium) tulip.

A: Pours a slightly hazy amber color. The head is a one finger off-white shade. It doesn't have the thickest-looking texture, but it's retention is excellent for a sour. A surprising amount of lacing is left behind. Considering it's a sour ale, it looks damn good.

S: I actually get more of the hops than I do the sourness. Hops provide notes of apricot, peach, grapefruit, mango, pine, and some distant herbs. Tartness lies in the background; personally I was hoping for it to be as sour as La Folie, but I can't deny that this is a quality aroma. Come to think of it, it kind of smells like a soured version of a beer Lagunitas would make. That's a huge compliment.

T: A nice profile of hops open this up nicely. Like the aroma suggested, it's heavy in apricot, mango, and pine, with just a subtle suggestion of herbs. The finish is...well, it's sour - in particular, it displays mostly a lemony tartness rather than a cherry tartness. Not suffocatingly sour mind you (or really, even as sour as La Folie), which simply means the interplay between the hop flavors and the tartness is superb. That's this brew's modus operandi in a nutshell: it takes two desirable qualities (hops and sourness) and balances them beautifully. Hell, I even pick up a malt backbone!

M: Tannic, dry, and puckering. It isn't really drinkable, but God is it wonderful to savor. So very, very wonderful. Carbonation takes a back seat to the palate puckering. On the plus side, the tartness isn't so overpowering that it strangles the tongue.

O: Fuck, this is tasty. Normally, a brew I really adore (for example, Troegs Perpetual IPA) I just want to guzzle 'til the cows come home, but this is something I'll savor happily - and still wish I had another bottle to drink. I need more of this in my life, right now.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange with hints of red and a finger of off-white head. The head quickly recedes into a ring with little lacing.

S: Very interesting smells in here. There are definitely a lot of funk and sour aromas, but there is also an aroma of candy to it. Lemony citrus candy. It smells amazing.

T: Lots of sourness up front with some light vinegar-like flavors as well. There's a definite lemon-like quality to the sourness as well. Some strong funk--for lack of a better word--follows the sourness and it finishes with puckering sour and tart notes. Delicious!

M: Mid-light body with medium carbonation, though with a slightly oily characteristic.

D: With so much sourness and funk to this beer, it's not extremely drinkable, but makes a great sipper. Overall, one of the best and most unique wild ales I've had.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Le Terroir a few weeks ago for $14.99 at The Lager Mill. I've very interested in trying this beer and I've heard more than a few good things about it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice design to it that goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly clear golden amber color that took on more of a amber color when held to the light with a little over two fingers worth of bubbly slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy and spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a fruit aroma being the first to show up with come citrus and tropical fruit aromas, but to me it's the apricot that shows up the most and it goes straight to a sour cherry aroma with the sour aroma starting to take over and it develops more of a sweet tart candy aroma to it. Up next i get some of the hops which I think were where some of the fruity aromas came from and there's also a light floral and light spicy hop aroma showing up in the background. This beer had a very good aroma, the hops seemed to add just enough complexity to it.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with some floral and spicy hops showing up a little and it leads right into the sourness which is on the high side and it has a slight vinegar aspect to it, but it still retains all the sweet tart candy aspects that it had in the aroma. Up next comes the fruits with the apricot showing up just for a second and it goes right into the sour cherrys which are really nice and more sour than cherry. On the finish the sourness lingers into the aftertaste along with some fruity and lightly hoppy flavors. This was a great tasting beer, the hops added just enough complexity to it.

M- Fairly smooth, a little acidic, a little crisp, not too dry, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and I thought it was a very nice example of the style, I have had hardly any dry hopped sours, but to me this is what they should be all about, it's a sour beer first and once the sourness starts to fade just enough hops show up to remind that there is indeed some hops and this beer and I think it adds complexity to a style that can sometimes be to dominated by just sour and not much else. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little acidic, a little crisp, not too dry, not filling at all and the taste did a good job of holding my attention, I think one glass is the perfect amount for me, I might be able to drink the whole bottle, but there's a good chance that the acidic aspect would start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the hoppy aspects worked with this beer, it's got some nice hop flavors and some really nice hop aromas with out adding bitterness which I think would really clash with the sour. What I liked the least about this beer was how acidic it was, I know that comes with the territory when it comes to sours, but if it was toned down just a little I think it would help the drinkability. I would for sure buy this beer again and I wouldn't mind seeing how it ages, but I'm not sure it would get any better since it's dry hopped. I would recommend this to any sour fans, it's for sure worth a try. All in all I was happy with this beer and I was little impressed with how well the hops worked with the sour, they used the hops in such a way were it accents the fruity sour flavors and it's far from dominating. So far this in now one of my favorite beers from New Belgium and in the lips of faith series, it's one of the better sours I've had and it's now the best dry hopped sour I've had. Great job guys this is one tasty beer and I really enjoyed drinking it, keep up all that hard work.

4.31/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

***2013 Release***

Thanks to Kump for this.

Poured from a bomber.

Pours a nice gold body with a chill haze and spotted lacing. Aroma is fresh hops, very floral and citrusy, almost certainly Citra. I take a gulp and my senses are thrown for a loop! Vinous, white-wine like, sour and ends with citrusy hops. My taste buds were going crazy and i loved it. Meshed hoppy and sour perfectly, a win for me.

3.2/5  rDev -25.1%

Pour is mostly transparent golden amber with lots of off white head. Nose is heavily resinous hop with citrus notes and a bit of candied sugar and light nights of bread crust and grain. Taste has a bit more grain up front, gets resinous, lots of hops, moderate sourness, a bit bitter in back, light acidity, candied sugar mid palate, citrus and some leathery brett notes. Medium body, a bit syrupy, decent carb.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Enjoyed at the 1st Annual Brass Hat Brewing Brewfest in Watertown, CT, this little beauty from the bomber shows a somewhat cloudy straw-yellow brown color with a decent frothy white head and very healthy lacing. The aroma impresses you immediately with lemon-bread, skunky yeast and a little sweet bubblegum. I like it and the sour invitation is compelling. The flavor again echoes the lemon sharpness detected by the nose but there's also some peachy vinegar and some vanilla biscuit. Bitter but perfectly drinkable for the style. It's medium-light bodied with lively carbonation and a light, crisp feel. Once again, this Lips of Faith series is really translating the Belgian ideas into accessible American lingo that I thoroughly enjoy. While it's a little different from the couple of European leaders I have sampled, it stands well with them in my mind. Enjoy this if you find it!

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle purchased 8/2011, bottling date unknown.

A - Pours a clear burnt orange with one finger of white head. Head doesn't last long, but maintains a collar. Nice stream of carbonation rising from the center of the tulip.

S - Nice funky sourness in the aroma. Lemon and tart peach, and some lactic sourness. Despite holding this for awhile, I do get some hops aroma. Very nice aroma.

T - While the sourness is front and center, there is a very nice fruitiness here as well. Not a sweet fruitiness, but juicy tart peach, some faint bitterness.

M - Medium, crisp mouthfeel with a nice carbonation level. Some faint lingering funkiness.

O - Really enjoyable sour from New Belgium. The dry hopping adds a nice twist to this, and the peach notes are very tasty. Would love have this again.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sampled at a tasting. Hazy orange pour with a thin white head. Smells of brett and citrus hops. The taste is sour, with notes of vinegar and brett. Dry and sour aftertaste.

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into snifter. 2013 vintage.

A: Pours a lightly cloudy apricot color with a couple of fingers of fuzzy light tan head that faded rather quickly into thin soft looking film.
S: Sweet and fruity notes of bright peaches, apricots and tangerine nectar. Floral and lightly bitter smelling as well. There are some underlying notes of dry yeast, slight funk, and a hint of tartness that reminds me this isn’t just a flowery ipa.
T: Musty, tart, and dry up front, with bright notes of stone fruits and citrus. Peach, apricot, and kumquats follow, with earthy and dirty flavors of barn floor flavored yeast, musty attic and spicy hops. The finish is has a kiss of tart acid and mango, and the aftertaste is juicy, dry and sweet with a lingering fruitiness.
M: Bright and frothy carbonation that bubbly up on my mouth, but it isn’t suffocating or harsh. Soft and drying mouthfeel, medium body with touch of grease to it. More funky than tart, and very easy to drink all-around. Very low acidity/vinegar.
O: I knew this beer was supposed to be really good, but I haven’t really ever been blow away by a NB LoF beer since La Folie. This beer was fantastic. The tart musty base worked very well with the tropical fruit hop addition. Amazing.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Served from bottle into a Bell's tulip. Poured a slightly hazy red-orange with a three finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, citrus, and citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart, citrus, and citrus hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a great brew. The hop character on this one really makes its presence known. Really adds a very nice additional character to the sour and tart backbone going on in this one. A definite must try without a doubt!

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a New Belgium Globe glass. 2013 bottle.

Appearance: Pours a deep golden amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About one finger of off white head which fades into a thin patchy layer. Leaves a decent amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A tart, fruity, and yeasty Wild ale aroma with a big kick of citrus hops. Upfront scent of tart and sour cherries along with some funky Brett yeast and hints of wood and oak. Pale malt with hints of wheat, grains, straw, and cracker. Sharp and juicy citrus hop presence with hints of orange, mango, lemon zest, peach, pineapple, and grapefruit. Also some fruit hints of green apples. Also some background hints of earthy hops. A very good aroma.

Taste: Like the aroma hints at, a tart, fruity, and yeasty Wild taste with a good juicy and bitter presence of hops. Big taste of sour and tart cherries upfront. Notes of funky yeast and Brett along with wood and oak. Pale malt with notes of wheat, grains, cracker, and straw. Fruity taste of tart green apple. Juicy citrus hop presence with notes of mango, orange, lemon zest, peach, grapefruit, and pineapple. Some earthy hop notes towards the finish. A really good sour taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a medium to high level of carbonation. Sour, juicy, and fairly bitter and drying.

Overall: A really great spin on a Wild ale. Great balance of sour and bitter hop flavors.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 batch.

A: Pours a cloudy orange with a good sized and frothy light tan head. Head fizzes out somewhat quickly but with an almost completely solid wall of lacing. Decent retention.

S: Interesting. Sour citrus, orange peel and grapefruit? Hoppy, fruity and tart at the same. Very nice and crisp and refreshing.

T: Huh, hoppy grapefruit up front. Tart citrus follows, mostly a combination of grapefruit and oranges. Quite sour and a kick from the bitterness at the same time in the finish. Lingering bitter oranges and grapefruits.

M: Medium bodied, sharp and crisp.

O: Interesting sour, never had a hopped sour before. The hoppiness enhances the fruitiness and gives it an edge that's really nice. Overall a very crisp and drinkable sour.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12/27...Lips of Faith series. Pours a matted copper with a tick white foam head and lacing. Light citrus nose, malted. Very modest. Full sour ale flavors, soft and chewy. The dry hopping is evident in the finish and the aftertaste. Worthy of recognition.

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Pleasantly tart with a surprisingly large peach flavour courtesy of the dry-hopping. Lemon is there strongly as well. Without the dry-hopping, I think this would be a pretty average sour. With the dry-hopping, it is quite tasty. Still, not as good as the ratings suggest, in my opinion. I would happily drink it again but I wouldn't hunt it out.

4.31/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a dusty orange gold hue with a white 2 finger head. Slightly hazy and very effervescent.

Rather incredible aroma slowly fills the room with the pour, floral, primarily of sour cherries but with a pineapple and guava backing. The smell makes me brace a little for the tartness to follow in the drink but I could bask in this one all day.

Malts are a little more heavy and sweet than I expected, no hop character but a fruitiness that permeates throughout the drink. Pineapples, citrus and very tart cherries on the finish. Sour flashes followed by dryness. Would have preferred that the malts be less heavy as it brings down the sour shock factor a little.

Residue is a bit sticky but over all good body. Actively carbonated and pleasantly drying.

Unique sour something unexpected but enjoyable to the last drop. I've tasted this one on tap at the brewery before and it's markedly more bright and carbonated on tap. Some of the hoppy dynamics have started to fade with age. Still a great offering.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle, Lips of Faith series.

Pours a slightly hazy golden with a big bubbly beige head that recedes quickly but leaves a clump in the middle being fed by a steady stream of bubbles from the bottom.

Aroma is initially hoppy but that's swept away by the big funky brett character and some vinegar as well. There are lots of tropical fruits underneath after the initial funk subsides with pineapples and oranges and some spicy oak.

The taste completely puckers my mouth with the first sip. Massive fruity tartness in combination with the acidity and earthy funk. After the initial sour onslaught, the toasted malts and lemony hops start to shine through, maybe some grapefruit and apricots. Finish is dry and oaky with plenty of lingering funk.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with good carbonation and exceptionally crisp and clean.

Overall, this is a great sour, but be prepared for the big sour blast on the palate, because if you are, you're rewarded with a complex and very drinkable beer. Big fan of this one.

On tap at Burger. in Santa Cruz. POurs an opaque tangerine bronze color with a sticky white head. Aroma is lemons and unripe berries, blackberries in particular come to mind, seedy and tart. Flavor is acidic unripe fruits, citrus and berries, something subtly herbal, lemonhead candy, slight honey malts in the finish, very dry and tart. Palate is very nice but I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the depth of flavor. Reminds me a lot of unsweetened lemonade. Still a good beer.

Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing