2° Below

Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Notes: Dry-hopping during fermentation creates a floral nose with a hint of pepper and spicy, subtle undertones.

Reviews: 579 | Ratings: 1,248 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
jjamadorphd from Florida

3.96/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This was a surprise I have not had in quite some time...

I have had quite a few NBs in my time, but this one was really a surprise. I was not expecting much and got so much more. Looks great with nice head retention, the taste is mild but with strong hints of coriander, and a mouthfeel that was so full-bodied, for an ale, that it truly blew me away. Overall, this is truly a great beer, and even though I had it out of season, it was still a great time to have.

Apr 18, 2021
puboflyons from New Hampshire

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

From a 12 fl. oz. can with a best by date of 25 Apr 2021. Sampled Feb 12, 2021.

Very attractive looking copper amber pour with excellent clarity and a boisterous cream colored head.

Aroma speaks with a hint of fruit and otherwise sweet biscuits and barley grain. Floral too.

Lighter body.

Refreshing sweet malt flavor with a mild floral or fruity finish. A pleasant offering.

Feb 12, 2021
rudiecantfail from Pennsylvania

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a tulip glass.

L---Beautiful, clear Amber color. Fluffy white head with very good retention and excellent lacing. This one is a real looker.

S---Light aromas of fruit and dough.

T---Fortunately, a lot stronger than the nose. Fruity (citrus) & floral.

F---Medium bodied, perhaps a little lighter than would be ideal. Good carbonation.

O---Its appearance probably set expectations too high. Mild in flavor and very mild smell.

Feb 06, 2021
MetalHead7734 from South Carolina

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Beautiful caramel color with an ok head.

Smell: Bread and citrus. A little muted.

Taste: Subtle malt and hops. Citrus. Dry malt finish.

Feel: Good carbonation and body.

Overall: Great beer from New Belgium!

Jan 09, 2021
StonedTrippin from Colorado

3.77/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

gorgeous golden colored brew, simple and malt driven, but not sweet or overly caramelized or anything, sometimes less can be more, and this is a good example of that, not a ton of hops or anything, clean on the ferment, its basic but its really well refined, its quality stands out to me more than anything in the taste specifically. honey colored and a touch of that sweetness in the middle, but its on the dry side to finish, has a richer fuller biscuity grain complexion without being deep enough to bring in toasted or nutty elements that are more common in winter ales, and i like this taking a somewhat more reserved approach on that. lightly floral hops and just balancing bitterness, clean late, bubbly in the mouthfeel, even refreshing. i had this with homemade tomato soup and it was a nice counterpoint to the acidity of the tomatoes, drinkable but also wintery as well, just in a different way than has become the norm in these winter warmer types. i dont think new belgium gets enough credit for this sort of thing, but i personally would take their winter beers over most of their ranger series offerings. this is tidy and almost crisp, nicely executed.

Dec 20, 2020
Weisenbeer from Ohio

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Ok... Much prefer Accumulation ... In concerned this beer may be a bit old in that it's kinda flat and unexciting ... Had higher hopes ..... Worth a try, but that's about it

Dec 20, 2020
ABabbidge from Kansas

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

L: Dark amber color with a foamy head. Decent lacing.

S: Pine and citrusy hop aroma. A little bit of bready malt as well.

T: Caramel malt up front. Earthy/ floral hop flavor shows up next. Slightly bitter finish. Reminds me of an English bitter somewhat.

F: Light carbonation with moderate body.

O: Not what I think of when I think of a winter ale. Scratch that, that's how this beer was listed on Untappd, now that I scroll down is see BA has it listed as an ESB. Now it make sense that this reminds me of an English bitter, just with a more hoppy aroma. Overall pretty good. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it again, but it's worth a try.

Feb 26, 2017
erk0607 from Colorado

3.72/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look: medium amber, soft off white beige head that fluffs up nicely, no visible carbonation
Smell: Fruity hop aroma, a little bit of orange, grass/lemongrass, earthy
Taste: A sweeter, lightly hopped beer, medium bitterness, flavor mirrors the smell with the earthy / grassy / noble hop profile.
Feel: smooth, slightly on the heavier side, a bit resiny/viscous, but very refreshing
Overall: I like it, not overbearing in any aspect. Got as part of a retro sampler 2/2017.

Feb 17, 2017
flgimp from Pennsylvania

3.57/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I liked it. Poured into frosted pilsner with a clumpy creamy head lacing the glass as I drink. Not much smell. Straight forward bright taste of malt and light citrus hops. Feel is on light side with ample carbonation. Very refreshing

Jan 20, 2017
Davepoolesque from Massachusetts

2.63/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Golden amber in color. Clear in appearance. This is not good. It's complete rubbish. Messy, malty and somewhat hoppy. Flavors didn't come together. Hard pass on this.

Jan 11, 2017
dacrza1 from New Jersey

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

DATE: January 5, 2016... OCCASION: returning from a cold night at LVR, the mood is right for a winter warmer... GLASSWARE: Corsendonk tulip pokal... a swirling storm of small bubbles rush through the glass and create a dense snow pack of white, clumpy head... body itself is copper and clear--appreciable at a distance... immediate peppercorn, earthy seed, melon, resin, vanilla, and toasted malts--enticing and warming, with a kick of attitude... a flowery earthiness also joins the fray, as does toffee... buttery, slightly oily, and active at the tongue--hops are present, but this medium-bodied beer doesn't really rest any one specific place... a mild finish that exits without much fanfare... no insult, but not a standout in this regard... toffee, caramel; light flower, pepper, spicy herbs, a bit of lemon, and maybe some honey--enough to set up shop and sip for study or slam with abandon... as the glass drains, serious snow smears down its side... I see this not as not on par with other NB work, but a relatively high ceiling has done this to me... solid, especially as part of a winter mix, and the second and third bottles will not go to waste...serviceable, but not in the upper echelon of winter beers...

Jan 06, 2017
Zraly from Virginia

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Light, clear copper with a two finger head. Earthy hops and toasty malt aroma.

Clean, malty notes. Toasted bread and a hint of sweetness. Earthy and herbal hop notes. Reminds me if you made a less sweeter version of Fat Tire with a higher OG.

Very nice beer. It drinks more like a 5% beer than a 6.60% beer. Really good for a cheese plate with crusty bread.

Dec 17, 2016
StoutHunter from Michigan

3.57/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's 2 Below Winter Ale in their new Winter Variety pack. I'm always down to try a new beer from new Belgium, so lets see how it goes. 2016 Vintage.

A- The Label is nice, it fits this beer well and it's just a little eye catching. It poured a clear amber color that didn't really change when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of patchy lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a somewhat lighter yet complex hop aroma with some citrus rind, green hops, light spicy and floral hops aromas. Up next comes some doughy yeast that leads into the malts which show up a little more than the hops and they impart a very grainy, toasted malt, bready and bread crust like aroma. This beer has a nice aroma, but I wish the hops stuck out a little more to give it the perfect balance.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and it imparts all the same aspects, but it's just a little lighter than it was in the aroma. Up next comes the doughy yeast and it's followed by the malts which impart all the same aspects that they did in the aroma and they show up just as much. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with a slightly hoppy and very malty aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but nothing really sets it apart.

M- Smooth, crisp, pretty clean, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and solid example of the style, there wasn't anything really wrong with it at all, but there also wasn't anything that made it really stick out or be memorable to me. This beer had nice drinkability, I could drink a couple, but I would start to get bored with it after that. What I like the most about this beer is the appearance, it's a very nice looking beer. What I like the least about this beer is the taste, it's not bad at all, but nothing makes it stick out or be memorable. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I wouldn't turn one down, and I can't say it's a must try, but if your looking for a basic malty beer with a little bit of hops then it might be worth trying. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this one, it's solid, but nothing makes me want to get more of it, it's kind of indifferent for me. It's not a favorite New Belgium beer and it's a little above average for the style. Solid job guys, but with a little more work I think this could be a pretty good beer.

Dec 08, 2016
losthusker from Nebraska

Yesssssssss! First folly pack of the year that didn't contain anything objectionable to me, ie spicy, sour, or Belgian. Anywho, this is un-retired for the season and looks, smells, feels, and tastes awesome. Winter warmer, not ESB.

Nov 20, 2016
rodbeermunch from Nevada

3.18/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Can't really pigeonhole this style, looks like an amber ale or a winter warmer, call it an esb though. Just seems darker than esb average, drops 1/3" head, off white. Aroma has that woody malt feel.

Little hop presence in this one, it goes winter warmer like malt first. The malt is roasted but not burnt nor charred. It takes on a woodiness to a degree that makes you look on the label to see if it is a 25% wood aged blend (something New Belgium often does).

Bready, unsweetened caramel and toffee notes. Not super earthen. Carbonation higher than average keeping the mouthfeel from being heavy. Run of the mill stuff, not really sure about its esb designation, needs more of a hop presence to get there for my money.

Sep 21, 2016
Libeertarian from Montana

3.52/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Clear, light copper with uniform off-white head of medium retention and decent lacing. Smells like dough in the bottle, bread, caramel, almost raisiny in the glass, no hops to speak of. Aromas are a little too estery. Palate has a caramel, bran-like backbone. Goes well with the apricot fruitiness throughout. Hops are herbal, leafy to almost rindy. Slightly soapy aftertaste, peppercorn on the breath. Medium in body. Effervescent, still fairly crisp. Paired well with some red-wine salami and two gourmet white cheeses (Pierre Robert Triple Creme and Tellagio).

Sep 20, 2015
JohnGalt1 from Idaho

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz purchased at Whole Foods for about $1.40... enjoyed from my FW tulip. Listening to John Kelley High Desert Soundsystem.

CRYSTAL clear orange lite amber.... very nice color... decent head but goes away quickly.

Very distinctive nose, I swear I could pick it out of a lineup. Toasted grains are all over the place ... still hops are there, but are definately not of the American varieties... noble hops all the way here ... they just don't work well together.

Flavor is aromatic and toasted malt (Victory??) ... clean very vibrant noble hop balance. The malt flavor is like chewing on a small teaspoon of brewers biscuit malt... the hops really muddy it up. Edit: The taste is also very earthy, like a cigar humidor, sorta reminds me of a fresh hop brew... I just can't put my finger/palate on it.

Wow.... this is a back and forth review... I have, would and will buy this beer again here and there just because it is soooo freaking different ... and damnit, I want to figure it out.

3.5/3.5/3.5/3.25/3.25

Jan 30, 2015
Pantalones from Virginia

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Drank my first two from the Folly pack before I started doing reviews, and have had the weirdest craving for this beer the past couple days (ever since my taste buds and nose started really recovering from this cold I've had lately, oddly enough) so I figured... hey, why not have another? Seems like an appropriate time for it--though it's not quite "2 below" outside, it is definitely the coldest it's been in my area since last January (hit the mid-teens earlier today)... good night for a winter-themed beer I suppose.

Looks, like every other beer I've had from New Belgium, very nice. Sort of a dark coppery sort of color, hovering between dark orange and light orangey brown, with a nice fluffy-looking not-quite-white head of foam on top and constant upward streams of tiny little bubbles from a few spots around the glass. Starts to shrink away after a bit, leaving a trail on the side of the glass as it ends up as just a thin covering on top.

The smell is pretty interesting. Shortly after opening the bottle, a sniff came up mostly fruity; after pouring, there's fruitiness and nuttiness and some other things going on--leaning toward fruity when the foam's still on top, with the nutty part coming out stronger as it fades away. I almost want to say that it starts to remind me a bit of tea as it warms up a little. Gets a bit less pleasant later on, unfortunately, so I had to drop my score a bit.

Taste is kinda like the smell in a way, but different. The nuttiness (which reminds me of Fat Tire actually--probably not too surprising considering that they're made by the same people and all) is definitely present, but there seems to be a lot of other stuff going on too, enough that I'm almost having difficulty putting into words everything I'm noticing (I assume there are some flavors in here I'm not familiar with, so I can taste them and think "hey, that's something different" but I don't know quite how to describe them in words, though I'll try as best I can.) On some sips I picked up an almost citrus fruit-like flavor, but just a hint of it, and that particular flavor seemed to vanish after a short while; sometimes I get a little bit of a pine-like flavor which I know has got to be from one of the hops involved--it's not exactly like the pine-type flavor I noticed in Ranger and Rampant (even aside from not being as strong), and it's not always there like the nuttiness, but something in there reminded me a bit of pine. There's also a sort of... I guess "dried leaf-y" sort of thing going on sometimes which is pretty interesting when combined with the nutty flavor; seems to come out more as I'm getting into the later half of the glass, replacing (or maybe blending together with?) the bits of pine I noticed earlier. The fruitiness from the initial smell (and sometimes the nuttiness as well) returns in burp form after drinking my way through half the glass.

Feels pretty nice also. Goes down pretty easy but at the same time feels more substantial than a lot of drinks--definitely not watery, but doesn't feel excessively fizzy either. There's a definite bitterness going on (is it weird that I count bitterness as more of a sensation in the mouth than a taste? maybe so, but it seems like the "bitter" flavors and the feel of "bitterness" itself aren't quite the same thing), but the bitterness is never overwhelming or unpleasant at all even by the end of the glass. I almost get the feeling that I could drink another one right now, and I don't usually have two beers in one sitting. Balanced, I guess you could say.

And speaking of feelings, I am definitely starting to notice the effects of the alcohol as I get near the bottom of the glass, even though I had a ham-and-cheese sandwich just an hour or so before. Yep, this definitely has more alcohol than the average beer--but just like the other things going on it's balanced, not some crazy amount of alcohol that would get me insta-drunk after one bottle, just enough to make its presence known. I suspect I would be pleasantly "warm and fuzzy" if I went ahead and drank my last remaining bottle after this one's gone. I already feel warmer now (with my heater off) than I did earlier (with the heater on, and a full glass of beer in front of me rather than a near-empty one.) Tonight was definitely a good night for this beer.

Interestingly, it seems like every time I have this beer I notice more going on than I did the previous time--the first time I enjoyed it but I had difficulty distinguishing different flavors; the second time I could tell there was both a nutty taste and a vague "something else... must be hops" going on; and now, on my third bottle, I'm noticing all kinds of smaller details I never really did before. It's so odd how this one didn't really stand out to me much on my first bottle, but by the third bottle it might just be my second-favorite beer from the variety pack. I'm hoping that trend continues, as I still have one more left in the fridge!

Jan 08, 2015
blindtiger24 from Colorado

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Golden / copper, clear, active carbonation, thin bubbly head.

S: Roasted malts, cereal grains, burnt toast, maybe some cocoa or granny smith apples.

T: Big malty flavor, slight esters of banana and clove, caramel apples, a little hop snap of bitterness as well.

F: Sweet and warm on the tongue. A little sticky but overall is clean and smooth.

O: Great for sitting by the fire in yuletide!

Dec 28, 2014
scootny from New York

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A 12 oz bottle. A light terracotta liquid with a Creme fresh head. Light toasted biscuits and mild Belgo-funk fruitiness. Toffee tinged sweetness, herbaceous hops. Taste follows like a winters Fat Tire. Well balanced malt body with a dry graininess. Light caramel sweetness. Herbal earthiness with a light hop bitterness clinging to my palate. Feel is nicely weighted for winter with a light creaminess'. Smooth and drinkable it is a satisfying and delicious brew.

Dec 27, 2014
hophugger from Virginia

3.27/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a bright, shiny gold that is so clear!!!!!!. Head is real nice and marshmallowy, lacing is some of the best I have ever seen. Hops hit the nose first followed by some sweet malts. Taste hits first with the malt of a bitter , then finishes real nice with the Sterling and Liberty hops, creating a beautifully balanced beer. Not quite like any other ESB I have had, but still a very nice beer !

Dec 21, 2014
jwc215 from Arizona

3.42/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark golden with a fluffy head. Thin trailing lace sticks.

The smell is fruity (citric), slightly perfumy.

The taste is tea-like, slightly woody, some dried tobacco mixed with a biscuity malt. Citrus comes through in the finish. Something about the mixture isn't sitting so well, but works adequately enough. Some slight alcohol warmth comes through.

Lighter-bodied for a "winter" release, but works well enough. It's smooth.

Not sure what is really "winter" about it, but it's a decent enough brew. It has an ESB/Bitter character about it (and on the hoppy side), but it just didn't "mesh" well together enough to be anything great, in my opinion. Still in all, glad enough it was in the winter variety pack and to have had four bottles of it.

Dec 10, 2014
dcscientist from Colorado

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This isn't my favorite winter warmer, simply because it's kind of light but still somehow too bitter for my taste. If you like that, then give it a shot, but I prefer other winter seasonals more.

Sep 25, 2014
Jadjunk from Georgia

3.94/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

"We like to think we beat winter at its own game with 2º Below Winter Ale- a bright, warming blast of Sterling and Liberty hops along with tawny roasted malts. By pushing our 2º Below into a final, nearly freezing state, its ample structure develops a brilliant clarity. Dry hopping during fermentation creates a bright, hoppy palate and a cheery warm afterglow." Brewed in the style of an English ESB. Previously a winter seasonal as recent as 2010-2011, this was re-released once more in the winter 2013 folly pack as a one-off. Available in 12 oz. bottles and on draft.

Poured from a 12 oz. Bottle to a New Belgium globe glass. Served north of 51º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a golden cream white head of a frothy, silky consistency over a very mildly hazy copper orange body with otherwise brilliant clarity. Carbonation is moderate, plentiful and vivacious. Retention is superb and lacing is light and sticky. 4.25

(Smell) The presence of hop characters in this beer is very distinctive, very fruity, floral and underripe citrus presence on top of a biscuity, lightly toasted caramel grain malt base. Bitterness is modest and the sweetness is equally tame- overall the balance is enjoyable. Potency is medium-high. 4

(Taste) The balance is even more evident in the flavor. A pronounced biscuit caramel and toffee malt base provide a distinctively English malt build, whereas the hop profile, slightly less potent than in the aroma, still generates a flavorful assembly of fruity, floral and earthy hop notes, nothing too contradictory to style nor distractingly bitter, the beverage is drinkable and very well balanced. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) Texture is smooth, fluffy, very clean. Carbonation generates a very mild frothiness and little crispness for a tame mouthfeel. The body is medium for the style, medium overall. Balance is equal parts bitter and sweet, just ideal for the style and drinkability. Alcohol presence and off-flavors are at a bare minimum. It should be noted that while many English style ales have a range of Diacetyl and mineral characteristics, 2º Below for the most part avoids this in favor of more approachable flavors. 4.25

(Drinkability) This beer blew me away the second time I had it, just so much more to expect over a no-frills ESB, the fruity and zesty hop profile works wonders for turning up the flavor in this beer. Highly drinkable, gracefully balanced and quite the quaffable ESB, perhaps in name only. Now if they could only decide to keep a seasonal around for more than a year at a time, I'd get it at every chance. This is arguably my favorite of the winter seasonal selections that New Belgium has put out, and I hope they return to bringing old favorites back in the near future. 4

New Belgium Brewing Company's
2º Below Ale
3.93/5.00

May 01, 2014
blackcompg from Illinois

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a quick finger of off-white eggshell head, body is a brilliant transparent light golden orange, lively carb action in the body, thick broken foam rings left after each quaff.

Smell - dark toffee, robust wheat bread, sweet dark fruits like ripe plums, warm brown sugar, and just a slight whiff of floral hops and trace minerals.

Taste - Wow - very much like the nose, but an absolute balanced symphony - flavors are so well blended that it's harder to separate the flavors like you can in the smell - flavor starts heavier towards the brown sugar/toffee/wheat bread crusts and semi-sweet plum, floral hops join moments later, and then there is a spicy yeast flavor accompanied by some earthy mineral flavors. Finishes slightly bitter and dry with dried flowers, breadcrusts and minerals.

Mouthfeel - The large flavors and light sweetness give this a medium mouthfeel, carb is just medium and smooth on the tongue but then gives some extremely crisp, bright edges along the sides and back of the tongue. The feel at the front and center is wonderful, but almost has a slight harshness at the back, making you look forward to the next sip.

Overall - For whatever reason, I just personally like alot of the "typical new belgian" flavors that I find from the similar yeast and malt profiles used in their beers - at least it certainly tastes like it. This in many ways is like an amped up Fat Tire, and that's not a bad thing in my book. I believe this is a seasonal release, check it out if you get the chance.

Mar 22, 2014