Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer) | New Belgium Brewing

Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer)Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer)
3.61/5
Good
Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer)Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer)

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: Witbier

IBU's: 12

Added by mentor on 05-16-2006

3.23/5  rDev -10.5%

A - Pale yellow, hazy as can be. Bright white foam remains on top for a while. Yeasty, wheaty, nice looking brew poured in a tulip. Lacing.

S - Typical wit nose of citrus, yeast... Coriander. Nothing crazy but on point for the style.

T - Kinda falls off with the taste. Sort of a muddled citric mess, with nothing taking a center-stage, and nothing standing out in the finish. I think the recipe could be worked on a little bit.

M - Creamy, undercarbonated, medium body.

D - Sessionable, but there's no real need for it. A good picnic beer.

Notes: This is the first beer I drank that's claimed to be "organic". If organic beer tastes like this, I think I'll pass. A nice try from New Belgium but when you have Allagash White in the same fridge, who needs it?

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours out to a cloudy golden yellow, with a nice thick white head that subsides slowly.

The smell is sweet of honey and a little bit of orange peel. Reminds me a lot of Hoegaarden.

The taste is very bready and sweet, with very little in the way of hops. The taste washes in the mouth, and sort of lingers.

The taste lingers a bit too much, and thats what bothers me, but otherwise, it is fairly light.

This is a fairly drinkable beer that I will buy again.

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

Another surprise from New Belgium. This beer poured a hazy, yellow with a huge, fluffy white head. The smell was of wheat and oranges. The taste was a very refreshing wheat taste with little to no bitterness to speak of. The orange taste came through in the taste as well. The mouthfeel was medium body with medium carbonation. Overall an incredible beer. Something to drink during the hot summer months! Loved it.

3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

Mothership is not an outstanding example of the style - falls middle of the road. One finger suds that stuck around - cloudy appearance that cleared quicker than average. Nose and taste are typical of a wit - clove, light lemon citrus. The mouthfeel was pretty thin but all in all hit the spot. One of the better organic brew choices.

3.7/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - very pale light straw-ish white beer, rocky white head that laced all the way to the end of the pint glass

Smell - natural earthiness, grassy smell

Taste - light delicate flavor of citrus, orange and lemon?

Mouthfeel - very smooth and soft on the palate

Drinkability - easy drinking, light but not weak or watery,

3.25/5  rDev -10%

Poured a light yellow color into a pint glass. This beer smells about like you would expect a Belgian White to smell (sorry I can't be more specific). I got some citrus flavors in the beer, but overall, this beer didn't have much in the way of flavor. This would be a great beer to drink on a hot day, but other than that, it was not too appealing to me. Not a bad drink, but nothing special.

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bomber from Lowry Hill Liquors. A nice beer, but too clean for my liking. Most of the character comes from the yeast itself (not its byproducts) and the wheat. This make for a pleasantly bready and earthy beer that reminded me of a cleaner Summit Hefeweizen (a different style - yes, but not that different in flavor). The body was light, the carbonation was high, and it finished a bit dry compared to most wits (Hoegaarden is sweeter in my memory). Overall it was quite drinkable and fairly tasty, but there are better wit's out there. If you're an organic freak, however, here's a good beer for you.

4.39/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Has a hazy lemonade appearance, has nice two finger head that receded fairly quickly. Has some lacing but not much. Has a citrus as well as a strong banana and pepper taste and smell. Well balanced, started nicely but had a dry finish. Goes down smooth has nice mouth feel, but not much carbonation.

3.25/5  rDev -10%

A nice easy drinking beer that would be great in spring or summer time. Pale, straw-like hue with a slight haze and an extremely white head with very little retention. Aroma and flavors both have similar qualities: Lemon, coriander, pepper, wheat, and banana. Nicely carbonated, but runs a little thin in the end.

4.39/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- pours a lemonade color with 1 finger head that recedes to no head or lacing. I like the cloudiness but the lemonade color is a little odd.

S- Orange, coriander, big pepper, slight banana.

T- Big orange, slight lemon, coriander, big pepper finish which I am fond of.

M- Low carbonation but a very nice full body.

D- A great witbier that I will enjoy again in the future.

3.4/5  rDev -5.8%

I just came back from a bike ride and realized how beautiful spring can be. Flowers of all colors are blooming everywhere, and the waether is pleasant as well. Then I thought this wouls be a good time to pop the cap of my Mothership Wit and capture and taste of spring in my glass. I'm off to retreive my bottle and glass, so on to the beer:

It's damn near colorless with its watery straw color and patchy head on top. Good head retention for the style and leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma is that of any other witbier I've had; good and spiced. The beer's flavor and feel is light. It's a witbier alright, but no particular flavors are exploding on sight. A mix of orange and lemon flavor seem to dominate with a little spice on the side. Good for a warm day? Sure. Good for a witbier? Not in my opinion.

It started promising, but dropped off the pace. This is one of many exhibits why just having "organic" in the name doesn't mean it's going to taste better.

3.98/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: hazy pale yellow in color with a one finger head. Some spotty lacing developed during the session.

Aroma: coriander, hints of pepper, and soft wheat tones.

Taste: nice wheat base with some pepper, coriander, oranges, and some light bitterness. Very refreshing beer here.

Mouthfeel: crisp throughout. Light in body. Aftertaste is very brief as some of the spices and citrus linger softly on the tongue.

Drinkability: very easy to quaff this one. Refreshing and thirst quenching.

3.7/5  rDev +2.5%

22 ounce bottle from La Bodega in Riverside, CA., March 2008. Price not recorded.

Pours an incredibly pale stray yellow- take straw yellow, let it fade in the sun, and here it is. Clear, with a modicum of carbonation in the Hoegaarden glass keeps a thin cover around for a while.

Aroma is typically wit lemon, spices, and wheat, but weak. Flavor is the same profile, not as fruity as more famous versions, but that's OK. Based on color and aroma, I was very worried the flavor would be missing in action, and honestly, it's not as strong as some in the style, but I actually quite like it.

This is wickedly easy to drink on a warm spring afternoon. Not as complex and interesting and challenging as some other witbiers, but I think it is the right thing for a hot day!

4.57/5  rDev +26.6%

I wasn't expecting too much from this beer, picked a 22 ounce bottle up for $1, but after cracking the top off I was greeted with a wonderful scent of beer with a slight spice to it. I was grilling outdoors at the time so I didn't properly pour it into a glass, but it was still a wonderful beer. Crisp and clean. Sweet, with very little after taste. Can't wait to try it again, just wish I could find that price again somewhere.

3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

A - Pours a slightly cloudy golden with a hint of lime tint that produces a medium sized bubbled white foam head that has decent retention, but gradually fades to a covering leaving quite a bit of smear.
S - Medium strenght aroma of grain, slightly alcoholic, and banana.
T - Wheat, then banana, then a light finish of alcohol that's clean. The taste lingers for a few seconds, then fades to nothing, making you want more. Good balance.
M - Medium to high carbonation, pretty light body, low bitterness, refreshing.
D - Very drinkable beer. I normally go for darks, but this one is pretty good. Refreshing, but a little too much banana flavor and aroma for my liking. New Belgian's line-up is strong.

3.7/5  rDev +2.5%

12oz bottle poured into wine glass.

Appearance: Hazy light golden in color with a thin white head.

Smell: Light coriander, orange and yeast.

Taste: Nice spice balance. More coriander flavor than some witbiers but not offensive. This beer finishes with an almost ginger-like flavor.

Mouthfeel: As one would expect, this has a light body. Nice spicy feel and carbonation.

Drinkability: Complex for a witbier, but very drinkable.

2.3/5  rDev -36.3%

A - Pours a pale, pale yellow, almost faint in color, as if it were faded.

S - Bananas, overwhelmingly like older bananas, wheat, and hops, also very hearty.

T - Just as it looks and smells, they is little to no body compared to other wheat brews, and the pale color gave a preview to the dull lackluster flavor.

M - Very light.

D - ....

3.72/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Magic Hat Hocus Pocus glass. Beer pours a golden straw / pineapple color with a two finger, creamy, white head. Moderate carbonation and light lacing around the glass.

Aroma was cloves, pepper, spices, banana, yeast and citrus.

Taste was spicy and yeasty with a very slight sour note to it.

It's a good beer. I'm not a huge witbier drinker, so I probably wouldn't have more than one or two of these on occasion. I had this on tap at the brewery before it was bottled and made part of their standard lineup. At the time, I thought it was much more flavorful, but that's to be expected I guess.

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

A: Cloudy but not hazy ligh yellow, almost greenish. Thick white head, almost like cream soda and quite bubbly looking.

S: Crisp wheat is prominent along with plenty of citrus and spices.

T: Strong citrus flavor, lemon and orange, and again plenty of spices. Cloves and coriander particularly stand out.

MF: Bubbly but overall fairly thin. Long lasting aftertaste. Smooth despite the carbonation.

D: Beats the hell out of Blue Moon. I'm sure there are better Wit's out there, but I think the flavor on this is pretty good.

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

I need to be concious about judging this beer against the style, mainly because I thought that Mothership was a little boring. I remember though, that it is a wit beer, and for what it is; tastes pretty good. I drank it first in my living room at night, and was a little disapointed, but this afternoon I had it with some buddies while making beer and it was pretty good.
Appearance, looks great for a wheat beer.
There is not much aroma, but it smells nice and subtle.
I like this beer compared to other wits in that the mouthfeel is a bit more full. There is no dry astringency that I noticed, which I like quite a bit.
This is a great beer for doing anything in the sun.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into NBB snifter.
A: Pale lemon hue with frothy, light, white head. Fairly thick, but dissipates quickly.
S: The aroma of classic Beglian white spices...coriander and citrus.
T: Pleasant coriander and orange notes, then soft malt undertone. Very light, wheat, and citrusy.
M: Nice and light body. Taste quickly disappears and lacks complexity.
D: Quite drinkable (any decent wheat should be). Like a junior Hoegaarden, but organic. Nice summer beer.

2.85/5  rDev -21.1%

It's not easy being green-ish...that was my first thought as I poured this beer into my glass. Could be too many light bulbs out in the kitchen, but I kept thinking I was about to consume a limeade of some sort. Still, it wasn't unpleasant to look at so I moved on to the nose..

Big citrus essence - more lime, lemon too, and not quite as much orange as I might have expected, but it's all in there, sour and strong, just like a good wit should, along with a bit of banana.

But where's the wheat? If subtle is what they're going for, they met that goal. The smooth mouthfeel and the muted undertones aren't unpleasant, but I was expecting a bit more, er, character.

Still, I find it somewhat refreshing, and as other BAs have mentioned, this would beer would likely taste a lot better on a hot day in the summer.

3.43/5  rDev -5%

22 oz bomber.
4.8% abv

Pours a pale, cloudy, very light straw color...meh.
The aroma is pretty solid. Orange peel & lemon zest up-front with plenty of spices involved...coriander, pepper, & soft wheat stand out.
Flavor is a combination of grainy wheat & orange peel. The spices are enjoyable but not distinct...the obvious coriander & white pepper fill their roles pretty well. Didn't notice much for yeasty flavors, however.

Light mouthfeel with a crisp finish. Certainly an approachable wit and a thirst-quencher for sure.

While not a stand-out beer, this did get me in the mood for spring/summer to arrive. I may have to keep a few of these in the fridge until then.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a beautiful very pale yellow with nice bright white head. This is one of the lightest yellow beers I have ever seen. The unique color is the reason I gave this a bump in score. Nice head as well. The nose is wheaty and spicy. A good dose of fruit in the nose as well.

The taste is a little sweet with fruit and spice. A little watery. This also influences the mouthfeel score. Overall a good drinkable beer.

3.77/5  rDev +4.4%

A- A head that was maybe one finger. It disappeared quickly. The color is a nice hazy silver.

S- A citrus smell to it. A little bit of spice.

T- The taste is very refreshing. A nice bit of lemon bursts through.

M- A little bit watery. Not much body.

D- Very drinkable beer. I see having this on a hot day. Very good.

This is a decent wit beer. I am pretty happy with it. A decent color and taste. Very good effort.

Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer) from New Belgium Brewing