Springboard | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Availability: Spring

Added by Wasatch on 01-13-2007

3.3/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured a pale yellow color with a slight haze, but clear enough to easily see bubbles escaping. Had a nice, thick head. Called it average despite the lack of color. Nose was dry with some hops and what smelled like adjuncts. Fruit and yeast apparent, too. Body was light yet lots of flavor present. Hops and yeast very noticeable. Possibly a bit of phenolic flavor, as well. Interesting. Could have used a bit more zing in the mouthfeel, but the drinkability was above average. Had an odd, chalky dry finish.

Didn't start out that well but a good beer overall.

2.8/5  rDev -20.9%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a cloudy pale yellow color. Maybe a quarter inch white head, average retention, and minimal lace.

Aroma is somewhat mild, maybe slightly grainy, with fruits and a mild hop note.

Flavor is not overly impressive either. Not much really punches through. Some pale malt, maybe some grassy notes and a little bit of a sour bitterness in the dry finish. Bitterness only lasts for a moment into the aftertaste.

Medium body, moderate carbonation. I don't get anything too compelling in this beer. The flavor seems absent, and certainly isn't complex or distinctive by any means. Safe to say I won't be picking this one up again.

2.73/5  rDev -22.9%

Light colored cloudy grassy hay infused beer with a light full head of pure white. Light white lacing.

Very fruity and spicey aromas. Berry and melon with hints of belgian yeast. Bright floral aromatics but just lacking some overall depth of aroma.

Not sure about this beer. Doesn't really have much flavor going on and leaves a ruddled gritty film on my tongue on the finish. Grassy light melon flavors thin mouth. Light spice and herbal quality, slight belgian yeast flavors. I guess these could be good on a warm day but otherwise something I'm not diggin.

3.68/5  rDev +4%

I had this while in my old hometown of Ft Collins. I was trying some of the beers I can't get in Atlanta.

This beer was a little unique, it poured nice and light golden colored with a thin head. The smell was faintly of wheat but I focused more on the citrus, malt which was distinct for me. The taste was OK with no off flavors but overall a little light. There was some orange citrus along with some yeast and grass flavors. Drinkability and mouthfeel were good. This is a decent beer but nothing simply outstanding about it.

3.48/5  rDev -1.7%

Upon drinking my first bottle of this ale I was unmoved. I thought it odd. What are goji berries and schisandra? Some sort of marketing tool I was sure. However, I have come to like this beer and I find its taste rather unique.
It pours a straw yellow with a very good head and very solid lacing. To me is smells somewhat like a wheat beer with a slight kick. It tastes nothing like a wheat beer though. It starts out slightly sweet followed immedialty by a smooth dry finish. I did not notice much hop flavor to it, but I might be too used to crazy overhopped IPA's to pick them up.
All in all a good beer that I would gladly have again. Hey you pass me down that bottle!

3.6/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

sampled on tap at the burger bar in las vegas june 5th/07.

pours pale yellow with just a hint of haze. the small very dense white head drops fairly quickly and leaves lots of lace.

aroma is nice, but very light. bready malt. bit of earthy hops. very faint alcohol.

taste is good. simple and enjoyable. solid bready malt base. medium-low bitterness level. earthy hops, with just a touch of grassyness, but not in an unpleasant way.

mouthfeel is good. nice medium carbonation level and a good medium body.

drinkability is good. a simple and enjoyable beer with no noticeable flaws. went great with my burger and fries.

4.42/5  rDev +24.9%

Man I have gone through a lot this season! However, I miss the hell out of Biere de Mars! They both are some of the most unique beers I've had. Props to NB for this ingredient list; I've never even heard of schindanra.

A: Would have liked to see some yeast in here, but it's still not transparent.
S: Unique, hints of Duvel, but overpowered by a herbal garden and some fruit sweetness and tartness (peach, dark cherry). Slight funkiness; prolly the same yeast they used in their Saison.
T: It's only gotten more herbally tasting through the season, esp. the warmwood. Not for everyone, esp. now, but I love it. Kinda like a strong kolsch taste as well, but with wet wood and some sour berries. Lemongrass! Some lingering ginger as well that turns into a piney woodiness.
M: Could be thicker for my preference, but it's a spring seasonal, so its fitting. Nice carbonation. Feels a little different, maybe because of the ingredients.
D: Great as one, although I've had a few in one night as well. Would guess its just above 5%, but it's 6.2%. Evolving taste makes me want more. Stronger and not as refreshing as it was at the beginning of the season. Excited to see how it changes over the months, glad I have a case left...

Like I said, def. not for everyone, but I really did enjoy it. Very interesting, yet appropriate for spring seasonal. Kudos on a well-made beer and for trying something this adventurous!

4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

clear, like a macrobrew, but huge head of big fluffy white bubbles sets it apart. Scent is sweet, citrusy, a little malty, perhpas notes of pine?

Tastes great. Extremely light, finish closes pretty quickly with a grainy dryness. Not a lot of flavor in here, but incredibly drinkable. Herbal infousion flavors aren't very dicernable by my palette, but i think they are playing a big part in balancing this out given how little hop flavor is present.

3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to Talisker for the extra! Pours a very pale straw yellow with a thin head. The aroma is of some pale malts and berries, but somewhat weak. The taste is almost like a Hefe-Weizen with slightly stronger hop presence. The berries provide an interesting aspect, however. The beer is light and crisp and you'd never guess it was 6.2%. This is a unique beer to say the least, just nothing spectacular.

4.36/5  rDev +23.2%

Great brew on a hot day.

It smelled a little sweet. A little lemony.

Great Lemon-Yellow color with some cloudiness. Decent head and lacing.

Taste of honey, lemons and grass - with that typical New Belgium yeast flavor.

Went down smooth and easy. I recommend this on a hot day. Refreshing and tastey!

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

Looks like cloudy urine (won't knock it for that). Medium head that disappears quickly. Decent lacing.

Bannana bread in the nose. Some spice.

Lemon zest, earthy yeast, grass, and bannana flavors upfront. Quite complex. Big biscuity/bready finish (Fat Tire-esque). Spicy hops are subtle.

Slick mouthfeel with prickly carbonation. A little too complex for an all day/night affair. Interesting beer.

3.33/5  rDev -5.9%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a light hazy pale straw yellow body with a thin film of snow white head. The head sticks to the glass with each sip and has a gentle carbonation supporting it.

S- The light smell of pale malt and raw grain have a dry note to them.

T- This beer has a slight sour hint to the pale malt with a finish of green noble and pine hops. There is a note of Munich malt to the pale malt flavor and a slight spice to the hops. The soft bitterness hangs on a second after each sip. There is a soft pungent flavor to the hops.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel.

D- The flavor is interesting and smooth but there is not really much character. The hops have a nice pungent musty hint that would be nice to taste more of in the finish.

2.98/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Duvel glass. Dated best by: 06JUL07. Moderate white head sat on a hazy pale yellow/white body. Interesting.

Smell was yeast and lemon. Subdued.

Taste was mildly sweet. Drying, powdery, and peppery. Perhaps a little minty. Slightly bitter aftertaste. This one never shifts gears, pretty much the same presentation throughout the drink.

Mouthfeel was light. Medium/thin body.

3.45/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a cloudy dirty straw color with two fingers of very white suds.
Smell is wheat more than oats but it says brewed with oats and Wormwood/Gogi berries and Schisandra(no clue).
Wormwood is in my La Fe' Absinthe, can't tell it here though.
Mabey smelling the berries a little. Slight yeast aroma.
Taste is pretty nice and refreshing. Almost a sour berry flavor then the sugar takes over and leaves the mouth with a dark black bean flavor.
The sugar is prominant throughout.
Good cold and would be a good session beer. Not the best from New Begium but not bad at all.

2.88/5  rDev -18.6%

Served on-tap at the Sonoma Wine Exchange.

A: A very pale yellow, a little cloudy. Looks a little like cider.

S: Sour fruits: lemon and green apple, along with some earth aromas such as grass and hay.

T: The smells translate over to the taste. I picked up sour lemon along with some apple. Very earthy, slightly sour and tart.

M: A lot of carbonation along with a mouthfeel consistent to a cider.

D: I didn't care for this beer too much. It had an interesting taste but not one that I really could say I enjoyed.

3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Thanks to jpm30 for this beer.

A: Dull, hazy, pale hay color encompasses the body with a minor snow white head fizzing away at the top.

S: Lemon juice, wheat, floral hops and dust.

T: Tastes a lot like it smells. Begins spritzy with flashes of lemon, green apple and grass clippings. The grassy flavor transitions to loose honey notes yeasty earthiness. Earthiness doesn’t stop there, a distinct dirty bitterness takes shape and offers the beer some depth which it lacked before. Finishes with lingering floral and nectar thoughts.

M: Thin and somewhat hard with a fizzy nature to it. Fitting for the style I suppose.

D: I bet this beer is down right downable on a hot summer day. Bit too sweet though for major pounding, think could really only do three or four in a sitting.

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a light golden color with a very thin quick fading head. Not a lot of smell, slight citrus notes with a little bit of wheat/malt. Tastes a little sour up front with a lime flavor followed by the crisp wheat. Reminds me a lot of the new Spring Ale that Bluemoon/Coors is making. This beer is lighter and the flavors blend better. Not a bad beer but I much prefer their Wit over this.

3.7/5  rDev +4.5%

Odd, yet interesting beer.

Pours a cloudy bright yellow color, with a weak head.

Aromas are muted. Not much on the nose, except a bit of a floral quality.

Taste is sour up front, but not overpowering. The beer then settles into some floral crisp flavors, as well as a tart biting finish.

Mouthfeel is nice. Well rounded and full bodied beer.

Kudos to New Belgian for making something interesting and creative. I wouldn't go out of my way to have this again, but I am glad I sampled it, and I can appreciate it for what it is.

3.69/5  rDev +4.2%

I had this on tap at the Denver airport. It was served too cold to get a good smell, I picked up bit of lemon. The body was cloudy yellow with a nice fluffy white head that left lacing all down the glass. The taste was tart, lemony with some orange and a herbal hop flavor to finish. It finished very dry and refreshing. It had a smooth creamy body. A very refreshing beer.

3.55/5  rDev +0.3%

In the glass this is a hazy yellow colored beer with a tall puffy white head.

The smell is sweet and malty with a crackers and lemons aroma at first sniff. Strangely there is something that seems just too heavy about the malt scent here for the style or for a spring beer.

The taste begins sweet and somewhat light with a small amount of herbal hop in the background. This is quite light and airy in the mouth and there is a slight bite to it that suggests a high carbonation level. While pleasant this isn't a beer that is loaded with flavor.

The mouthfeel is light.

The area where this beer really shines is in the drinkability department. This is light and easy to drink and an excellent choice for a brunch beer or a light lunch.

4.2/5  rDev +18.6%

Nice golden color with white head that leaves thin white lace from beginning to end. Smells clean and yummy. Fruity, citrusy? Nice clean taste, fruity and a bit of citrus. Very refreshing. Feels nice and smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. Another fine beer by New Belgium. Wish I could get this here in Florida, I would love to enjoy it more often.

3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a St. Feuillien chalice, the Springboard ale is hazy light golden yellow, with almost no head, a white collar, and minimal lacing.
The aroma is fairly subdued (although this is my allergy season), pils malt and oats, a little earthy, and some spices I can't place - the label states wormwood (no hallucinations yet), gogi berris and schisandra, none of which I've had or smelt on their own. There is none of the anise that you find in absinthe, which is my only expose to wormwood, and I have seen goji berries, they looked like small dried cranberries, and were very pricey.
Anyways, the taste is pretty good, a bit subdued, reminds me of the Hennepin saison, which I find quite bland compared to any of the authentic versions. A close inspection reveals a soft sweetness, and some unusual nuances that I assume are the afore mentioned spices whose taste I wouldn't recognize. I don't get much in the way of fruit, funk, or any other esters, nor hops, mainly just sweet soft malt and a little spice. It finishes pretty clean, but not as dry as a saison.
The mouthfeel is a bit creamy, light to medium bodied, with a very light carbonation.
This is highly drinkable in the sense that it is light and refreshing with a clean finish. However, the ABV is higher then you can taste, and it's not so tasty that you just can't get enough. Nice hot day bbq beer perhaps, although we don't really have those yet out west in the springtime, so for the season, I would've liked more umph.

2.68/5  rDev -24.3%

12 oz bottle, best before July 15 07.
Hazy yellow, with a fluffy white head and sticky lace.

Aroma is citrusy with some fruity bubblegum, and a spice I can’t pin down.

Flavor is woody, citrusy, herbal.

Finish is dry with an herbal character.

Interesting, but not one of NB best efforts.

2.83/5  rDev -20.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a chalice. Head starts as a white frothy cap and ends as a mild film lace. Some stickiness on the glass. Color is a thin, pale straw yellow.
Smell is very faint floral, with barely there hints of herbal spices. Taste is dry and vinous.
Mouthfeel is very dry. I need some water afterwards to wet my whistle.
This is OK, I don't think I would get it again.

3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

This is a light colored hazy ale with than an attractive thick foamy head which unfortunately dissipates right away. The nose is herbal and slightly floral, but it is quite weak.

The taste of SpringBoard is a hair sharp, there's some herbal flavors, but otherwise an unextraordinary light ale. There's a little bit of a peppery dry finish, decent mouthfeel.

This is sessionable, a little better on tap, not too tasty but easy to drink.

Springboard from New Belgium Brewing