Giddy Up! | New Belgium Brewing

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by Maudite on 08-22-2008

15%

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Got this in trade from vasdef42. Thanks, Jared!

A-Pours a clear honey amber with a fluffy white head but little lacing.

S-Label says this was brewed with lemon peel and infused with espresso. Both are there, though the espresso is dominant. Lemon in the background is very nice.

T-That's nice. Espresso dominates the front of the palate, though it's a bit subdued compared to the nose. Lemon notes take over midway through and this finishes nice and clean. A bit tart and a bit sweet.

M-Clean, crisp, medium bodied.

D-Really refreshing, well balanced between sweet and tarty notes. This is a good one.

HV

3.3/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A clear and deep rust-colored body with a solid finger of eggshell head. Decent chunky lacing.

Aroma: Roasted malt body with lots of medium-roasted coffee. Not much as far as hops or lemon coming through, but the coffee is brilliant. In a blind smell test, there's an outside chance I'd peg this as coffee, not beer.

Taste: It's still very much all about the coffee in the flavor profile as well. The profile is of mildly bitter coffee flavors firmly in the medium-roasted coffee territory, so don't be expecting a dark-roasted espresso. The backbone is somewhat reminiscent of 1554 (although much weaker) and nicely sweet. There might be a splash of citrus in there, but it's hard to pin down.

Mouthfeel: A smooth, medium body with average carbonation.

Drinkability: Moderate drinkability. The coffee might get somewhat tiring after a while.

Verdict: Giddy Up is somewhat one-dimensional beer, but it does what it does perfectly, having the best recreation of coffee flavors I've ever experienced in a beer. If you're looking for medium-roasted coffee flavors in a beer, you can't go wrong here. It works perfectly as part of a mix-pack, but I'm not convinced I'd be picking up a lot of six-packs.

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%

12 oz bottle, best by April 3 2009. Pours a clear reddish amber with a creamy off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is cold coffee and a little toffee and nuts.

The flavor is coffee and roast with some nuts and fruit leading to a slightly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with some sharp carbonation.

Overall, it's pretty one dimensional with the coffee notes, but I enjoy it. It's interesting having a lighter coffee beer with some fruit notes.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a dark amber color, nearly brown, a huge 3 finger tan head, falls slowly, good lacing. Aroma is a nice mix of chocolate, coffee, and bright hops. Still has that same New Belgium yeast aroma that I get in every one of their beers. Taste has very nice coffee flavor, but it's not overly pronounced. The coffee blends nicely with the biscuity, nutty malts and earthy hops. I'm not picking up too much of the lemon. As with the nose, the flavor is typical New Belgium, as most of their beers seem to have a Fat Tire base, and then they work around that. Not sure if it's the malts or the yeast, but many of beers have the same qualities, but that's not a complaint. Just nothing new or exciting. It's slightly sweet and well balanced. Mouthfeel is medium and slightly creamy with the low carbonation. I liked this beer, but couldn't see myself trying to get it in six packs. It was good enough as a treat in the Folly Pack.

A - Pours a clear chestnut brown with hardly any foam, just a ring of small bubbles around the glass

S - nice mild coffee aromas and some roasted malts

T - some sweet malt and nut flavor up front with some nice coffee flavors coming through and some hints of lemon

M/D - medium bodied and easy drinking, a very nice version of a coffee beer. I don't know if I'd want to drink it one after the other, but definitely worth a try.

3.79/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured into pint glass.

Color is a dark orange amber. Slight tan head that was very thin with no lace.

The aroma was amazing. Smells like a perfect roast of coffee. Also lemon zest and coffee bean aromas.

Taste is just like a perfect roast of coffee with lemon zest. There was also a chocolate taste.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Pretty clean aftertaste that is well carbonated.

Overall, this beer is awesome. I really enjoyed this beer and I plan on buying more of it, if I can still find it. I highly recommend.

4.3/5  rDev +19.4%

Another beer provided by SeaBass

A: Pours a nutty brown hue with amber tones showing through. 1/2 finger creamy head which exhibits great retention. Nice solid lace noted.

S: Nice coffee aroams. Not bold espresso, more on the mild side. Notes of caramel malt as well.

T: Nice sweet brown sugar malt up front with hints of nuts. Nice blast of coffee makes this a real winner. Man do I love me some coffee in my beer.

M: Medium in body, smooth, with nice carbonation.

D: Tasty and drinkable as hell. The lower level of coffee makes this one I could session with. Very nice.

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

Double Tree Hotel in San Jose California. Served in a New Belgium over-sized wine glass.

What we have here is a clear deep red colored ale with a small tan head.

Smell is strongly of malt and fresh ground coffee beans. Fainter scents of smoke and vanilla.

The taste starts out strongly of espresso beans fresh roasted and sweet chocolate and vanilla. Easy to describe the flavor of this. This tastes exactly like a chocolate covered espresso beans. After awhile a distinct orange aftertaste develops, rather nice.

Mouthfeel is on the light side.

Verdict is a very tasty and drinkable beer. To enjoy this beer though it is pretty much mandatory to like coffee.

4.4/5  rDev +22.2%

A - Pours up a clear amber with a dense off-white head that dissipates slowly to a thin cap on top of the beer.

S - The aroma if all coffee. And I mean that in a good way. It's a smooth aroma, not roasty, but earthy.

T- Slightly sweet malt starts off, but the coffee flavor fills my mouth. Again, it's not a roasty bitter flavor, but an earthy, chocolatey flavor.

M - Medium bodied with a light carbonation tingle

D - A very easy drinking beer. I really like it.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Espresso and... lemon?!? Cool. Maybe.

Poured nutty brown with ruby highlights. Soda-like head development, becoming creamy. Slightly off-white. Good retention, decent lacing.

Some coffee aroma. Malty, lemon biscuit dough. Zest, with a hop tang, something of a grassy, even spicy note at the end.

Tastes kinda like a doughy nut brown ale with a tad of espresso. There is a noticeable dash of spritzy lemon, as well, especially left on the palate in the aftertaste. Caramel malt, with espresso bittering contributing a slight dark chocolate taste. Some roasted notes.

The feel seems to become medium bodied creamy after starting out pretty light. There is doughiness to the feel also. Roasted and hop-bittering drying sensation at end.

Interesting and tasty. Maybe a bit lacking in "depth," if you will, but its good, goes down smooth, and I'm glad to have had a chance to try it (New Belgium is not distributed to my normal climes).

EDIT: Lowered my drinkability score by .5, had made a mistake. This does negatively affect me original score average.

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass.
A: Pours a clear orange-amber color with moderate carbonation producing a fairly thick 3 cm head.
S: Interesting lemon espresso with citrus hops.
T: Espresso hits first, then the lemon citrus hops start to come through and balance it out. I like the experimentation!
M: Nice--typically smooth NBB feel.
D: A nice surprise from NBB. Interesting enough to make you take your time, yet light enough for good sessionability. A good offering from NBB.

1.78/5  rDev -50.6%

My new Brother in law gave me a couple of mix-a-sixes from Colorado for my "groomsman gift" (I was one of the ushers), and he thought that this one would pique my curiosity given my penchant for peculiar beers.

A - Deep burnished amber. This is nearly maroon in it's dark red intensity, and the head is a big fluffy three finger affair that shows decent retention after it drops to a thick foamy cap. A quick swirl brings up a full finger of head and leaves a good deal of lace on the glass.

S - Whoa! Now that smells CRAZY! The dominant note is of crushed espresso beans and it's exactly like sticking your nose into a bag of freshly ground dark roast. Also reminds me of those dark chocolate covered espresso beads. Honestly, the smell is wonderfully authentic but woefully one dimensional.

T - Ok. I've been giving this time to sink in after many sips... this one is just too weird. I can definitely taste espresso, but it's as if someone dumped a couple shots into a glass of V8 vegetable juice. I can detect rotten tomato ketchup-y flavors that do not complement the coffee notes in any way shape or form, and the combination of a lemon-y tang, malty sweetness, and bitter dark roast coffee is not good.

M - Medium bodied and foamy, this has a viscosity to it that does not help the vegetable juice flavors. This finishes terribly by leaving a rotten pukey foulness in the mouth with a lingering feeling of foamy thickness.

D - I'm glad that I got the chance to try it, but this is absolutely rot-gut. It's too bad too, since the nose is amazingly authentic and smells more like actual espresso beans than any other beer I've tried. It's pretty too, but those flavors just don't do it for me.

2.21/5  rDev -38.6%

Got this one as part of a combo 12 pack. I was surprised to find a brewer tossing espresso into an amber and wanted to try it - not suprisingly it didn't work. Pours a darker amber color but very translucent. The espresso is noticable but ends up being too much for such a light body. The ensuing lemon peel flavor doesn't help either as the contrast between the two aforementioned flavors is hardly tasty. A friend trying it on a blind taste test said it reminded him of soy sauce - no joke. A very confusing amber that I cannot recommend.

4.14/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

What a fascinating surprise! I bought a Folly Pack, expecting to find three Old Cherry's in it, and the OC had been replaced with this new beer.

Moderate pour into my New Belgium goblet yields a two-finger off-white head (fades fairly quickly) over a clear chestnut body. Decent appearance. Not much lacing.

Smell is strong and overtly coffee, and it smells good. Decent malty undertones, with hints of maybe Cascade hops.

Taste is like the smell, though not so strong; and the lemon peel is certainly there, though very subtle. This tasted so much like coffee, I considered putting cream and sugar in it. I really like the taste.

Weakest aspect of the beer is the mouthfeel. Pretty thin.

Very easy to drink. I want more of this.

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

brownish with a red hue, little to no head to speak of.

smells of rish malts and a hint of hops. a nice coffee undertone is present can't really smell any lemon peel that should be present.

taste is smooth and rich of malts and a grainy taste. with a finish that will make any coffee lover happy. a hint of citrus in the background. I have to say this is one of the best coffee beers I've ever had. I've never seen c coffee beer that wasn't a stout.

mouth is medium and slightly oily but has a smooth finish and has superior drinkability. I wish I could get this in six packs and not only once in a blue moon on tap.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, typical New Belgium design, but the label has a giant chicken on a horse (or maybe a normal chicken on a very small horse?).

Appearance: Dark red, just a bit of brown, thin head, just a bit of lacing.

Smell: Coffee, a bit of fruit. Smells like an Americano with a bit of lemon.

Taste: Tons of coffee flavor - which is a bit strange in a beer this light in color. Tastes of espresso with a twist of lemon.

Overall impression: This is a very intesting beer - lots of interesting flavors - more coffee dominated than beer flavors, though. Still enjoyed it, and wouldn't mind see it in six packs.

2.98/5  rDev -17.2%

Got this in a pack of New Belgiums. Their newest folly! Hah!

A: Pours reddish brown. I had a hard time squeezing a lot of head out of it and it dissipated fast with almost no lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like a coffee shop. I guess that's sort of the point. I am not generally into this sort of thing, but damn, this smells good!

T: The espresso is at the core of this thing. In fact, it's completely overbearing despite the slight lemon and vanilla trying to balance it out. There's not a lot of complexity here, though, there's almost no bite to it, and honestly, it tastes sort of watery, like drinking watered down coffee with a lemon wedge in it. This one is just not doin' it for me. I prefer that my beer tastes like beer.

M: Thin, with a little carbonation that makes up for it. Not impressed.

D: Well, I could definitely pound these without really thinking about it, but I've come to expect more than that from New Belgium brews. Still, it's drinkable as a session beer, but I'd honestly rather just get Pabst or something cheap like that. As far as red ales go, this is nowhere close to something like, say, Cinder Cone, which is miles above this in terms of quality.

I'm pretty disappointed in this one. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something (if the next one is better, I'll be sure to edit this review to reflect that).

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

Okay this beer got to me. I love the smell of coffee but for some odd reason am not a real great conissour of coffee. I cannot seem to shake the fact that I had sampled what tastes like an espresso beer so late at night. I think there was too much esspresso in this beer.

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%

This is from a growler brought home from Ft. Collins.
Pours a cloudy tan color with a decent amount of foam, but nothing too rocky.
The smells like sweet coffee...seriously.
If you've had coffee beers before, none of them have the sheer amount of coffee flavor this one does. No matter how dark and black they might be, this tan beer takes the cake. The problem is that this beer is also a bit of a one trick pony. It tastes like black coffee with a little sugar in it, but not much else. I don't get much in the way of hops and only the faintest hint of malt.
Pretty interesting, but certainly not something you'd probably want to make a session out of.
I like the idea of having this in bombers or part of variety packs, but there's pretty much no way I'd want a 6-pack.
Still, for what it is - this is the king of coffee brews.

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

12 oz. bottle came as a part of the Folly Pack.

Pours a dark clean amber with a small, cobwebby, egshell white head. Nose is a nice blend of caramel biscuit dough, fresh coffee, and some mild lemon zest. Taste follows the nose's lead. Caramelly biscuit dough malts impart a touch of sweetness. Roasted coffee bite swells mid-palate, with nice chocolate overtones. More biscuit and caramel sweetness in the finish, along with a hint of lemon and herbs, and a modest dose of espresso bitterness. Nice. Medium body goes down smoothly. Pretty good!

4.72/5  rDev +31.1%

Had this on tap at the Ginger Man in Dallas.

I like the color, very dark/coffee amber. Decent head and lacing.

Smell of coffee/espesso, interesting malts, and hit of citrus. I like the strength of the coffee smell.

Taste wasn't as strong as the smell leads you to think it will be. That's a strong point, I think. Espresso comes through, but tempered with some vanilla/caramel hint. Just a pinch of hop there too, but doesn't hurt, just compliments.

Mouthfeel was just as it should be for this ale, smooth and easy. Medium bodied.

This is a very drinkable ale. I like the idea of a espresso ale for breakfast.

Most of the New Belgium offerings hit their mark, and this one does, dead on. I will definitely snag a case for the favorite ale 'fridge, when I can find it.

A - Poured out a cloudy, copper color with a foamy, bubbly, two-finger head. It left nice lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of expresso, lemon and some caramel malt. Very interesting.

T - It tasted of expresso, vanilla, caramel and some bitter hop kick. Great coffee flavor.

M - It was smooth and soft. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is very unique and very good. I think it should be a regular release.

4.27/5  rDev +18.6%

Had this one on tap at The Ginger Man....

pours up a red amber color with a decent off white head. decent lacing. the nose is sweet malts, coffee bean and brewed coffee aromas. the taste is espresso, coffee bean, vanilla, full bodied, medium carbo. I didn't really detect any lemon flavors or aromas but New Belgium holds a solid place in my book when they release good brews like this.

2.15/5  rDev -40.3%

On tap at the Saucer in Houston. Pours a light, clear, brown into the glass with a thin white head. Aroma smells like fat tire served out of a coffee urn. Flavor really rubs me the wrong way. The coffee flavor I get from this beer tastes like a pot of coffee that you left sitting over a weekend and then tried to reheat. I love that a brewery of New Belgium's size experiments with beers like this, but for me this one was a complete miss.

4.32/5  rDev +20%

I had this on tap at the Freakin Frog in Vegas. It was listed as an "ale with espresso", usually implying a coffee stout (at least to me) but this time it's an amber beer. The smell was very nice, malty with loads of coffee. The beer tastes mainly sweet, with a nice coffee after-taste that lasts a long time. Very good, even better than I expected, but then again I didn't know it was New Belgium (which would have raised expectations right away but this beer meets those standards).

Giddy Up! from New Belgium Brewing