Bottleworks 10th Anniversary Wild Ale | New Belgium Brewing

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-11-2009

4.06/5  rDev -7.9%

4.58/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.29/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.49/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured at Stone Sour Fest #1 on 7/19/09.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.75/5  rDev -15%

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

750ml

Big thanks goes out to Jay23 for bringing this along to a tasting at d0b's place last weekend, along with the wings and other gem-ified brews, thanks Jay! New Belgium's Bottleworks 10th Anny shows off a hazy peach body that has the tendency to glow when any light hits. A tight white head snapped to a finger in height and diminished to a skimming rather quickly leaving behind a patch of lace here and a chunk of lace there.

The nose sports all kinds of delicious bretty funkiness. Horsefunk hits off the bat, not a lot but enough to let me know it's there. Shortly after with some warming along comes the sweat socks and a deep tart peachiness that makes my mouth water uncontrollably. A candy like aroma that reminds me of the sweet and sour that is Sweet Tarts also come along at a healthy clip. Stone fruit pits glide through here and there of all varieties...Wow!

Each drink follows the hugely complex aroma step-by-step which is a feat in and of itself. A biting sourness hits right off the bat that super acidic and right up my alley. Musty, tart peaches come along quickly along with all those wonderful barnyard qualities mentioned in the aroma and a squeeze of lemon juice. The different stone fruits each play their own role but they're always evolving and changing. This is one hell of a fruity, puckering sour beer.

An active carbonation never reaches prickly but is lively enough to scrub the sour right off my tongue after each drink. The sourness is making my mouth water right now, one week later, while I write this review. The body has a light airy feel, especially when the carbonation takes hold. The finish is dry and manages to accentuate the sourness up front.

My glass was tipped nearly nonstop when filled with this delicious nectar and while it wasn't my nose was jammed in the glass. If I didn't get the little bit of heartburn I did when drinking this beauty I'd have given it a 5 for drinkability without a doubt.

I didn't expect to ever try this beer and am certainly glad I had the chance. This is one of the best American sours I've ever had, hugely complex and delicious. Thanks for sharing Jay!

Reviewed: 6/27/09

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Review from notes. Shared during my first epic Philly tasting on 3-26-11. Side-by-side with NB Falling Rock 10th and Twisted Spoke 15th, this was #1 of the three for me.

L - Medium caramel syrup-colored brew with a frothy head that holds for a couple minutes. Crystal clear and pristine liquid.

S - Lemon and light lemon zest, creme brulee sugar-topped dark bing cherries, sweet oak and vinous notes. Very clean and precise.

T - Soft, sweet, sour, and really pristine. Fresh brown wood, fresh-picked bing cherries, touch of lemon and pith, dialed back, perfectly restrained acetic acid, nice vinousness that really finishes it perfectly.

M - Coats the palate nicely and fully; ig enough to give the flavor a full ride yet comes off the finish effortlessly.

O - Delightful and delicious - a real treat!

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

4.46/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Opened at TN whales tasting 3/16/2013. Thanks to CurtisMcArthur for opening this and the other later Bottleworks beers.

Pours a complex sunny amber color with hints of red/pink.

Smells super tart, cherries and other fruit, hints of ketchup and sweet malt like I get from most New Belgium sours. I am fully expecting this to be stomach shreddingly acidic.

And it is! Super sour, apple and cherry fruitiness, hints of that Flanders Red type maltiness but they're mostly covered by the pure acidity. This is awesome.

Drinkability is really pretty good considering the crazy acidity.

Up there with the most sour beers I've had, I love this. Our official geek of the tasting, Brandon, was measuring the ph of all the sours we drank and this was easily the lowest at 3.04 if I remember correctly.

9.4/10

4.67/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks, Ethan!

Misty / cloudy maroon body, plenty of white head. Funky raspberry, cheesy, and yeasty aroma ain't no tease. Super acetic taste holds plenty of ulcer-inducing sourness, and I LOVE it! Loads of raspberry and other ripe fruits compose this complex and delicious American Wild. Ranks among my favorite domestic sours.

One of my favorites from the ~dozen sours we opened tonight.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%