Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars | New Belgium Brewing

Added by mattmaples on 07-20-2009

firstprev| 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next → last
Reviews: 410 | Ratings: 758
2.76/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance: This was a hazey, amber-orange beer with lots of chunks of yeast floating throughout. The cream colored head rose up big (up and out that is; I should pay better attention). It was fluffy and dense, settling down very slowly and leaving a lot of lace. The beer looked good, but it was all downhill from there.

Smell: The aroma was very light. Just some mild malt and a clean, crisp hoppiness. Possibly a whiff of yeast. I took a sniff directly from the bottle, and it smelled like a sour dish rag. Ecchhh! Let me just put that bottle way over there . . .

Mouthfeel: Very thin and very rough.

Taste: Besides the roughness of the mouth feel, the biggest thing I noticed about this brew was its dryness. There was a combination of sour tartness and hops upfront that quickly dissipated into nothing, leaving a very dry feeling in the mouth. Then, a funky after taste, partially because of the yeast, emerged on the sides of the tongue that just wouldn't go way. And trust me, I wanted it to.

As the beer warmed up, a little bit of malt flavor started to develop. While it did stop me from giving this beer an even lower "taste" rating, it did not save it.

This was my first and last time with this beer.

2.66/5  rDev -27.5%

The beer pours a hazy dark yellow like a homebrew; however, that is acceptable for the style. What makes the looks of this beer astounding is the head. Holy moley, the head is rock-solid. Rocky rocky whiteness. And the lacing is quite impressive.

I'm not sure what I expected from the nose on this beer . . . but it is suprisingly muted -- especially considering . . .

The taste! Wow. I really enjoyed this beer during my first 'non-review' casual drink. Perhaps, since this is a semi-wild brew there is a fair amount of bottle-to-bottle variation, but I'm not sure how I feel about this guy at all. It tastes heavily of tootie-frootie gum. Tootie-footie that was rubbed in sweaty horse. Like I said, I really liked this beer last time, and that was (presumably) from the same batch and just a few days earlier.

The mouthfeel is bubbly and dry. Bone dry. Most likely from the bugs in the brew. However, the character really works for this beer.

It's confusing. How could it be so good last time and so unsatisfying this time? Very confusing indeed. Though I would check it out. I definately now know what brett contamination tastes like.

Thanks for letting me try this ColoradoBob. It's definately unique. It's like a rollercoaster that you puke after: you don't regret taking the ride, but you're not so sure you'd do it again.

2.61/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer's lively carbonation rises up into a medium head over the hazy orange-gold body. But oh no how things go downhill from here...

The nose is musty and flatulent. This mustiness reminds me of the boxes of camping gear my parents used to keep in the basement. In fact, maybe they still do keep those boxes down there... I really can't get over this element, which carries over into the flavor.

Sorry, this beer is of little use to me.

2.53/5  rDev -31.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle on 2/15/10.

A - Pours a mostly clear orangish amber with 2 inches of soapy foam that quickly disappeared leaving plenty of lacing

S - slightly watered down brett and citrus aroma dominated by lemon

T - lemony flavor with some sort of spice, slightly brett funk, there is something weird, sort of lemon rind, but not good in my opinion

M - good carbonation, slightly metallic feel

D - not very drinkable in my opinion, the flavor is very off putting. Not sure if it would change over time, i have another bottle, maybe i'll let it sit for a few years, thats the next time I would want to try this one.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a clear deep golden color ale with a large foamy head that disappeared way too quickly without any lacing. Aroma of spices with bland malt base and light dry Brett notes. Taste is also dominated by light spice mix with notes of bland Belgian style malt with a very faint funky aftertaste. Body is a bit light for style with average carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Very disappointing from a brewery who usual produce better offering.

2.49/5  rDev -32.2%

Biere De Mars pours a hazy golden color, with a nice large frothy head. There is a very strong yeasty aroma, with hints of spices, and oranges. The taste has some notes of orange, then it becomes sour, very yeasty and thick. The flavor is full, but I don't want this flavor hanging around. Overall I didnt care for this, it does have a full flavor, but too thick in taste.

2.49/5  rDev -32.2%

Draught @ New Belgium. Cloudy orange haze. Lemony nose with other hints of apple, passion fruits and peach. Light, grainy, toasty, herbal, almost minty flavor with a slight hint of a brettanomyces contribution. I’ve never been fond of this one. Southampton's Biere De Mars is like three-hundred times better.

2.36/5  rDev -35.7%

22 oz bomber pours a clear, dark gold color with an ample 3 fingers worth of off-white foam. Nice retention and some pretty incredible sheets of lace are left behind.

Nose has some brett to it, but it is quite restrained. Cinnamon, coriander and nutmeg aromas are more prevalent and give this somewhat of a pumpkin ale characteristic. Other than that there are just some mild caramel and toasty malt notes. Not what I think of in a wild ale, nor a biere de mars.

Odd, I split a bottle with a buddy a few weeks ago and there was a much stronger brettomyces presence. This bottle hardly displays any brett and the spices seem to be much heavier. I much prefer the bottle I had previously, but my ratings reflect this sample. Honestly, I will have trouble finishing the whole bomber...the spices are way too much. There is very little else on the flavor. Not much malt and certainly very little hops. This is easily the tamest wild ale I have ever had. Wondering what spices were used, coriander for sure and I am guessing some cinnamon and allspice, maybe even some cloves. Bottle says lemon verbena...some sort of lemon-esque herb? Me no likey. I will not be purchasing this one again, that is for sure.

2.27/5  rDev -38.1%

A: Nice orange color, slightly cloudy with a touch of white head on top and just enough retention for the style.

S: Slightly grainy smelling, with maybe a hint of funk. Also, heavily spiced with coriander and some floral notes

T: It tastes a bit like cardboard mixed with hints of honey and spices. No sourness, just mustiness that is underwhelming. Also some weird yeast notes. It is listed as a wild, which i guess i can see but there are really no brett notes present at all in this one.

M: A little rough around the edges and light

D: This was a drainpour for me, i drank my glass but could not finish the bottle

1.36/5  rDev -62.9%

From a bottle to my Darkness Snifter.

Pours a pale amber color. Pretty light. One finger of white head. Lacing is present.

I take a whiff and my first thought is ruh-row. This can't be good. Read the bottle. Ale with spices. Crap. I roll up the sleeves and give it a second attempt. I get clove. For sure, shitty clove in my beer. Spicy ethnic food is what comes to mind. Needless to say I'm nervous for what there is to come.

Well....My intuition is right. This tastes awful. The best way I can describe it is like this. When you've been sick and have thrown up. That acidic bile smell/taste that gets stuck in your nasal cavity. This is what this putrid crap brings to mind. I'm not kidding. It's awful.

The best thing going for this is you could use the bottle for a weapon after your done pouring it down the drain. New Belgium owes me some money.

firstprev| 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next → last