Biere De Mars | New Belgium Brewing

Liked:
3.65/5
Alströms:

1.36/5  rDev -62.7%

From a bottle to my Darkness Snifter.

Pours a pale amber color. Pretty light. One finger of white head. Lacing is present.

I take a whiff and my first thought is ruh-row. This can't be good. Read the bottle. Ale with spices. Crap. I roll up the sleeves and give it a second attempt. I get clove. For sure, shitty clove in my beer. Spicy ethnic food is what comes to mind. Needless to say I'm nervous for what there is to come.

Well....My intuition is right. This tastes awful. The best way I can describe it is like this. When you've been sick and have thrown up. That acidic bile smell/taste that gets stuck in your nasal cavity. This is what this putrid crap brings to mind. I'm not kidding. It's awful.

The best thing going for this is you could use the bottle for a weapon after your done pouring it down the drain. New Belgium owes me some money.

1.75/5  rDev -52.1%

2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

2.27/5  rDev -37.8%

A: Nice orange color, slightly cloudy with a touch of white head on top and just enough retention for the style.

S: Slightly grainy smelling, with maybe a hint of funk. Also, heavily spiced with coriander and some floral notes

T: It tastes a bit like cardboard mixed with hints of honey and spices. No sourness, just mustiness that is underwhelming. Also some weird yeast notes. It is listed as a wild, which i guess i can see but there are really no brett notes present at all in this one.

M: A little rough around the edges and light

D: This was a drainpour for me, i drank my glass but could not finish the bottle

2.36/5  rDev -35.3%

22 oz bomber pours a clear, dark gold color with an ample 3 fingers worth of off-white foam. Nice retention and some pretty incredible sheets of lace are left behind.

Nose has some brett to it, but it is quite restrained. Cinnamon, coriander and nutmeg aromas are more prevalent and give this somewhat of a pumpkin ale characteristic. Other than that there are just some mild caramel and toasty malt notes. Not what I think of in a wild ale, nor a biere de mars.

Odd, I split a bottle with a buddy a few weeks ago and there was a much stronger brettomyces presence. This bottle hardly displays any brett and the spices seem to be much heavier. I much prefer the bottle I had previously, but my ratings reflect this sample. Honestly, I will have trouble finishing the whole bomber...the spices are way too much. There is very little else on the flavor. Not much malt and certainly very little hops. This is easily the tamest wild ale I have ever had. Wondering what spices were used, coriander for sure and I am guessing some cinnamon and allspice, maybe even some cloves. Bottle says lemon verbena...some sort of lemon-esque herb? Me no likey. I will not be purchasing this one again, that is for sure.

2.49/5  rDev -31.8%

Biere De Mars pours a hazy golden color, with a nice large frothy head. There is a very strong yeasty aroma, with hints of spices, and oranges. The taste has some notes of orange, then it becomes sour, very yeasty and thick. The flavor is full, but I don't want this flavor hanging around. Overall I didnt care for this, it does have a full flavor, but too thick in taste.

2.49/5  rDev -31.8%

Draught @ New Belgium. Cloudy orange haze. Lemony nose with other hints of apple, passion fruits and peach. Light, grainy, toasty, herbal, almost minty flavor with a slight hint of a brettanomyces contribution. I’ve never been fond of this one. Southampton's Biere De Mars is like three-hundred times better.

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a clear deep golden color ale with a large foamy head that disappeared way too quickly without any lacing. Aroma of spices with bland malt base and light dry Brett notes. Taste is also dominated by light spice mix with notes of bland Belgian style malt with a very faint funky aftertaste. Body is a bit light for style with average carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Very disappointing from a brewery who usual produce better offering.

2.53/5  rDev -30.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle on 2/15/10.

A - Pours a mostly clear orangish amber with 2 inches of soapy foam that quickly disappeared leaving plenty of lacing

S - slightly watered down brett and citrus aroma dominated by lemon

T - lemony flavor with some sort of spice, slightly brett funk, there is something weird, sort of lemon rind, but not good in my opinion

M - good carbonation, slightly metallic feel

D - not very drinkable in my opinion, the flavor is very off putting. Not sure if it would change over time, i have another bottle, maybe i'll let it sit for a few years, thats the next time I would want to try this one.

Biere De Mars from New Belgium Brewing