Biere De Mars | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Biere De MarsBiere De Mars

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: Bière de Garde

Availability: Spring

Added by mattmaples on 07-20-2009

12oz. bottle thanks to jhammerly

Pours a hazy light amber with a creamy white head that maintains. Thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma is yeasty with a fruity aroma that smells slightly like fermenting apples.

Taste is malty and yeasty upfront followed by the fruity fermenting apple taste.

Light body, plenty of carbonation.

Goes down easy enough, but just a fairly average brew.

How can one be objective about a "wild ale" when one hasn't had many examples, or when they are all so different? I decided to give this one an average score of 3.0 and let the prose tell the story.

Since New Belgium products rolled into North Carolina a few months back, we've been inundated with Fat Tire, 1554, and Mothership Wit. Oh, and the Skinny Dip is selling like crazy as well. I was surprised to see this bomber on a shelf at the small wine shop in downtown Black Mountain. I though to myself: "Now here's a chance to see what New Belgium can do with something a little more risky. I must pick this up along with my cherished Pisgah items." I held onto this ale for a couple of weeks and decided to open it this evening.

It pours a golden orange, with a quick-dying fizzy head of white foam. The aroma isn't what I expected; there's a bit of sourness, but I certainly expected something a tad more potent. I feel the same regarding the flavor. There's a nice, sweet-tasting front, and you certainly sense that a decent sourness is forthcoming, but it never materializes. This was good news to my sampling partner, as she hates sour ales, but I was a little disappointed. The finish is balanced nicely with some hop bitterness and lingering nuttiness. The mouthfeel/texture is fine, and its mild flavor makes it quite drinkable.

Biere De Mars from New Belgium Brewing