Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Biere De Mars | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Bière de Garde

Availability: Spring

Added by mattmaples on 07-20-2009

3.52/5  rDev -3.6%

Well Chilled bottle. I like the bottle cap, fancy.
Not sure if they're making a serving suggestion with the glass pictured on the lid.

Poured little foam, not much there.

Smells unique. Funk. Must. Barney fruit. Old green grapes from the bottom of a produce display.

Belgian flavors, bursting over with Brett. Juicy.
Some Belgian orange peel, bready, and some bitterness.

Bit on the thin side. Orange oils cling to my tongue.

Seems average. But quite drinkable.

1.75/5  rDev -52.1%

3.25/5  rDev -11%

Peach and opaque. Retains a nice rim of head.

A very active aroma. Floral, oaky, herbal, but the sour is faint.

Faint sour in the taste as well. More hay and yeast. Like a saison with a sour accent. Bit of white wine and maybe some cherry deep down.

Nice complexity, but a little light.

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

This is good beer but it didn't really knock my socks off. To style I think it needed to be a little stronger and a little more malty. It had a yeast smell and taste that I didn’t really find agreeable. I don't know how to describe it but the only other time I encountered it was in a homebrew I did with a yeast named Nottingham (I forget the brand name) anyway I didn’t knock points off just because I’m sure it was suppose to be there, it’s just one that I didn’t like.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

4.32/5  rDev +18.4%

So happy to have this back. 3 years is a long time but absence makes the heart grow fonder. The aroma of this one is in my top 5, easy. Strong and sweet/spice. Taste is sweet, but then the spice and alc kick in. I can't get past this one. The drinkability and taste puts it way above all. I love the sourness and it lingering taste of spice. Great brew all around.

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%

I am a fan of this style. It has a strong amber color and it left nice lacing on the glass. I have a poor sense of smell but I could smell the citrus in this and that taste comes across very subtly. I had several of these and shared and everyone at the table ended up ordering 1 for themselves.

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a slightly hazy orangey/gold color with a nice dense two-finger head. Aromas of a tangerine-like blend of tart and sweet, similar to saison aromas. Definitely has the familiar aroma of wheat in there, no hops to speak of.

Taste: Orange peel and cloves, tart with a "grainy" flavor that announces the wheat and oats (this is not a bad thing). Earthy, slightly musty taste reminiscient of gueuze, but not quite as pronounced. Nice dry, slightly sweet finish that leaves a refreshing tangy flavor on my tongue. Very thirst quenching.

Medium carbonation, mouthfeel is medium-heavy, courtesy of the alternate grains.

A solid beer from NB. I hope they plan to release this one again.

3.44/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

-Malts: Oats, Wheat, Malted Barley,
-Other Lemon Verbena, Wild Yeast

Somewhere between a Bier de Garde and a small beer, New Belgium’s Biere de Mars is an interesting concoction even if only in theory: oats, wheat and barley in the grist, with Lemon Verbena and wild yeasts? Hmmm…

Well, the beer looks wonderful. The cloudy, bottle conditioned body is mostly orange, but with a nod toward yellow. An amazing head of nitro-like foam refuses to give an inch, actually growing and becoming more uneven during my review. The nose is more faint than I anticipated, smelling vaguely lemony and slightly spicy-sweet, like ginger but not. The flavor is unusual, but in a very subtle way. First, I taste beer and a touch of spice: nothing crazy or unexpected. The spice flavor might be the lemon verbena, or possibly the yeast strain, which is distinctly Belgian, reminding me a little of a Tripel. In either case, or if there’s a third cause of that flavor, it’s not bad. Actually, this beer kinda tastes like Tripel meets average, spiced homebrew. The lemon flavor is more distinct at the front of the beer, fading somewhat in the tail. At that point, a solid, but not very noticeable bitterness offsets lots of the more interesting, subtle flavors.

This is a fine beer, but it’s not as intriguing as its ingredient list and fermentation process suggest. I guess it failed to live up to my expectation of a highly unique New Belgium offering. In fact, it tasted very much like a less perfumed version of their eau de toilet flavored Saison. The lemon flavor and the relatively high carbonation suggest that this is probably a very refreshing summer beer. Too bad it’s only going to be brewed for the early Spring…

Biere De Mars from New Belgium Brewing