Biere De Mars | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Bière de Garde

Availability: Spring

Added by mattmaples on 07-20-2009

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a nice hazy gold to peach in color with a decent sized cream colored effervescent head. Lemon and a light honey sweetness in the aroma along with straw, lightly spiced sweet applesauce, and a little 'funkiness.' Some mildly tart lemon flavor in the taste, a little of the honey sweetness, a clovey smokiness, and grassiness. Mouthfeel is a ride from a little tartness to a fuzzy and smooth middle and a dry finish. Quite complex in aroma, taste, and mouthfeel, I very much enjoyed this.

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle (bought Dec. 2005, sampled Jan. 2006), capped, Best By date.

This biere de mars poured a cloudy, golden brown color with creamy, off-white foam that settled but clung to the glass a little bit. The smell was lemony citrus with some wheat aroma and a mild, subtle yeasty aroma. The taste was lightly tangy with citrus notes and some wheat maltiness. There was a floral flavor with a hint of spices and tangerine as well as some peppery notes. The mouthfeel was very smooth and creamy with medium body and mild carbonation and with a nice, witbier-like finish. This was a very enjoyable, easy drinking beer, and I hear it is expected to cellar well (I will see, as I have tucked away a sixpack).

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%

Beautiful, cloudy orange color, head falls a little quickly, though. Smells musty, spicy yeast, fruity... not a style I'm familiar with. Taste is very nice, with some apple, fresh bread, except a little too sweet for me - which creates a cloying mouthfeel that I've docked points for. Some reviewers noted too much carbonation - I didn't, maybe it was because my bottle was older (but best before date is still 1.5 months away) but I thought it could have used a little more carbonation to cut through the sweetness. I'd drink it again, but probably not tonight...

3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a orangy color, hazy if you dump all the yeast from the bottom of the bottle from the bottle-conditioning, otherwise only slightly cloudy.

You can smell fruity aromas along with a earthy, almost musty, roasted malt. Fizzy carbonation with light head.

Medium to light mouthfeel. Grainy with a fruity flavors. Spice kick at the end. No real bitterness but the yeast lingers too long if you poured the whole bottle out into the glass. Not bad however. High alcohol will sneak up on you with this smooth, light beer.

3.24/5  rDev -11.2%

A - orange, nice white creamy head atop. not hazy as advertised.
S - you can smell the oats and the hops. quite nice and inviting.
T - fairly tasty. again the oats are definable. I taste no lemon verbena though, which is disappointing.
M - mouthfeel is lightly carbonated and smooth. -
D - ah, there is nothing special about this brew. It's not like it taste like crap, I just don't look forward to drinking another one.

3.94/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was talking to a girl at the bar and i bought her a fat tire as well as one for myself. They gave us two of these. hmmm

Anyways the first thing that caught be was that the aroma was strong and pleasing. I don't have a strong sense of smell either and I could smell a strong fruity smell. Smelled sort of like apples and cherries. The girl I was with thought it smelled like cherries.

The beer was fairly sweet for a higher alcohol content beer. It tasted like it had a good amount of spices to it as well.

This beer went down alright, wasn't hard to drink, but for some reason I didn't reach for another one. I just wasn't that into it I guess

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured an opaque, murky copper color with a thin white head.

Sweet, malty smell with fruity aromas coming through pretty strong, too. Citrus and piney hops were noticeable.

Sweet flavor with a little warm bite from the alcohol. Very light hop profile is just barely noticeable. Lots of fruity flavors. Pretty well balanced mix of flavors, though not as much yeasty flavors as I was expecting.

I saw some reviews refer to very heavy carbonation, but I didn't expereince that. Sure, the carbonation was noticeable, but I didn't feel like it was too much.

A tasty brew. I might not kick back a sixer of these all in one go, but by the time I finsihed one I found myself thirsting for another, which is always a good sign.

3.03/5  rDev -17%

Poured a murky brown color. Kind of like an old penny. Lots of little floatie bits in there too. Slight head that dissolved nearly completely. Surprisingly heavy carbonation. Nose reminds me of a musty flooded basement.

Flavors was overall bland. At first the hops and alcohol were non-existent behind a moldy flavoring. After a bit a slight hop bitterness came out and something that is akin to alcohol heat but (honestly) I am not quite sure. The yeat is kind of pungent. I usually like yeast flavors but in this beer it is a bit of a turn-off because it is so musty. Medium body that kind of clings around the nasal cavity which helps the flavor linger.

12oz. bottle thanks to jhammerly

Pours a hazy light amber with a creamy white head that maintains. Thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma is yeasty with a fruity aroma that smells slightly like fermenting apples.

Taste is malty and yeasty upfront followed by the fruity fermenting apple taste.

Light body, plenty of carbonation.

Goes down easy enough, but just a fairly average brew.

4.27/5  rDev +17%

A- pours a bubbly orange copper color accompanied by a 1/2" head and some lacing. Little retent on the head. Fizzy like soda.

S- very sweet scents in the nostrils, strong apple aroma was the easiest to distinguish.

T- flavor is the brew is quite interesting as it changes tremendously as it warms. Always sweet & grainy. Slight alcoholic flavor in the background. Apple sweet flavor. Lemonish aftertaste. Wheat and oats become much more apparent as the brew warms.

M- thinner brew with a smooth yet creamy texture. Some tickle from carbonation. As it warms, it tends to leave your mouth dry.

D- Tons of differentg flavors in there. This is a brew that needs full attention to be appericated. Not a session brew. Wonderful desert brew. This is a real treat.

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

A - 1/4" off-white head that recedes to a ring quickly. No lace. Murky orange color that becomes a little clearer towards the bottom of the glass.

S - Oats. Grain. Funky cheese! Slight chocolaty malt. Dull citrus. Wheat sourness as the beer warms up. A little more funk this time around as well. Phenolic.

T - Woodsy, earthy flavor. Some hefe like banana, fruit notes. Spice. Lemon way in the rear. Candy sugar. Fairly complex beer, a lot going on.

M - Rich, round, creamy mouthfeel. Low carbonation.

D - Good drinkability. Unique beer. I have had about four spread out over the last 4 months and it keeps evolving somewhat. I am anxious to see where it goes. I think it will continue to drink well for a while.

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a very nice white head. Yeast and citrus on the nose. Flavors are saison meets belgian ale like; sour, sweet, and spicy. Bread throughout along with lemon with some spice. A tad thin but refreshing and nice merger of style/flavor. Thanks to jhammerly for the bottle.

2.86/5  rDev -21.6%

Murky medium amber with an impressive head of wheaten froth.

Aroma is strange and subdued. Bready and biscuit malts with some mushy wet-cardboard and earthy hops. Hints of dry citrus and musty wet concrete.

Flavor is strangely malty, concentrating on undercooked bread, saltines, and decomposing paper. It has faint hints od oily fruit and just a touch of musty and peppery yeast.

Body is on the light side, well-carbonated and has a harsh, almost abrasive mouthfeel. I've had better from NB.

3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

I was really ready to get down on this beer, but I think I over hyped it in my own mind. The color was a straw tinted orange with a bit of haze and a chunky white head in my Duvel glass. Smells citrus with a little pinnaple or date over a sweet malt driven yeasty fullness. Taste is twisted and not really one I like a bit to citrus and the yeast messes weird with everything else. I will have to try this again but right now, not so much.

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Pours a cloudy yellow/orange color, some carbonation, tiny head, basically no lacing.

S - Scents of malts, yeast, floral, and slight citrus.

T - The taste is tangy/malty and bready.

M - Light body. There's a carbonated feel in the mouth.

D - Drinkable. This is my first Biere De Garde, very tasty brew from NB. A nice thirst quencher.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a fairly dark orange colour that cannot be seen through. The head is ivory in colour with a creaminess. It stood about two fingers thick, and is slowly receding while leaving a sheet of lacing on the glass.

The smell has some orange and lemon, a bit of flowery aroma and sort of musty earthy notes. I detect something sharper in there, but can't say exactly what it may be. Reminds me of Orval in a way, perhaps it is the yeast? Overall impression is not bad.

The taste is fruity, tangy, reminiscent of a candy I've had(Jolly Ranchers?). A bit tart in the finish. Definitely some lemon, but sweetened. Hops are faint, and the finish has more sugary sweetness than bitterness. I could see this growing on me, but I'm not sold entirely yet.

The mouthfeel is a little bit sticky. Carbonation is medium and feels suited to the drink. The tongue is left a little peppery, if that makes sense. Works well together.

An interesting beer, and a new style for me. It borders on being a fruit beer, as it seems dominated by sweet fruit flavours. Tasty in the end, I wouldn't mind trying out a few other takes on this style.

Thanks to orrshow for sharing the wealth after his father's Vegas trip.

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Massive, explosive head – almost too much, as it interferes with the quaffing. Ice cream dollop of floating head. Gold/orange pour, until you add the bottom fermentation – then it turns ruddy brown. BBD of 9/15/06, 6.2% abv and “serve at 50 degrees” Nice.

Musty cellar aroma, Belgium yeast and sugar cane. Migrates into an earthy, citrusy with hints of lemon. Just some subtle hints of sweetness.

Dry, medium bodied – but again, HIGHLY carbonated.

This one’s a real summer sipper, it grows on you, but I don’t believe I’ll be much of a fan of this one.

3.52/5  rDev -3.6%

BBD of Oct 06

Pours deep honey to amber color with pretty good clarity & a fluffy white head. Great lacing & head retention

Smell: Slight leather and fruit notes

Taste: Citric & apricot notes, slight tea-like bitterness with dryness. Finishes fruitty (dates & apricots) & dry,

MF: Slightly sruppy, but nicely carbonated

Pretty drinkable, just not sure I'd enjoy more than 2, due to the style. Pretty spot on representation IMHO

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured into a goblet-style glass. A hazy golden-orange and a very thin head. The sweet aroma of oranges, pineapple, and some spices. This is different to say the least. There are definite characteristics of a Belgian, but there is something else that I can't place. Mouthfeel is thin to medium which can help with its drinkibility, but I couldn't have more than one in a sitting. This is not really my style.

2.66/5  rDev -27.1%

The beer pours a hazy dark yellow like a homebrew; however, that is acceptable for the style. What makes the looks of this beer astounding is the head. Holy moley, the head is rock-solid. Rocky rocky whiteness. And the lacing is quite impressive.

I'm not sure what I expected from the nose on this beer . . . but it is suprisingly muted -- especially considering . . .

The taste! Wow. I really enjoyed this beer during my first 'non-review' casual drink. Perhaps, since this is a semi-wild brew there is a fair amount of bottle-to-bottle variation, but I'm not sure how I feel about this guy at all. It tastes heavily of tootie-frootie gum. Tootie-footie that was rubbed in sweaty horse. Like I said, I really liked this beer last time, and that was (presumably) from the same batch and just a few days earlier.

The mouthfeel is bubbly and dry. Bone dry. Most likely from the bugs in the brew. However, the character really works for this beer.

It's confusing. How could it be so good last time and so unsatisfying this time? Very confusing indeed. Though I would check it out. I definately now know what brett contamination tastes like.

Thanks for letting me try this ColoradoBob. It's definately unique. It's like a rollercoaster that you puke after: you don't regret taking the ride, but you're not so sure you'd do it again.

I had this before and never thought much of it but this year I was told there was some brett funkiness added so I tried it and I’m glad I did. It poured cloudy and orange and smelled like a wild hoppy ale. The taste is pleasant and easy and would make a great intro to the style since the tartness is mild despite the funk. It would be a great food beer.

2.49/5  rDev -31.8%

Draught @ New Belgium. Cloudy orange haze. Lemony nose with other hints of apple, passion fruits and peach. Light, grainy, toasty, herbal, almost minty flavor with a slight hint of a brettanomyces contribution. I’ve never been fond of this one. Southampton's Biere De Mars is like three-hundred times better.

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

12oz bottle from mentor as part of BIF 33. <Team Spring Rules!> Thanks for the opportunity. Label says best before 7Jul06. Enjoyed at cellarish temp, since my fridge crapped out last night.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" off-white head above the cloudy amber brew. Head lasts well, fading slowly, with lots of sticky lacing. Aroma is malty sweet and abundantly spiced. Taste is lightly sweet, with a citric tang, and spices on top. A bit busy for me. Mouthfeel and drinkability are not bad, was just hoping for a little bit more. An acceptable Biere de Garde that I would revisit if the occasion presented itself.

Poured into pint glass.
An unfiltered look, but darker than a typical wheat beer. Amber/caramel color, hazy, light head that endured.
Mostly citrus smell, some lemon grass overpowered by malt.
Taste was a bit of the opposite. More lemon than malt, yet the malt makes it 'thicker' than it looks. Drinks well

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Appears a hazy light gold with a small white head and scattered lacing left around the glass.
Smell is of spicey apple skins, yeast, citrus, and fruits.
Taste is of the same aromas in a decent mix, making for an enjoyable brew.
Mouthfeel is yeasty, lightly carbonated.

Biere De Mars from New Belgium Brewing