Tart Lychee | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Three year old Wild Beer blended with lychee and a touch of Ceylon cinnamon.

Added by Overlord on 07-20-2009

2.62/5  rDev -33.2%

Heard this was different from bottle compared to tap.

Pours solid haze purulent yellow. No foam save some surface etch. Nose is overdone with the cinnamon. Some tart and sweetness in the back, but this time, cinnamon dominates (waaay different than tap for me). Tart with more cinnamon and some lychee juice to help pucker me up. Medium on full bodied with light carb and a semi dry finish. It's quite the novelty.
2/2.5/3/2/2.5 -

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

Disclaimer: I don't really care for sours. Got this as part of a tasting flight. That said, it is the best sour I've ever tasted.
The color is about lager-light, slightly cloudy, with a thick white head that hangs around forever. The smell is sweet malt. The taste is super sour as you would expect, but balanced with a fair amount of sweetness and an appley taste on the back of the tongue.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Doing best to review to style here. Pours a pale honey color with slight haze, minimal head. Nose is somewhat timid, which was a surprise. Some candied fruits there. Palate offers a weird sour fruit with cinnamon flavor that leads to an off-putting aftertaste resembling a bile vomit taste that doesn't exactly evoke positive memories. Wish it wasn't there but I can't get past it. Maybe I let this beer warm too much.

3.01/5  rDev -23.2%

Wow - When I first had Tart Lychee on tap two years ago, I thought it was the best beer I had ever had. I've been drinking craft beer for 22 years, and making it for 3 - so I don't say this lightly. I had reached out to them to find out that it was a one-time only production and because they had to use an expensive 3,000 lbs of lychees for the batch - it would never be made again. What made it so good was the great journey it took you on - from the extreme sweetness on first smell, to the extreme tartness on the finish. I'd never had a beer that had that wide a range between the two.

When I first heard about TL being released in bottles, I ran out to stores till I found one that had it and bought the only case they had. As soon as I was able to cool it down enough, I popped it open to sample it.

In the vein of being constructive, I will say that it is a pleasant enough beer to drink. In the vein of being truthful, I will say that I could not have been more disappointed in the massive difference between the first release and this one. They are NOT the same beer, they just share the same name. The extreme 'lychee' nose is gone, the extreme tartness at the finish with it.

This is a pleasant enough sour ale that can fit in with most average sours one can find at stores. I would really like to know what was behind the recipe change. I would prefer to have paid 2X for the original than the $11/bottle I paid for this one.

Any info. on this is much appreciated.

3.03/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured a nice, hazy orange. Very little head.

Smells very faintly of a musty basement, with just a touch of sweetness

Taste kinda let me down. The taste is of a grapefruit? soda. I'm sort of confused by this flavor. Wild Ale is something I NEVER would've guessed for the style. It is more like a fruit beer gone wrong.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied.

This beer was ok....I don't think I'll feel the need to revisit this one again.

Tart Lychee from New Belgium Brewing