Lips Of Faith - Tart Lychee | New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Tart LycheeLips Of Faith - Tart Lychee

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States

Style: American Wild Ale

Three year old Wild Beer blended with lychee and a touch of Ceylon cinnamon.

Added by Overlord on 07-20-2009

Reviews: 210 | Ratings: 761
4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from bomber into CBS snifter. Served chilled...

A) Light copper with haze. A finger of foam was present but quickly dissipated to a collar. A bit of lacing also noted.

S) Tart... Indeed. Lychee fruit... I'll take their word for it. I got a peach melba frozen yogurt aroma. Strange, but it's what I got. I have to say, I enjoyed the nose on this brew.

T) I really liked the twang here. Not too tart or sour four my tastes at all. Definitely a little woody, lightly spiced, and fruity, which I assume was the lychee. Really nice aftertaste.

M) Medium body with mild carbonation. Really quite nice. The tartness gets you smacking those gums, but it also makes you crave another sip.

O) This was perfect for a warm summer day. Highly enjoyable, and I am glad to recommend. Cheers...

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Cloudy, golden-yellow with a fluffy, white head that builds and fades quickly. No lace or retention.

S: Slightly funky & fruity. If you give it enough time, you can smell the cinnamon.

T: Tart, funky, fruity, bright, effervescent, refreshing, and finally...delicious!

M: Incredible stuff. Perfect carbonation. I could drink this all summer.

O: Fresh, crisp, clean. A great brunch beer that serves as a great alternative to a mimosa or something of that nature.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Disclaimer – I have never eaten a lychee, which means I do not know what to expect from this, and I have no point of reference regarding whether or not the beer tastes like lychee.

This was a cloudy yellow. When I first poured it into a glass, it smelled like champagne. This faded and it was slightly sweet and sour. I could taste the booze and almost a faint pine taste. It tasted fruity, but because I have never had a lychee I am not certain if it tasted like lychee. However, there was a distinct taste in there that I have never tasted in other beers, which I presume may have been lychee. I definitely picked up on the cinnamon. It is tart, but not to the extent of a good sour beer.

Other details: There was lots of sediment in the bottle. It was nicely carbonated. It is different than anything I have had, and because of that, I recommend others try it. Although this may not be my favorite beer, it challenged me. I like that. I respect this strange brew.

I’ll have another.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

Beer served in a New Belgium stemmed glass because I'm not an idiot. I know how to drink a beer. Beer is yellow and hazy with a white head, some lacing, moderate carbonation, nice retention.

Aroma is fruity, nice.

Beer is light and fruity with only a hint of tartness on the finish. This fruit would not have done well in a beer with high bitterness so I am really enjoying it. The fruit is sort of pineapple but lighter in flavor, a very nice little beer.

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

A: poured a pale golden yellow in color with a thin head that left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: there was lots of bready character upfront on the nose with lots of fruit notes coming through and spices were noticeable as well.

T: lots of fruit flavor on the first sip that I am assuming was lychee alongside grain and spice accents.

M: the brew was light to medium in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a fruity, bready, mild spice, and mild tart finish.

O: overall it was an interesting beer and was glad to have tried. I would have more for sure.

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

Tried at Mckay's Richland with the New Belgium Rep. 12 oz schooner on 70/30 nitro mix.

Appearance: cloudy orange gold, due to the carapils malt & yeast
Smell: tart and fruity with a touch of spice
Taste: melon and citrus, both sour tart yet sweet, Bready tastes with some cinnamon.
Mouthfeel: full and creamy
Overall: good but not great, better warm a littler than ice cold. A slight clash in taste between the melon and citrus for me.

3.12/5  rDev -20.4%

New Belgium Tart Lychee

Appearance: The first sour ale this reviewer has experienced pours a murky yellow-orange that looks a bit like orange juice or a mimosa. It tops off with one finger of a bubbly, yet smooth crust of yellow-white head that quickly disappears. Carbonation is evident, though not incredibly active. Overall, Tart Lychee is a pretty, yet pretty average looking beer.

Smell: True to its name and categorization, the beer smells tart and sour, not unlike a very potent glass of orange juice, or perhaps a grapefruit/raspberry/orange juice mixture. There is also a strong suggestion of a wine-like grapiness in the nose. The scent is very interesting to this wild ale virgin.

Taste: Not as sour as expected, but that is certainly not a bad attribute (or lack thereof). The white grape flavors really come out more in the mouth, as do the champagne/mimosa notes. The tartness is very comparable to a ripe raspberry without the sweetness that comes with that fruit. There is a certain yeastiness to it as well (perhaps a saison yeast would have fit this better?), but very little to no malt to speak of, which is unfortunate as a bit of sweetness from a light malt would really put this one over the top. Also disappointing is the complete lack of cinnamon anywhere on the palate, which causes one to call false advertisement. It finishes relatively dry, and does not provide the puckering, mouthwatering sensation that one usually associates with sour/tart flavors. This dryness makes for a very refreshing drink, again, much like a mimosa.

Mouthfeel: The yeast gives the beverage the bite that one expects, which really complements the moderate carbonation and adds to the refreshing characteristic. It is a bit thin and watery on the lips, but, again, this only makes it more refreshing and easier to drink; still, a bit more body might help Tart Lychee immensely.

Overall: While an extremely refreshing beverage, Tart Lychee has very few characteristics of a beer. For all this reviewer knows one could be drinking a wine and never know. Still, the taste and smell were interesting and quite tasty, yet one cannot help but find the beer wanting…something, something more. It is definitely not bad, but incredibly average. Perhaps a different sour ale will convert this reviewer, but so far as this the style has yet to sell me. 12.5/20

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

A - A hazy yellow beer. Not really the prettiest thing out there, but inoffensive.

S - Sour fruits, some spices going on but just fruity all the way through

T - The first sip was while the beer was pretty cold, but the first thing that hits you is the sour fruits in this ale. It is however mild, and not overpowering. The malts and a bready/grainy quality floats over the tongue midway and there is the spice from the cinnamon on the finish. The lingering spices stick around a bit, but they aren't too overdone. As the beer warms, more of the sourness comes through and a slightly acidic quality comes out. Never overdone though, and easy to drink.

M - medium bodied to thin with good carbonation through.

O - a tasty, and good entry sour to those that may be intimidated by the style or just new to sours in general. I highly recommend it.

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours out slightly hazy, a nice golden hue. No real head.

Sour fruit with oak start the smell. Sweet and pale malts follow, with just a hint of cinnamon at the finish. Looking forward to my first sip!

Sour fruit and bready yeast start this beer off. I assume the fruit is lychee. It reminds me of dry sour apple. Pale malts come in around the middle with a dry oak and slightly sour finish. Couldn't find the cinnamon I smelled though. Goes down very well.

Very easy to drink sour. I'd recommend it as an intro beer or one for seasoned sour beer fans. A well balanced offering from New Belgium.

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass, unknown bottled date, I love a sour beer so I'm excited to try this wild ale. This pours a hazy yellowish brown color with a short lived off white color which doesn't leave any type of lacing. The smells are of a little tartness, some cinnamon. The taste isn't as sour as I was hoping, a little brett, some cranberry juice, cinnamon, not bad though, just not quite what I was expecting.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

I poured a bottle into a fruit glass.

Appearance- Cloudy golden color with a half a fingers worth of head. Thin watery lacing.

Smell- Tart fruity aroma with notes of cinnamon.

Taste- Same as the nose with a sweet taste.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium bodied. Crisp and slightly dry. mellow amount of carbonation.

Overall- A refreshing brew and very well done. A nice change of pace from other summer beers.

2.62/5  rDev -33.2%

Heard this was different from bottle compared to tap.

Pours solid haze purulent yellow. No foam save some surface etch. Nose is overdone with the cinnamon. Some tart and sweetness in the back, but this time, cinnamon dominates (waaay different than tap for me). Tart with more cinnamon and some lychee juice to help pucker me up. Medium on full bodied with light carb and a semi dry finish. It's quite the novelty.
2/2.5/3/2/2.5 -

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

From 06/07/12 notes. Was very happy to see this on tap at RFD in Washington, DC before Lupulin. Served in a tulip.

a - Pours a hazy yellow-orange color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of brett, sour dark fruits, light spice, fruity malts. Very nice mix of brett and sour fruits, I really like the nose.

t - Tastes of brett, lightly soured dark fruits, bready malts, fruity malts. Very good still and the brett is still here, though the taste is not as sour as the nose.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall a very nice beer. Lots of brett and the nose was awesome with a nice amount of sour dark fruits as well. Hope to see this in bottles as I'd definitely pick it up, and would like to have it again.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a hazed amber gold with minimal head and beading - although served pretty damn cold so I guess we'll see. Good lacing nonetheless.

Pear, all spice, rotten grapes, mollases, sour bits, simple sugar. Very unique. Can't quite tell if it's a winning combo yet though.

Certainly a genre bending specimen. The sour serves a punch that I didn't think it would. Those earthy fruits take a seat right behind the mellow tart forefront. Interesting concept of a beer.

Overall, this is one that I would definitely recommend to anyone seeking a change of pace. A solid sour? Maybe not - but that doesn't detract from the overall experience as long as you keep an open mind.

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

Smell of this one is quite tart in a fruity way with an underlying sweetness there as well that I'll assume is from the lychee but I'd actually never even HEARD of lychee before this beer so it'd be a bit dishonest to say this beer smells like lychee. A hint of cinnamon as well.

Pours golden (much lighter than I figured it would be, honestly) and cloudy in my glass. Head is rather minimal.

The taste is actually quite delicious, especially for a person who wants a sour beer without it being TOO sour, as many wild ales tend to be. It has the typical wild ale fruity sourness certainly present, but it's tempered quite a bit of the sweetness of the lychee, which creates a beer that comes across as mildly sour and fruity...a nice balance. Underneath it all is a small spiciness that comes from the cinnamon which is noticed and appreciated to add complexity.

I have a problem with sour beers sometimes giving me heartburn due to the tartness but this wasn't a problem with this beer....it was just right and very well done. Highly recommended and enjoyed.

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

Beer is a cloudy orange-yellow with a minimal white head and minimal lacing.

Smell consists of lychee, yeast and pear. Slightly tart. A bit thin, which unfortunately held true for the taste as well.

Taste has the lychee, slightly tart, and yeast flavours. A slighty bitter finish. I get some ginger as well. Not a strongly flavoured beer, and not as sour as I had expected.

Light bodied, moderate carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden.

Overall, OK. A nice flavour but I found it weak. Perhaps this does better in the bottle.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into a tulip and enjoyed the 22oz bottle with two friends.

A – Very slight hazy deep yellow with hints of orange, has a nice fine 1 finger white head which lingered for quite a while. Nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

S – Smells of citrus, grapefruit, and reminded me of crisp fresh apple cider (probably the cinnamon).

T – Very light tart citrus flavor on the front end, finishes with the cinnamon and oak. Nothing was overpowering all flavors melded well together.

M – Very dry finishes like a dry white wine, light to medium body with nice carbonation.

O – A really nice warm weather beer, very light and refreshing with a nice tartness that wasn’t over the top.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

22 oz bottle pouring into a New Belgium glass

A- A hazy golden color with an orange tint and a two finger white head.

S- Sour, some tart fruits, lychee, some cinnamon, touch of oak.

T- Sweet malts, cinnamon, balanced out with tart lychee, really good.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- Another solid beer from the Lips of Faith Series. Wish it tasted as sour as the smell, but the cinnamon works well with the beer. Definitely will pick up again.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

On tap at World of Beer in Raleigh

A - hazy yellow with a soft cap of white, dense head that has good retention.

S - tart, sour, cinnamon

T - nice tartness up front, mouthpuckeringly sour, a hint of cinnamon in the finish, light sweet fruitiness throughout

M - mouthpuckering, smooth, crisp, heavy carbonation leading to a lighter body

This was a delicious beer. It was perfect for sitting outside on a hot day. Great flavor, great drinkability, definitely worth a try.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

Ap:Pours a warm cloudy orange with a decent head

Sm: delightful. A delicate tropical fruit smell thats neither overpowering nor too feint.

Ts: Its a rather dull and bland first taste, that dissolves into a wonderfully tart tropical fruit taste. Theres a slight hint of the cinnimon, but I mainly get fruit.

M: clean and crisp

Ov: Easy refreshing drinking. I almost wish it had been a little less mild though.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Been slacking on the reviews lately, here we go...

Pours a hazy light orange with decent head that doesn't hang around long but leaves great lacing.

Aroma is predominantly light tropical fruit and tart lemony citrus, some cinnamon, a touch of oak and funk.

Wow, lychee is a delicate flavor but it's on full display here, with a nice mix of tropical/pineapple sweetness mixed with tart lemon, some light wood and funk, some cinnamon heat, grapefruit, and a touch of alcohol heat on the end.

Just right, not too astringent like some wild ales but definitely drier than most NB beers, which I like. There's a touch of heat on the palate that melds well with the cinnamon and tart dryness.

Really enjoyed this more than I expected, lychee is a complex flavor but they nailed it. The cinnamon is fairly balanced and gives it a bit of sweetness to balance out the mainly tart flavors.
Sort of like a big berliner weisse with a twist.

4.41/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a blandish golden color.

I dominantly smell the cinnamon and lychee fruit. It really makes for an even smell, it isn't too sweet, isn't too sour. Maybe the cinnamon is to thank for this?

There is a slight lacing on the top, and its lacing around the edge of the cup. I personally like when it does that, but I also really like when there is a head to a beer that stays for more than a few seconds. This definitely lacked that.

My first sip immediately put a smile on my face! It has a sour forward taste, and a wonderful sweet after taste. That cinnamon really plays a role in this beer, I can feel the cinnamon in my throat, but its not overpowering at all.

It's a great sipper/drinking beer, and I plan on buying another soon! I paid about 7.99 or so for this beer, and I don't regret it! I don't like sour beers too much, and I don't like sweet/fruity beers as much, but I LOVE this one! Thanks!

A: Pours a hazy orangish yellow with an instant solid 1-finger frothy white head which fades quickly to a small cap and edges leaving some rings of lace.

N: Tropical fruits, funk, oak, spices, and faint yeast.

T: Meshed sweet lychee fruit with cinnamon spices interplays with funky/musty oak and some lemon citrus zest. Mildly tart with yeasty notes.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Sweet and tart. Semi-dry finish. Perhaps a tad thin. Refreshingly bright.

O: Interesting combination of lychee and cinnamon does work. Suspect Felix base with the funk and oak. Try it and see for yourself.

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Lips of Faith Tart Lychee
On tap at Eureka in San Luis Obispo, CA

Appearance: orange-yellow, small head, and good lacing.

Smell: sweettart sour and a slight fruit.

Taste: lychee, a very nice malt, and a faint sourness.

Moutfeel: medium.

This is a nice brew that has a mild sourness and nice malts.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Golden-yellowish cloudy body with 1 finger head, very little lacing. It looks delicious.

S: Yeast, citrous, funk, I can also smell some sweetness.

T: Starts off like sour but sourness doesn't last too long and it gets rounded off with some rather sweetness. I don't get much lychee or cinnamon (rather it's pretty much all white grapes and lemon, with what seems to be lychee kicking in the back), but I do get the oakiness and that distinct belgian ale + brett taste. I wish it packed a bit more punch, but it's still very enjoyable.

M: Carbonation could be a bit sharper, imo, and I wish it had more puckering-ness. While it's still dry, not as dry as other sours.

O: I enjoyed this bottle. I also really really liked the price tag. A bit on the sweet and smoother side for a wild ale (I like mine a bit less sweet, more tart and sour, and sharper) but it was solid.

Lips Of Faith - Tart Lychee from New Belgium Brewing